Advice for a novice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
Can an expert point me in the right direction please?

I've just bought an SL350 - condition is virtually as new. It's 2013 but only has 5,500 on it (it's been stored under cover in an underground garage for the last 6 years).
IMG_20210202_134956Small.jpg

I've just washed it - perfect condition all over. I now want a nice shine and some protection but I've never done more than wash a car previously.

I have a paint sealant and a tub of wax. Do I need to do anything before applying one or both of these? Many thanks.
IMG_20210205_182450.jpgIMG_20210205_182540.jpg

First congrats on the new car - looks lovely! If the paint is really good you could probably just apply the sealant and then the wax on top once fully cured. The Wolfgang website has some useful info on how to apply. Seems you need 12 hours with no moisture exposure.

However....it depends how far you want to go. Detailing World is pretty much the go to resource for all things re car preparation ("Detailing"). You will see there is an almost endless range of techniques and products! But the site has some good info.

If it was my car i would do a two bucket wash, go over it very gently with a clay mitt to remove any particles stuck in the paint (but you have to be careful using clay in any form), then a hand polish (Meguiars do a good one that's easy to get hold of as Halfords stock a good range), then the sealant you have, then the wax. I like to keep my cars clean and presentable but maintaining a balance of time spent! If you ask 10 people you'll generally get 10 answers on the best method!

First congrats on the new car - looks lovely! If the paint is really good you could probably just apply the sealant and then the wax on top once fully cured. The Wolfgang website has some useful info on how to apply. Seems you need 12 hours with no moisture exposure.

However....it depends how far you want to go. Detailing World is pretty much the go to resource for all things re car preparation ("Detailing"). You will see there is an almost endless range of techniques and products! But the site has some good info.

If it was my car i would do a two bucket wash, go over it very gently with a clay mitt to remove any particles stuck in the paint (but you have to be careful using clay in any form), then a hand polish (Meguiars do a good one that's easy to get hold of as Halfords stock a good range), then the sealant you have, then the wax. I like to keep my cars clean and presentable but maintaining a balance of time spent! If you ask 10 people you'll generally get 10 answers on the best method!
Is this the one:
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Thanks

Ok , the clay mitt is a good start . Get yourself some Iron decontamination spray (maybe bilt Hamber) .
Use the Decon spray , then wash the car , then clay the car using shampoo in a bucket as lube for the mitt .
Rinse again
Use the paint sealant you have next and add the wax on top of it .
Thats as cheap as possible for you , with only Iron fallout remover to buy

Ok , the clay mitt is a good start . Get yourself some Iron decontamination spray (maybe bilt Hamber) .
Use the Decon spray , then wash the car , then clay the car using shampoo in a bucket as lube for the mitt .
Rinse again
Use the paint sealant you have next and add the wax on top of it .
Thats as cheap as possible for you , with only Iron fallout remover to buy
Great advice, thanks.

Just bought Poorboys Polish and Bilt Hamber Iron decon spray.
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

So my plan is:

- Decon Spray
- 2 Bucket Wash
- Clay Mitt with shampoo as lube
- Poorboys polish
- Sealant
- Carnauba wax

That will do I think.

Many thanks all!

I don't normally enter the world of detailing,but I would caution you the sealant you want to use does not like damp,and given this is February ,I think you take my point,do what others are saying about washing and claying ,but I see you have a garage,pick a day where the car will dry outside and then put it into the garage to apply the sealant the next day,but I am no expert ,I am sure the many on here will help you out,great looking car and a great find.

I don't normally enter the world of detailing,but I would caution you the sealant you want to use does not like damp,and given this is February ,I think you take my point,do what others are saying about washing and claying ,but I see you have a garage,pick a day where the car will dry outside and then put it into the garage to apply the sealant the next day,but I am no expert ,I am sure the many on here will help you out,great looking car and a great find.
Thanks for the advice which I'll take.

If your looking for a simply maintenance sealant then look at a spray and rinse products, but apply with a damp towel then either buff dry or rinse off.
This will take far less effort than a hand applied polish, hand applied sealant then wax.

Carpro Hydro 2 light
Gyeon wetcoat
Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax.

All are good sealants and work as standalone products.

As mentioned by others, many products need a minimum air temperature of 10° to ensure bonding, but you'll also have alot of moisture in the air than will also effect bonding and longevity.

What ever your chosen method is, be sure to use a good prewash and pure shampoo with no additives or waxes for general maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom