Advice Needed on Estate Car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flango, Nov 6, 2008.

1. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Hi All

As some of you know I was ready for changing my work wagon, but due to the credit crunch and other things a lot of my consultancy work seems to be drying up. However I have been offered a 12 month contract which would see me commuting from home to office 38 miles each way every day and sometimes to customers premises as well. I approximate my mileage for next year to be around 25k. I was going to change to a new Ford Kuga but now will no longer need 4 wheel drive. My new employer is prepared to offer me a £300 month car allowance which they will pay up front as a lump sum (£3600) my thinking is to get a large estate which would look smart to my new company and customers, but because things are tight at the moment I would like to fully fund the car out of the new car allowance, that would give me around £3k to spend on a car. My thinking is E class Estate as new as I can 1998 - 2000 ish I guess. Not to bothered if Petrol or Diesel but the only engines I know are the 2.3 Kompressor and the 3.2 V6 petrols, so I am after some advice on the others 2.2 diesel, 3.0 diesel, 2.0 Petrol and what fuel consumption I am realistically going to see from an e class estate. The commute by the way will be 95% motorway . Any help advice or suggestions most welcome.

Thanks All:)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    UnMarked has a Renault Laguna 1.9dci estate. On the motorway it will give 55mpg - his average based on a roughly 60 mile round trip between my place and his work is prob around 44 mpg. Very comfy car, plenty of torque and excellent handling. And you would get one that is about 6 years old for the money your talking about.

So do think outside of the box as well as three pointy star ;)

3. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    I once owned a 1997 3 litre turbo diesel estate and is was a super car. Problem with that particular age of car is the rust issues. Make sure you look at everything and do a search on here to give you guides on where to look. Generally though, my estate was superb, mpg high 30's on motorways and high 20's arounf town. The straight 6 engine is bullet proof, it has been around a long time. The estate is cavernous and will carry 5 adults easilly and all their luggage as well.

4. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    have a look on auto trader - we were discusing "recession bargains" last night over on another forum. somebody spotted a superb looking Saab estate with 85k miles for £4200 on a 52 plate. There was a 3.2 Toureg for £5k, some of the prices were ridiculous

It's a great time for buyers with a bit of cash in their pockets

5. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello

MY brother had a Saab Estate Aero Hot auto, full of toys, Went well and with a private looked great.

He does 60K miles a year and that was doing just over 30mpg on the motorway, 35mpg if your easy. Yest iof you want some fun it had some vroom.

It was a 2003 and when he sold it earlier this year had 60K miles. £6000.

A lot of car for the money and noone really knows what value they are when you turn up somewhere, it looked great.

Some will say, oh yes nice vectra? so what? cheap to run, fix, service and smart to look at and drive.

Flappy paddles, heated front / rear sets, cruise, xenons etc etc etc

6. kusanku

kusanku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180cdi Avant Garde
    The E class estate from 1999-2000 is the 210 series. Many people here have owned them, and the general agreement is that they are fantastic cars, but do have serious problems with rust. Very little goes wrong mechanically, they look the part, have loads of room, and are really comfortable.

Rust is a real problem though, and even if fixed, it tends to come back. More of a issue if you intend to keep the car long-term.

I had a 2001 320cdi saloon, and looked into getting an estate, although I went for the later 211 series instead. When I had the 210, I did mainly motorway driving, and got around 46mpg from it. I only get around 38 mpg from my 211 under similar driving conditions. I have not driven a 220 cdi, but having had the same engine in a c-class, I always felt it might be a bit underpowered in the larger car.

One of my neighbours works for general motors, and when I was looking for an estate recently, he pointed out how much better value for money a Saab estate would be. In fact, that's what he has now, having had a Merc in the past. However, he did qualify that by saying "but it's not the same as a Mercedes".

7. PXW

PXW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 350 bluetec AMG night edition prem+
    Sorry, but I have to balance out the pro-SAAB comments. I ran a 9-5 for several years having bought it at about 18 months old. It was by a country mile the most unreliable car I have ever owned - frequently and expensively breaking down. I evenutally virtually gave it away to a dealer after I bought my merc, and celebrated all the way to the bank with the loose change I got for it. One of the breakdown drivers I got onto first name terms with was particualrly scathing about the reliability of SAABs - reckoned they were very regular customers of his!

Not knockng kusanku or A210AMG (I'm sure the brother/neighbour had good ones) but thought I'd chip in my own experience as a caveat.

8. gbjeppm

gbjeppm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    Yep I can tell a few Saab horror stories too, two friends of mine have had them, both had engines blow at 70k ish, very expensive to repair.

They both got peanuts when they got rid of them.

Anyway my 2p, I am sure there are some good ones as well.

I still think a W210 that has been looked after, with minimal rust, would be a great buy. Also if it is all motorway, you will get 30mpg+ with the V6 320, and they will be cheap as chips to buy, and tend to have more toys.

9. Seamster15

Seamster15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
    3k... easy - go for a late s202. Nice cars to drive and good on fuel too.
    Mine seems to be anyway.

Other than a Merc, I have just been given a 51 plate Peugeot 406 HDI estate and really cannot fault its 55mpg comfort and space. Build quality is a bit suspect but what can one expect for free!

You should be able to pick up a low mileage 53 plate for 3k.

10. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    My current daily driver (inherited from an exiting staff member) is 57 plate 12 month old Saab 9-3 1.9TDi (150) Vector Sportwagon....currently showing 29,300 miles - it's not missed a beat so far.

I lease this at £319.00 a month + vat on a 3+35 month deal with 25K pa mileage. Directly with Saab contract hire.

There are plenty of 12 month deals around if you're willing to take something already built you'll comfortably get your £300 a month budget, get a new vehicle and not be tied for any longer then the contract.

On a daily 76 mile commute, I'd want something new, warrantied and reliable, effectively paid for by the contractor.

11. Seamster15

Seamster15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
    Wise words.

Our outgoing car is a Seat Toledo 2.0 Tdi DSG. We got a cracking two year deal at 174+vat for 12k pa.

Not a great car, quite noisy but new and reliable. Lease costs have risen though as they want 230+vat to extend for a further year or 8.5k to buy.

I will take my chances now with the W202, CE and 406.

12. OP
    OP
    flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171

Any offfers on the S202 fuel consumption am I right thinking thres a 280 & 320 ? will stay away from the V8 if any one could advise

13. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    I'm with Mudster on this one. If you are doing 25k miles per year on business you want to be sure you will arrive. Get as new as you can and under guarantee.

If the job market is as tight as you imply and you have only a one year contract, then try to get a 1 year lease to match the job contract. Changing cars is expensive.

14. pint6x

pint6x Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 525d SE Touring 3.0 manual
    I had a Saab 9-5 - lovely car, but there was a constant stream of things going wrong with it which was both irritating and expensive.

If you're considering a W210 and can find one without rust, that'll be a great car - plenty about for about £3,000.

Another suggestion would be a Volvo V70 - the first shape they did which was essentially a re-badged 850 and ran from about 1997 to 2000

You might get a high mileage V70 of the shape made between 2000 and 2007 as well.

Good luck !

15. kusanku

kusanku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180cdi Avant Garde
    Forgot to mention that my neighbour has his Saab on a lease scheme, and it's pretty new, so maybe has not had the chance to go wrong yet. The last car he owned himself was a CLK55 AMG, so the Saab does not compare to that in any way, shape or form:D

16. Mudster

Car:
    We have two Saabs and apart from a flimsy feel to some of the trim they are good value for money. We were quoted more for a lease on Vauxhalls...

I'd say they fall somewhere between ford/vauxhall and Audi/BMW/Mercedes....

Kind of like an alternative to a VW passat.

They are bland but comfortable (actually the seats are probably the best bit)...it's just cheap motoring from a company perspective although generally uninspiring.

17. NewMB

NewMB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 535D F11 Sport (Touring)
    As previous posts, why not a Volvo V70 2001-2006. Great cars, usually fully loaded (and I mean fully!).

Best seats in the business and obviously very reliable as the Police ues them (I had one too) and taxi's in Sweden.

Get an SE (has all the toys incl Leather, Dolby Stereo, electric seats etc) from a main dealer with FVSH and warranty.

The made these engines (2001-2006):

2.4 140 bhp
    2.4 170 bhp
    2.4T 193 bhp Light Pressure Turbo
    2.5T 210 bhp Light Pressure Turbo (still exists in new V70, S80 and badged T5 on surrent S40/V50/C70.
    T5 first had 240 bhp, then 260 bhp and a rocket.
    2.4D 163 bhp (was previous generation D5)
    D5 185 bhp (also a rocket with loads of torque)
    R with AWD and 300 bhp....avoid the auto as it is simply a T5 with limited Torque due to gearbox. Manual is much fun, and FAST!

I had a 2003 2.5T 210 bhp with all the bells and wistles and upto this day was the best Volvo I have ever had. Perhaps also the best car..... just kidding!

Good Luck.

18. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    If you buy a 210 (or similar) for £3Kish, who's going to pay for the repairs/maintenance?

I would think that with 25k miles PA you'll be spending quite a bit more on servicing/maintenance if you want to keep it in good shape.

Sure, you could buy a high mileage one and run it into the ground until it's a dog, but you don't really want to be sitting behind the wheel of a poorly maintained/tatty car every day do you?

The sensible head does say try and go for newer and maybe take a slight drop in badge status - offset by newness and peace of mind (there's not a lot to need doing on most new cars in 25k miles).

I too would be tempted to buy a cheap £3k MB to use, but in all honesty, it's much less stressfull to be driving something that's under warranty. Peace of mind and all that.

For work I use a new Passat estate, DSG. Has been utterly reliable, comfortable and hassle free - just what you want for a work vehicle :)

Will

19. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Without having any bias at all I would get a 300TD. They are by far the most reliable Mercedes and just run and run and run.
    If you fancy going down a class a W202 250TD or a Honda Accord are pretty good bets.

20. Mudster

Car:
    I have to say I think you'd be buying a money pit for a £3000 vehicle in which you intend to do 2000 miles a month, day in day out.

Get a boring new economic car for 12 months on contract hire at a fixed price then consider what to do once it comes to employment renewal time.

It's a no brainer......

2500 miles a year, sure, buy a £3000 car...