Advice needed: Non fault accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whizzkid11

Car
My dreaded W210 E320 CDI - Having had my injector seals replaced along with 2 injectors, the car was running beautifully. First time since I bought it in May.

I park it up in a car park, and a lady in Freedlander decides to reverse into the driver side front wing.

So now it needs an new wing, moulding paint job etc.

The lady has finally come up with her insurance details and has admitted liability to me.

She is insured by Direct Line. I am with Admiral, I have not notified Admiral yet.

Whats the best course of action to take? Should I contact my insurer? her Insurer? or get an Accident Management company involved?

I have had a quote from a local garage to and they have come up with £850 + vat, and have said call in Swift (accident Management Company).

I would be quite happy taking cash from the insurance company and getting it repaired myself - but don't know if that possible or what the best to do it is.

What should I do? I haven't contacted any insurance or any management company yet.

Contact your insurance company - you will need to notify them of a non-fault accident anyhow or your policy will be void under Admiral's T&C. (even though it's a non fault accident, it's still an accident marked against your record. While it won't affect your NCB, you will need to declare it to admiral now, and at renewal if you switch company)

At which point, you may as well let them take care of it :)

Last edited:
I had been through similar ***t and the other company was, in fact, direct line.

I phoned up Direct Line, spoke to their agent, explained everything and their repairer sorted everything out spotlessly. I did let my insurer know only for record purposes as I believe you have to by law.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as paying excess and claiming your own insurance.

I had been through similar ***t and the other company was, in fact, direct line.

I phoned up Direct Line, spoke to their agent, explained everything and their repairer sorted everything out spotlessly. I did let my insurer know only for record purposes as I believe you have to by law.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as paying excess and claiming your own insurance.

Thanks for the advise, I actually read through your whole thread, and am glad you got it sorted.

I would be quite happy if they wrote it off for a reasonable amount and let me keep the car.

Did they provide you with a hire car while your one was being repaired?

Also did you let your insurance company before or after speaking to Direct Line?

Thanks for the advise, I actually read through your whole thread, and am glad you got it sorted.

I would be quite happy if they wrote it off for a reasonable amount and let me keep the car.

Did they provide you with a hire car while your one was being repaired?

Also did you let your insurance company before or after speaking to Direct Line?

I could have taken hire car, but didn't in the end for some really odd reason.

I contacted both roughly at the same time, but I let mine know that I would first prefer to deal with 3rd party and would come back to them if there was any trouble.

I did get many annoying calls asking if I was hurt, etc. The worst part of the whole experience.

Personally I would ring Direct Line first and see what they offer to do for you, if you are happy with what DL offer to do - then just ring your insurance company 'for notification only'.

I had a similar incident last year and AXA (the third parties insurer) could not have been more helpful.

I have rung Admiral (my insurance) and notified them. they tried to send me off to Albany Assistance, but I said I wantedt o think about it.

I then called up Direct Line, and they needed to confirm responsibility from their policyholder, and once done, their 3rd party team will call me within 24 hours.

So hopefully will hear back from them tomorrow - will keep everyone posted.

I have rung Admiral (my insurance) and notified them. they tried to send me off to Albany Assistance, but I said I wantedt o think about it.

I then called up Direct Line, and they needed to confirm responsibility from their policyholder, and once done, their 3rd party team will call me within 24 hours.

So hopefully will hear back from them tomorrow - will keep everyone posted.
I had my Audi hit when parked at work (by an opthalmic surgeon!), we were both with Direct Line and he called them to admit blame.

When they called me it was to tell me that the repair company would be calling the next day and that it was all arranged including the courtesy car. Sometimes it can all work out, hope it does for you!

I am surprised that Direct Line did not contact you first - they are usually pretty quick in contacting third party, to prevent Accident Management companies from getting involved. My experience with Direct Line in a similar case was very good.

Recently having my W124 written off and being insured by a company in the Admiral group, I can inform you that if you claim through your insurance, and it's a no blame accident, you can recover your excess and don't lose your NCB.

Accident management company certainly took all the hassle when I was rear ended BUT I was horrified when I found out they were charging other insurer over £600 per day all in for courtesy car ..... ok it was a BMW 750 (M Sport) but its no wonder premiums are going up!

Accident management company certainly took all the hassle when I was rear ended BUT I was horrified when I found out they were charging other insurer over £600 per day all in for courtesy car ..... ok it was a BMW 750 (M Sport) but its no wonder premiums are going up!

Which AMC was that ?

@ 16:00 - called DirectLine having not heard anything, and they say it usually takes 3-4 days for the case to be assigned to the 3rd party team - and that me being contacted within 24hours was mis-information - and they were sorry. I mentioned I was being pestered by 3rd party accident management companies and she said well sorry- your case hasn't even been assigned yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom