Advice needed on potential purchase of 1999 W220 S-Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chodecz, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chodecz

chodecz Member

Hi guys,

I'm going to view a W220 S280 tomorrow and need to know some hangling ammunition.

It's one of the first year W220 S-Class' on a V 1999 Registration.

It's done 75,000miles, upgraded alloy wheels, LPG conversion, full MB service history (last service was 4 months ago).

He's asking £5,500 for it.
    I did a Parker's valuation but it only goes back to a V 2000 Reg, which is close enough, and values a S280 at £4,140 with 80k miles on the clock.

What parts will need to be replaced soon, etc.? Any known problems with this model/engine?

What should I look out for in particular? He says 'The front drivers wing has a small amount of rust just above the wheel which i would recommend getting repaired if you were to buy the car'.

Any advice will be much appreciated! :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. Seamster15

Seamster15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
    On a 2000 year car it's "rust rust rust" tbh. Make sure you have a good look at the doors, specifically under the rubber trims. Any stone chips can quickly become rusty also.

Check all electrics, and the suspension if it has the air suspension fitted - not sure if it was standard or not.

I an sure others will advise further.

3. stats007

stats007 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    575M
    Speak to Peter (C43AMG) as he ran one for 6 years. My concern would be the fact it's a 280 - far too small an engine (even more so on LPG) to power an S class.

4. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    I agree with Stats007, the 280 would be the least desirable engine of choice, so the price really needs to reflect that.
    I imagine with running costs being rather high, I would not want to buy the cheapest example I could find but a well maintained one for a bit more money.

5. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    i agree - too expensive, and classed as the "poverty" model.
    buy at least a 320, or if you can justify the cost of lpg have it done after purchase.
    be aware the boot is not massive on a w220, and if its a small tank becauuse of this you'll be forever filling it up.

6. OP
    OP
    chodecz

chodecz Member

For me the focal point of this particular car is the LPG conversion. And my budget of roughly 5k.

This car has low miles and will be v.cheap to run due to the LPG conversion.

Parker's says this car will do 0-60 in about 9secs and top speed of 144mph.

I drive a BMW 330ci M-Sport coupe atm., so I'll see how the performance goes on a test drive. But I'm not expecting anything great. But it will be cheap to run.

If I was looking for reasonable performance I'd have a S500 minimum really, but this is not the case due to my budget.

7. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    iirc, you get roughly 15-20% poorer mpg (and i think performance) due to the calorific value of lpg being lower than petrol (or is it higher?!?!?)
    buy a 320 - a big big difference, and by adding lpg it'll still perform as well as a standard 280 ...

can i suggest you drive a none-lpg car before driving this one. if it were me i would drive a 320, then a 280, then the lpg. if its a private sale you may be okay for time as not much is selling at the moment which could get you a couple of days, then again the lpg could make it more marketeable.

what colour is it? and as has been said, check for rust rust rust. i bought an s430lwb from a family member its been theors from new.well cared for and under 50k miles, a 2000 car. rusty wheelarches :( but we bought it anyway. its been my experience that the colour can influence the rust problem, not sure why.

8. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    dont buy a 280... they are seriously unpopular... the 320 is the one to go for..

9. MBManInKen

MBManInKen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    As a long term s-class owner, I have said it many times before: these are highly complex cars and I would never buy one without a full, independent inspection. Make sure everything is functioning perfectly, all the electrics, no funny noises, no leaking air suspension etc. Don't be bamboozled by the vendor saying that this or that not working is cheap or easy to fix.

There are a few cars out there with rust issues but contrary to what others say on this thread, it's not an inevitable issue for all W220s and there are many of them around from that era that have bodywork in excellent condition.

Airmatic is standard.

Personally, I would not buy any of the 6-cylinder engined W220s, but then again once you're used to the V8s, that's perhaps understandable. The S280 is no performance beast, but it's not a slug either. It's quite driveable. There will be a lot more S320s on the market though and I would have thought that to be a far more preferable choice, also as they will come with a bit more equipment as standard.

The boot is not massive, certainly not compared to a W140, but it's not exactly a Smart boot either. It's quite sufficient for most things.

An s-class obviously has no foldable seats to increae loading space, it's a luxury limousine, not a van after all.

The petrol tank is 88 liters on all the cars. I get easily 550 motorway miles out of a tank, no need to continuously fill up. Obviously, as you say, if you put in a gas tank (something I really don't think makes financial sense - it will take years and lots of miles to get a return on the investment), some of that boot space will disappear.

Someone looking for a family car is probably better off with an e-class.

As I have again said many times, an s-class is not cheap to run. People make this mistake all of the time. Yes, you can pick them up cheaply, but be prepared to cough up the money to keep it in prime condition, otherwise it will become a money pit.

10. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Too me a 5K S class sound like bills...sorry

I would worry if that suspension drops and computer says no you then have a 2K bill to sort. They are full of electronic gizmos.

Is there any reason you want the S class, after your BM even a E class would be big?

Just a thought?

Anyway let us know what you think of it

11. Shaun's C280

Shaun's C280 Active Member

Car:
    1996, W202, C280 Elegance Auto
    [​IMG]

4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 55,000 miles, Metallic grey. 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Audio remote control, Central locking, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Climate control, Air conditioning, Cruise control, Electric door mirrors, Electric sunroof, CD Multichanger, Radio/CD Multichanger, Electrically adjustable drivers seat, Tinted glass, Metallic Paint, Wood/wood effect trim, Multi function steering wheel, Electrically adjustable passenger seat, Front armrest, Front electric windows, Headlight washers, Heated door mirrors, Electric mirrors, Electrically adjustable seats, Full Service History, Leather upholstery, Leather seats, Self levelling suspension, Heated front seat, PAS, Passenger airbag, Rear electric windows, Rear headrests, Remote central locking, Side airbags, Traction control. stunning car in this colour with silver/grey leather,electric colum,airbags allround,automatic with tiptronic,ABS,ASR,FULL service history,MOT december 2009,TAXED to may 2009,all previous mots etc,and only 55,000 miles,lovely car throughout,drives like a dream.DEBIT/CREDIT cards accepted,might take part exchange, £5,495

12. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    I will just add my advice here, I have a 1999 S Class 320 which I bought from a MB dealer, very fortunate. Low mileage cars have a tendancy to rattle their catalitic converters, had to have two replaced, the V6 front main pully has a tendancy to break down, if it does, hole in sump and a bill of around £1800, heated seats, the seat swabs heater tends to pack up, but that could be common on all heated seats. I also had the Comand replaced and new front callipers. I have, as far as I have seen, no rust in the car, which now has the huge mileage of 61000:D :D It is a lovely car to drive, and the boot space is acceptable, the gas tank will peobably be where the spare wheel once sat, so it is possible there is no spare wheel.