Advice: Dealers asked me what i want to do to draw a line under the matter..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

The sitation is regarding the clocked car sold to me by MB Dealer. Which also conked out a day after it was delivered.

So since spending 15.3k on a car, i have had to catch trains, buses, pay for unused fuel,engine oil. Chase to get the situation sorted, days off work. Not to mention i had no car for my sisters wedding! (which i bought this car for)

When car was delivered (i was not at home) i realised it ws not valeted or serviced. The car had three different mileages.

Assyst got involved, who refuse to fix the car due to it being clocked. Which they confiremed with their equipment.
MB UK got involved.

Have had untold grief with the car, not to mention stress etc..

What should i tell him?

I pretty much made out i want compensation. I refused the offer of having them find another car for me.

Any advice?

Money back and run for the hills.

Money back is fine. But what about the time wasted and other costs i have incurred?

I'm tempted to ask for more. I didn't ask for all this hassle. I just wanted a car. Thats all..

I believe the best plan of action would be to get your money back first and foremost and then get in writing that you are entitled a service FOC on your next purchase regardless of if you buy the car from their dealership or not, something like that...word it as in they would be giving you a 'good will gesture' because they're not going to want to admit liability for something like that!!

I honestly don't think you'd get much more than that in money value if you pursued a compensation claim anyway. I would play on the fact that you don't expect that kind of thing to happen with a Mercedes Dealership and it's put you out big time to go through the stress and hassle of not having a car you could use only a few days after receiving it.

I'd put it all in writing.

If you do ask for more, don't go overboard, work out what it has ACTUALLY cost you money wise, then consider the outstanding issues.
If you go too high then they will probably not agree and not offer what they would have done had your costs been more reasonable.

Your main problem here is how to truly quantify your compensation claim, enough to satisfy you - not so much that more grief ensues when/if they dispute it.

I think Donza wants some compensation for out of pocket expenses and inconvenience.
He has already said he doesn't want a replacement car from them.

I suspect it will be difficult for them to provide additional payments as he won't be providing an invoice for them to pay.

The options then become more limited and a claim through a Court is one of them.
I would think this is what they are trying to avoid as it creates bad publicity.

Much as though you don't want another car from them it might be worth looking at more expensive models from them with a view to the additional price going towards the compensation.

Obviously you would need to check any further purchase thoroughly, even if that means having Mercedes do some checks for you.

I believe the best plan of action would be to get your money back first and foremost and then get in writing that you are entitled a service FOC on your next purchase regardless of if you buy the car from their dealership or not, something like that...word it as in they would be giving you a 'good will gesture' because they're not going to want to admit liability for something like that!!

I honestly don't think you'd get much more than that in money value if you pursued a compensation claim anyway. I would play on the fact that you don't expect that kind of thing to happen with a Mercedes Dealership and it's put you out big time to go through the stress and hassle of not having a car you could use only a few days after receiving it.

I'd put it all in writing.

What is FOC?

What is FOC?

I have decided i think..
I am going to consider they look for a similar specced car. But i want it for the same price or less and the mileage taken into account on the new car.

Not only that, I am also going to ask for an 2 year extension to the warranty to allay my fears. And my first major Service FOC.

Biggest worry is the time it would take for them to find me a new car..

Last edited:
I have decided i think..
I am going to consider they look for a similar specced car. But i want it for the same price or less and the mileage taken into account on the new car.

Not only that, I am also going to ask for an 2 year extension to the warranty to allay my fears. And my first major Service FOC.

Extension to the warranty is a great idea as MBUK and the dealer will contribute I think. I agree you should push hard for the first service too!

P.S. No offence meant, but part of my job is writing letters. tenders, bids - so if I can help please shout! (I sucessfully asked for an extension from MBUK on my C class due to issues!)

Good luck! I'll be routing for you - they may just agree to those terms - they might not, but it's worth a go, after all they really don't want to be seen to have egg on their faces now do they!

Don't go for a similar spec and priced car, go up quite a bit.

Two reasons:

1. They won't want to refund any monies so can't go for a cheaper car.
2. they will source a car cheaper than your price so they can afford to move up quite a lot without losing any money.

This way you get a higher value car plus anything else you can get from it and it doesn't cost them anything apart from some lost profit.

You are in a strong position at the moment, that's why they are asking you what you want. They possibly expect you to sell yourself short.

Make a list of the actual costs you have had, then decide on a figure the additional hassle/problems/loss of vehicle has caused you and use that as your settlement figure.

Two reasons:

2. they will source a car cheaper than your price so they can afford to move up quite a lot without losing any money.

This way you get a higher value car plus anything else you can get from it and it doesn't cost them anything apart from some lost profit.

You are in a strong position at the moment, that's why they are asking you what you want. They possibly expect you to sell yourself short.

Make a list of the actual costs you have had, then decide on a figure the additional hassle/problems/loss of vehicle has caused you and use that as your settlement figure.

Thats a good answer and fact as well, in the same situation it is far cheaper for me to replace than to give money back, that way I am still earning on ther deal, though not as much as I had hpoed for in the first place

And make sure that you are dealing with the Directors office, not customer service. The two are completely different. Directors office is based in UK, and I believe after my experience far more customer focused.

David

Two reasons:

So should i state that i refuse to pay anymore than what i paid for my previous car. Which i must mention was fully loaded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom