advice needed on issues with mercedes dealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenRichardson

Car
Mercedes c250 sport plus
Hi all, can I please have some advice or feedback on my dealings with the dealership I bought my car from:

Bought my 6 month old c250 sport plus from a MB direct dealer some distance from where I live in late May.
All good customer service until after I had collected the car.
I noticed a couple of minor issues when I got the car home and had a good look, they were.
Poor smart repair to rear bumper
Nearly bald rear tyre
Front tyres appeared to be scrubbing on outside edge
Squeaky dash
Slight wheel vibration at 70mph

After me contacting the dealer a couple of times ( by phone and of course in writing) they agreed to have a look.
They arranged for the car to be collected and gave me a half decent ( if filthy) courtesy car.

They had the car two days and then contacted me to say my car was finished and they would return it.
Car got dropped off next day.
They had changed the rear tyre and balanced the front wheels ( lots if weight on the fronts now, probably over 100g on each wheel)
But the dash still creaked and the back bumper was even worse.
I took it to a nearer MB dealer and a decent guy had a look, he said the paint was unacceptable and the wheel alignment needed doing.
They quoted for the work and forwarded to my supplying dealer.
I contacted the dealer and said I wasn't impressed and wanted this sorted. Again verbally and in writing.
After chasing several times they got the manager of a smart repair company to call me, he seemed OK and we arranged for my back bumper to be looked at by his nearest place.
The after sales manager stated that the tyres scrubbing was a characteristic of the tyre( in writing)
Work got carried out a week later, and initially the work looked fine.
The guy did mention to me my front tyres looked like they were scrubbing.
After two weeks I got the alignment checked, miles out of toe on all four wheels. Two new front tyres needed.
Next day I cleaned the car and noticed hundreds of grey flecks in the area repaired on the back bumper.
Obviously I was far from happy, I sent a long email complaining about the poor service to the after sales manager of the supplying dealer cc'd his superiors in.

Got a very terse reply today stating 'as a good will gesture' they will collect my car and have another attempt at the back bumper and reimburse me the cost of the wheel alignment but they won't pay for the front tyres.

As stated any advice appreciated, personally I feel the service has been shocking and not what I expected from a Mercedes dealer; the After sales manager hasn't even bothered to call me to discuss my issues.

Cheers

Ben

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

I would head down to your nearest citizens advice bureau! I am pretty sure if it is not fit for purpose and you have given them reasonable amount of times to rectify the faults then you are within your rights to reject the vehicle.

Gloucestershire Trading Standards - Consumer Advice - Used motor vehicles - consumer rights

If the dealership do rectify your faults then I'm sure you should be compensated for your time. I was given 2 free services after complaining to the regional manager!

The simple why:Take the offer of reimbursement for the alignment and book the car into another dealer for the squeaky dash. But with the dash, you may get told they all do that sir!

A little more time consuming: Chase them for the tyre costs before accepting reimbursement for the wheel alignment.

I would head down to your nearest citizens advice bureau! I am pretty sure if it is not fit for purpose and you have given them reasonable amount of times to rectify the faults then you are within your rights to reject the vehicle.

^^^ GLWT!!

Why didn't you inspect the car when you bought it?

Surely that was the time, BEFORE you paid for it, to point out any flaws & get them fixed.

I did inspect the car before I bought it.

I was told the rear tyre would be changed if it was less than 3mm
Scrubbing wasn't evident on the front tyres ( probably hidden by the tyre dressing)
Squeeking dashboard was pointed out.

The smart repair may have been fresh and degraded between test drive and collection or maybe it even got scuffed and quickly repaired before I collected the car.

I bought from an MB dealer for peace of mind, I haven't got it.

I must admit I'm very picky, I want my car right.
Why else buy a nice Mercedes?

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

Gloucestershire Trading Standards - Consumer Advice - Used motor vehicles - consumer rights

If the dealership do rectify your faults then I'm sure you should be compensated for your time. I was given 2 free services after complaining to the regional manager!

Technically , and legally , that is quite correct - in theory .

In practice , it is very difficult to see that process through to its conclusion .

Another route is to check if you have legal cover on your home contents policy. Some include it free others charge extra.

Some policies will exclude anything to do with cars, but most exclude anything EXCEPT excep purchasing of a car.

If you do have cover pass it over to them. A legal letter from a solicitor should kick the dealer into gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom