Advice needed on website and Domain name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Last year I set up a website for my business using a comapny named EMS, the all in cost for web design and a years hosting was £100 +vat. It's a basic 4 page who we are and what we do sort of site and I transferred a Domain name I'd held for a few years to EMS for them to get the site up and running which happenned at the back end of May 2011.

I've now received a demand for £178 for the renewal of the domain name (it runs out at the beginning of March) and a further years hosting.

Does this represent good value as I previously used to renew the domain name via another company at a cost of about £10 for 2 years (it's a .co.uk address). Can I renew the domain name myself and how much would it cost and have I inadvertly transferred the rights to the domain name to EMS when I removed it from the holding company.

Perhaps not a rip-off as such... it is just that prices do vary considerably. I would shop around and as redbaron said move to a cheaper provider.

(a) Check with the current provider if there is a transfer fee for leaving them - some charge for this around £10-£20, with others it's free.

(b) Check that you can move the website (assuming yo do want to keep using the same website) - it may be their intellectual property, depending on the small print.

I suppose the next step is to get another website drawn up and transfer the name to that then find another hosted. Any ideas welcomed

Try these people:
Zenesis Limited ::
I have no interest in them but do know the owner (he is a client of mine).
They appear to know their stuff.

There are many good ones out there. For low-cost domain name and website hosting you could try:

http://www.godaddy.com/UK

Last edited:
There are many good ones out there. For low-cost domain name and website hosting you could try:

Go Daddy Mobile - Domain Search, Go Daddy Commercials

I bought and registered a dotcom with GoDaddy before I realised they were a key supporter of the US Government's attempts to take control over the internet. Immediately had problems configuring email for the European servers although to be fair the support in the US came back pretty quickly with the solution. However, I am now bombarded with junk mail from GoDaddy selling different types of service. I am waiting for the 60 day non-transfer period to end and I shall find a UK-based solution.

I know that this is perhaps a bit late, but I use Noble Wolf Web Services (Powered by CubeCart) Just had an invoice for another year @ £39-20p, and Costas there was more than helpful to get my Domain name back off of Easyspace who ripped me right off. If nothing else the price is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom