Advice Needed - Bad Service Experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my experience with a similar incident. Once they have started to lie, they cannot stop it. You then start to question yourself and your own memory/sanity. I am with you 100% in that simply "moving on" leaves you exposed to moving on to somebody else who thinks that this is the way to behave. I feel that some of them feel that they have to "level the playing field" as all of their competition is/maybe also dishonest.

I was confronted with a service invoice (non-Merc) for:

New Fuel Filters & AIr Filters.
New Pads (front & Rear).
New Engine & Gear Box Oil.

This was on my wife's car. When (a few days) after getting the car back, I went to fill the wiper fluid, which was completely empty. I noticed that the fuel filter was filthy on the outside and had obviously never been removed. Not happy, I then, looked at the ,visible front brake pads - they were low and also very dirty. Pulled the dip stick to discover black engine oil - in a petrol engine.

I was fuming. Took the car back to be told "whoops one of the lads must have got the paperwork wrong". Really?

I now use one indie for all my cars and trust him 100%.

Many years ago, I had my year old Vauxhall Cavalier serviced at the main dealer. Being a suspicious sort, the next morning, I checked that the oli and air filters had been changed and checked the oil level whilst cold.

The oil level was about half an inch above the max mark on the dipstick so I drove (slowly) back to the garage. After a while, they sheepishly informed me that the apprentice must have over-filled with oil. I asked if there was any reduction in the cost then, as I had paid for an experienced mechanic to do the work - you can guess the answer. I also asked what would they have done if I'd gone belting up the motorway with too much oil and suffered engine damage. "Oh it wouldn't have done any damage sir"! Needless to say, I had the next service done at my local independant.

Not much appears to have changed.

My car (W212) needed a new handbrake mechanism after 5 years, same symptoms as yours, was under warranty so cannot advise on cost.

If I were to be a garage mechanic and saw a dash cam, I would be very tempted to unplug the thing, bearing in mind all the bad press.... it then might not record the journey.

Just something to think about before going in all guns blazing

If I were to be a garage mechanic and saw a dash cam, I would be very tempted to unplug the thing, bearing in mind all the bad press.... it then might not record the journey.

Just something to think about before going in all guns blazing

This is possible and an option that i had considered. Due to the weather my car had gone from palladium silver to brown because of the amount of crap off of the motorway.

When i had my MOT done the guy popped open the bonnet and left his fingerprint marks something i noticed because i had been meaning to clean the car. Cleaning the car on Saturday i made a point to check whether there was a second set of hand prints again there was not any.

Now he could of done his checks without needing to open the bonnet.

I do not want to point the finger and i spoke to him today and he said that the technician checked the mechanism and that it needed re adjusting, and therefore it was not under warranty. Still seemed a bit annoyed that i wanted to take it to my inde.

I have dropped the customer service team an email asking my concerns to be addressed (preferably some footage of someone at some point in the day looking at the car) as opposed to complaining/ accusing and i have made a point of stating that i am sure that its me overthinking and someone did take a look at the car.

I will try and keep you updated, again before we pass judgement lets see what they say as i may be completely wrong.

I'm not sure how the electrics work in MB's but does the dashcam turn on when the car is unlocked, or when the car is started?

If it's when the electrics go live on unlocking, then surely the dashcam would have footage or at least audio of things happening around the car?

As I'm guessing they'd of needed to unlock it to get inside to release the bonnet catch etc

I'm not sure how the electrics work in MB's but does the dashcam turn on when the car is unlocked, or when the car is started?

If it's when the electrics go live on unlocking, then surely the dashcam would have footage or at least audio of things happening around the car?

As I'm guessing they'd of needed to unlock it to get inside to release the bonnet catch etc

It starts working when the electrics are turned on as its plugged into the cigarette lighter, so the car doesn't have to be running. One of the symptoms was the the handbrake light stayed on and it would beep to tell me to release the handbrake.. this will only happen when the electrics are on... i am no mechanic but how they could have checked this without even having the electronics on i am not sure.

They could have popped the bonnet and checked the handbrake and not bothered with checking for the handbrake light on the dash.

the camera would not have recorded anything as the cigarette lighter doesn't receive power until you have the electrics on.

Trying to be as fair as possible and weigh up all the possibilities....

Independent dealers often rely on the excesses of main dealers for the success of their own business. Provided they have a good reputation and can be trusted, a repair done there would hopefully be cheaper and establish the true nature of the fault. When you know the cause you will be in a better position to challenge the actions of the main dealer, or not, as the case may be.

They could have popped the bonnet and checked the handbrake and not bothered with checking for the handbrake light on the dash.

I'm at a loss as to why they would 'pop the bonnet' to check a handbrake mechanism ?

The last MB to have any part of the handbrake mechanism in the engine bay would have been the W110/111/112/108/109 series which had an 'umbrella' handbrake under the dash , which in turn acted on a lever affixed to the front chassis leg , and had a large wing nut adjustment on the top .

Later cars with the foot operated parking brake pull on a cable which runs down the tunnel to an adjuster under the back seat ( accessible by removing the seat and undoing an access panel ) from where the individual cable to the two back wheels run out .

Oh , and for most cars to activate the lighter , the ignition switch needs to be at least at position 1 .

I'm at a loss as to why they would 'pop the bonnet' to check a handbrake mechanism ?

The last MB to have any part of the handbrake mechanism in the engine bay would have been the W110/111/112/108/109 series which had an 'umbrella' handbrake under the dash , which in turn acted on a lever affixed to the front chassis leg , and had a large wing nut adjustment on the top .

Later cars with the foot operated parking brake pull on a cable which runs down the tunnel to an adjuster under the back seat ( accessible by removing the seat and undoing an access panel ) from where the individual cable to the two back wheels run out .

Oh , and for most cars to activate the lighter , the ignition switch needs to be at least at position 1 .

Apologies as i was not aware of exactly how the mechanism works, I have learnt something new today.

Will update all on the outcome from MB. Still waiting on them to come back after having done some investigating.

I havent been chasing as i do not have the time due to work commitments and as others have said no point in loosing sleep over it.

:)

Is your dash cam on all the time? Perhaps they didn't need to move the car and didn't need to turn the ign on to check the fault or maybe it is as you said? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Is your dash cam on all the time? Perhaps they didn't need to move the car and didn't need to turn the ign on to check the fault or maybe it is as you said? Just a thought.
The dash cam comes on when the ignition is flicked to the first position when the electrics come on. without turning on the electrics they would not have been able to see the handbrake light turning off.

So an update for your all, apologies as i have been unwell with man flu and some projectile vomiting thrown in for good measure.

The person that i spoke to at the branch was initially very prompt at replying and was quick to offer to do the work for free. However when i informed him that i just wanted to put my mind at rest with regards to someone making a fair assessment to my car he became somewhat slower to respond.

Things only got more slower when i asked whether it would be possible to view some form of CCTV. My last email to them was on Tuesday and i am still waiting for an update from them.

Now this is where it gets interesting.

I have a service plan and the car was due a service so i dropped my car off at MB Watford to do the service on Friday. They are close to work and are always very helpful and have done the previous 3 services.

A few days prior the "airbag malfunction consult workshop light" had come on. After doing a bit of googling it turned out that the seat air bag clip was loose so i plugged that in but the warning light had not gone off. I suspect it needed a reset via STAR best case... worst case it was something else and as it was out of warranty i prepared myself for the worst.

As i was feeling like death warmed up i had not had the chance to get the handbrake sorted so i asked them to sort this out to as i will not have time for at least the next month or two to get down to the indie. I informed them that Orpington had looked at it when the car still had warranty and deemed that it was an out of warranty repair.

I asked if they could take a look at the airbag and if it was going to be expensive to give me a ring.

Anyways i get back to MB at 5 to pick up the car. Sit down go through the health check etc. where i am then handed the paperwork. Expecting the worst I ask about the airbag and the handbrake and am told that they have been sorted under warranty. Confused i ask "but the car is not under warranty". her response "yes thats correct but you booked your service in before your warranty expired, i spoke to the person who deals with warranty claims and he was happy to do the work under warranty".

So the airbag needed resetting and the handbrake needed a part changing on it.

Now this is honestly an example of great customer service. They had every right to charge me for the reset of the airbag and the handbrake and didn't. Now as a customer i left smiling and with the opinion that if i have any issues i wont be mugged off

if i was to buy another Merc guess who i would consider first. This is how trust and future business is won.

Anyways i get back to MB at 5 to pick up the car. Sit down go through the health check etc. where i am then handed the paperwork. Expecting the worst I ask about the airbag and the handbrake and am told that they have been sorted under warranty. Confused i ask "but the car is not under warranty". her response "yes thats correct but you booked your service in before your warranty expired, i spoke to the person who deals with warranty claims and he was happy to do the work under warranty".

Now this is honestly an example of great customer service. They had every right to charge me for the reset of the airbag and the handbrake and didn't. Now as a customer i left smiling and with the opinion that if i have any issues i wont be mugged off

if i was to buy another Merc guess who i would consider first. This is how trust and future business is won.

Great customer service. It's kind of what you should have expect but are relieved and surprised when it happens, sadly.

I had the same kind of service from MB Tonbridge too.

Credit where credit is due.

I think sometimes you get a feel for a dealer when you are in there.

I always seem to detect smarmy sh*tty dealers and am usually right.

So an update for your all, apologies as i have been unwell with man flu and some projectile vomiting thrown in for good measure.

The person that i spoke to at the branch was initially very prompt at replying and was quick to offer to do the work for free. However when i informed him that i just wanted to put my mind at rest with regards to someone making a fair assessment to my car he became somewhat slower to respond.

Things only got more slower when i asked whether it would be possible to view some form of CCTV. My last email to them was on Tuesday and i am still waiting for an update from them.

Now this is where it gets interesting.

I have a service plan and the car was due a service so i dropped my car off at MB Watford to do the service on Friday. They are close to work and are always very helpful and have done the previous 3 services.

A few days prior the "airbag malfunction consult workshop light" had come on. After doing a bit of googling it turned out that the seat air bag clip was loose so i plugged that in but the warning light had not gone off. I suspect it needed a reset via STAR best case... worst case it was something else and as it was out of warranty i prepared myself for the worst.

As i was feeling like death warmed up i had not had the chance to get the handbrake sorted so i asked them to sort this out to as i will not have time for at least the next month or two to get down to the indie. I informed them that Orpington had looked at it when the car still had warranty and deemed that it was an out of warranty repair.

I asked if they could take a look at the airbag and if it was going to be expensive to give me a ring.

I hope you communicate all of this to the dealer principal at the place which mucked you about , and ask for a response .

I hope you communicate all of this to the dealer principal at the place which mucked you about , and ask for a response .

Yep all of this has been communicated and the dealer principle was copied into the last email. Where i informed them that the car was looked at by another dealership and taken care of under warranty.

Unfortunately yet again a response or even an acknowledgement with regards to this has yet to materialise (i emailed last Thursday).

Yep all of this has been communicated and the dealer principle was copied into the last email. Where i informed them that the car was looked at by another dealership and taken care of under warranty.

Unfortunately yet again a response or even an acknowledgement with regards to this has yet to materialise (i emailed last Thursday).

Probably why it is **** there in the first place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom