Advice needed: New C Class c300h in garage for almost a month waiting for part!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

H1JFG

Car
MERCEDES C300h HYBRID (W205), BRILLIANT BLUE, AMG LINE PREMIUM, AIR SUSPENSION, LED, 360
My 9 months old C Class (W205) c300h has been off the road for almost a month while Mercedes source a replacement part.

History of the problem is that the dashboard flashed up a "Wiper Malfunction" quickly followed by a red warning with a picture of a battery with Failure written underneath, which I understand to be a Hybrid battery failure. This was confirmed by fact that hybrid recharge % started going crazy on the dash. Jumping 10% a second rather than normal 1% a second.

Anyway, the car was recovered to Mercedes Grangemouth (Scotland) where it has sat for almost a month. The garage diagnosed the problem as a wiper motor issue and have ordered a new wiper motor, BUT they are still waiting for the new part and have no indication of when it will be available.

Is there anything I can do to escalate this or do I just have to sit and wait. The car is only 9 months old and cost over £40K and I feel very aggrieved that it is sat in the garage waiting for a mundane part like a wiper motor. If indeed it is a wiper motor. Part of me thinks the problem is with the hybrid system and they are using the wiper motor failure as a cover ...............

Any advice would be great.

What have they given you as a courtesy car ?

Trade it in for a Lexus? :D

Sorry, I don't mean it really. My inlaws have recently bought a new NX200h and although it is very well specced they are utterly underwhelmed as it's stunningly dull to drive. I gave him a go in my 8 year old C220 and he preferred that.

Solicitor's letter, perhaps? It depends on how shirty you want to get with them, I suppose. Do you have a good relationship with them? If so, perhaps a quiet chat with the dealer principal might help. I wouldn't go ballistic just yet, but would make my dissatisfaction clear to them.

The part you need doesn't even sound like its 300h specific part. Surely its the same wiper motor as all W205?

What have they given you as a courtesy car ?
They (Mercedes, not the garage) have organised a loan car via Europcar. Its an entry-level C Class (C200) which is fine, but its not my car that I paid £40K for just 9 months ago.

The part you need doesn't even sound like its 300h specific part. Surely its the same wiper motor as all W205?
The wiper motor is not specific to c300h. Which is the annoying thing. Its the same part on every W205 C Class. How can it take a month to source the part? Have they halted production of the C Class because they have no wiper motors to fit to new cars. Of course not. We know where their priorities lie.

Did your wipers work after the warning ?

If so, the answer lies elsewhere ........

They could easily take a wiper motor off of another vehicle in their stock, I smell a big RAT

They could easily take a wiper motor off of another vehicle in their stock, I smell a big RAT

This is correct. To add to this. They should be taking the motor of another car and repairing your car. I would speak with the dealer principal and lay down your timeline for the return of your car in a satisfactory condition. If that is not achievable for them? I would be demanding a return and replacement car.

Something is not quite right here. It should not take 1 month to source a wiper motor...if that is actually the root cause and not just a symptom.

However, I have just checked on eBay and at least according to the seller, the wiper motor of a C220 (W205) is not suitable for a C300:
Genuine Mercedes C Class W205 Front Wiper Motor 1397220970 & Linkage A2058200940 | eBay

It is weird, but the embedded compatibility checker clearly states that "This item does not fit Mercedes-Benz C-Class 2015 W205 [2013-2016] Saloon C 300 BlueTEC Hybrid."

In any case, if I were in your shoes I would pretend a clear deadline from your dealer to fix the issue and make clear that you expect some compensation for the inconvenience (i.e. free service, or better spec'd courtesy car, warranty extension, etc.).

Good luck!

Strong smell of B/S on this one , pop in and have a chat with the head of the dealership and ask him the real reason your car is taking so long to repair.

Before you do so then call another dealer and ask for price and availability for a new motor and see what they say.

Kenny

Did your wipers work after the warning ?

If so, the answer lies elsewhere ........

^^^

This.

Have you spoken to the dealer recently for an update on exactly what part they are waiting on and, if it's a wiper motor, is it any different from a standard one?

They've got no reason to hide anything and would kick you up the road ASAP if it was something simple. (That courtesy car is costing money). I'm no tech but would imagine the wiper warning is a sign of something a bit more in depth that needs investigation.

I feel sorry for after sales as some things, especially new tech, can be a bit trial and error to start with, likewise as they're targeted by the manufacturer to 'fix first time' they prefer to ensure its right before giving it back to you.

That said, hope it's sorted soon for you.

I hope the following help

My second W203 C class, bought about a yr old old in 2008 i think -long story short, the drivers side window made a slight rattle noise as window closed on auto shut, noise ran on for about 1/2 seconds after fully closed, took to MB main dealer under warranty repair - they gave me a 320 Clk with all the toys and said my car will be ready next day - I was at work and said cant come before 5pm they said ok - anyway, they had the car for 8 days for a window morotr par - I rang back after 5 days and politiley raised my concerns i want my car back as i was getting used to the full learther seats, new reg car, 320 engine, parking sensors/etc/etc - the mb guy told me jokingly, you want you car sir, what about one of our managers that wants his clk back, lol
took them 8 days - thye said they had diff getting hold of the part -

Similar to above (although I am not sure I understand him completely) I made Lexus (back 1999) give me the GMs LS while my IS was in for 4 days as the courtesy car was a Starlet. They said something like " the Starlet is a nice car". I said "very nice - I hope your GM likes using it as I bought a Lexus and I want a Lexus".

I would go back to them and demand £40k worth of hire car + free service(s).

I find them very accommodating if you talk to them face to face.

Strong smell of B/S on this one , pop in and have a chat with the head of the dealership and ask him the real reason your car is taking so long to repair.

Before you do so then call another dealer and ask for price and availability for a new motor and see what they say.

Kenny
I rang my local Merc garage (Sunderland) and told them the whole story and their parts guy checked on their systems and confirmed that there is zero availability on the wiper motor for the C300. No UK garages have the spare part and there are none in the supply chain. So sounds like the garage are telling the truth. Still doesn't help me get my car back but sounds less likely they are hiding anything.

Thanks for all your advise. I have another round of phone calls with them on Monday.

Can't anyone repair anything these days, It's probably something simple, they should be able to strip it down, test it electrically, and mechanically, trace the problem and fix it.

I rang my local Merc garage (Sunderland) and told them the whole story and their parts guy checked on their systems and confirmed that there is zero availability on the wiper motor for the C300. No UK garages have the spare part and there are none in the supply chain. So sounds like the garage are telling the truth. Still doesn't help me get my car back but sounds less likely they are hiding anything.

Thanks for all your advise. I have another round of phone calls with them on Monday.

Straight to MBUK and kick up hell about the parts availability. Avoid dealers as there is no help from them.

It's a new model FFS and there doesn't seem to be any parts available to fix them. Is the part fundamental flawed and spares are exhausted or is it just negligence ?

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

Can't anyone repair anything these days, It's probably something simple, they should be able to strip it down, test it electrically, and mechanically, trace the problem and fix it.

Computer say no..

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom