advice / help re Private road 'accident'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If only Spike ! Unfortunately we have a couple of "left wing" residents who view that as elitism ( I think elitism is a good thing !) and won't agree to that. We have 33 properties so there is a degree of volume of residents traffic and having to stop to open and close gates would be a bind. Electric gates are expensive and pose problems for deliveries, postmen etc.
We retain a parking company who issue private PCNs when they do their rounds and we have a forest of signs and double yellows at the entry to the road but there are still those who take no notice.
We have learned to live with it and leave the parking company to absorb the wrath and insults of those they ticket.
In the past some of those we spoke to had ingenious reasons for being there. One of my favourites was the driver who said he was partially sighted and couldnt see the signs ! We also had a marked police traffic car parked while the occupants bought takeaways. They claimed to have not seen the signs - having passed 7, including the local authority road name signs showing "Private Road".
Trained observers ........not !

Don't suppose the private parking company tickets help much given their unenforceability and now private clamping is illegal so yes, I can see that you will have a problem trying to enforce this.

You might be better off giving the road to the council. They can maintain it and make it a permit zone and your problem is gone.

In the early days the council wouldnt adopt the road from new as they wouldnt take responsibility for upkeep and drainage. Thats very common round here. The new legislation a couple of years ago has required the water company to "adopt " the drains which is one less worry for us and could encourage the council to rethink. Our worry is that we are smack opposite a train station and if the local authority dont get the parking control right we could be inundated with commuters. At the moment its tolerable if a bit irritating but we are discussing with the local authority having them take over from the private parking control company. We believe that then makes PCNs legally enforceable while keeping the road private. We will see.

Thanks all,

Basically you have all said what I have said and they need to inform the insurance company and let them deal with it.

Its a worry that the family member driving the car doesn't want and I feel it could go on and on for no reason.

Thanks

Point out to said family member in very, very clear terms that they are being exceptionally stupid.

Almost certainly there will be a condition in the policy that the insured must report the accident to your insurance company within a reasonable period of time, even if not making a claim.

Failing to do so can give an insurance company the right to decline cover and if a personal injury claim (particularly a spurious one) is involved could lead to a very unhappy outcome.

Tell them to bugger off.

No witness? nothing will happen.

If there was no accident in their opinion, then there was nowt to report right?

Scrotes trying it on.
Let it go and have fun with the idiots, if they are daft enough to try this out in court.

Last edited:
I thought one was obliged to provide insurance details when asked?

Write back to crook claims managment company explaining that their client drove into the back of your car, then see how interested they are in doing anything for the whiplash chancer...

Last edited:
If this were me I would inform my insurance , and the police , of what had happened , making it clear that I was 110% certain there was no collision ( unless the other vehicle had reversed into my parked car while it was unattended ) and that I suspected the claim was fraudulent ( crash for cash scenario ) .

I thought one was obliged to provide insurance details when asked?

The legal requirement is for drivers at the scene to exchange names and addresses - nothing more .

Amg....if they are set in there ways, then there is nothing you can do.

The advice you have received is correct, inform the insurance company. The only other advice to give you, is dont report it to the police as its damage only

I would strongly suggest reporting to the police since you are certain no collision occurred and you consider the claim to be fraudulent .

Many forces have teams set up to deal with this specific crime which is rife nowadays ; the other party may even be already known to them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom