Advice for a Mercedes virgin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baltipie

Car
E320 cdi
Hello,

I am strongly considering buying an E270 Cdi (2004) Elegance.

In fact I am going to view the car tomorrow. I was wondering what to look out for.

So far I have:

1. CHECK ALL ELECTRICS

2. Start from cold and check smell

3. CHECK ALL ELECTRICS

4. On a test drive listen for bumps and knocks over speed bumps.

5. CHECK ALL ELECTRICS

The one I want to see tomorrow has a faulty LED display on the radio (expensive?) and an "ABS Fault" warning.

Please help?!

These cars have the SBC braking system that can be expensive when it requires attention - the "ABS Fault" could be a indicator of this. Have a look elsewhere on the forum for more information. Also, the suspension springs are prone to snapping and the front suspension joints wear with time. Look for invoices to suggest that its had the necessary money spent already.

It seems to have been serviced since 90k by MSL in Birmingham who look to have a ood reputation.

With 160k the list could be endless... Just go in with your eyes wide open and be careful.

It doesn't say when the MOT expires and it'll fail if the ABS light is on. If it was simple to fix then the owner would have got it done.

I know some people see it as honest, but an advert that admits "some minor faults" would concern me. Is that masking some major faults too?

I believe there was a change of build process in 2004 that put humans in charge of installing looms rather than robots, and fixed a few other electrical issues. I'm given to understand that cars after that point have the mesh centre speaker grille, so this car with its slatted grille is before that change.

Check the radiator: early cars had issues with Valeo radiators leaking glycol into the auto box fluid.

Check for rust, particularly around the rear arches. Front wings and bonnet are aluminium.

As mentioned, beware SBC. It's effectively a £1000 service item that will crop up every 5-10 years. If the car is complaining about brakes, I'd avoid it personally.

Wait until the exhaust pipe has cooled.

It was an awful example.

Engine was smelly, white smoke on revving, leather worn badly all over and horribly dirty and black smoke in the inside rear window.

That and the fact I'm not convinced the guy actually owned the car meant I ran a mile.

Beware others.

The search continues.

Thanks for all your help by the way.

"MERCEDES E270 CDI ELEGANCE TIP TRONIC AUTO 6MONTHS TAX AND STILL GOT MOT !! ...SOMEHOW"

Just fixed that for them.

Another couple of questions for you amazing chaps:

1. Is it normal on the W211 to show warnings after the car is turned off?

2. What does the warning "SRS Restraint system not functioning. Return to Workshop" mean?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I thought as much on both counts.

I can see this may be a tough ask finding a decent 04 E Class at under £4k. Maybe I am asking too much?

I fear you aren't going to get the cream at that price, and you could easily spend a lot kissing numerous frogs.

I accept it is not going to be perfect but I am not giving up yet!

I can see this may be a tough ask finding a decent 04 E Class at under £4k. Maybe I am asking too much?

The trouble is that with the tightening MOT rules, ABS and airbag faults are going to render these cars economic write-offs, even if they're otherwise OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom