advice needed on wheel choice W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Been told my current alloys are too badly corroded to be refurbed for a third time so need to buy new. Car is below and currently sports monobloc VI however I think going to polished face and black gloss may freshen the look and have been offered a really good deal on a staggered set of the wheel below

Thoughts ???????

mXErNjq_7n_XfqnLQ-b9WSg.jpg

694cebc5-8206-49d6-ab96-03d0e333dccc_zpsos3h86mb.jpg

I think it'd be a tragedy to get rid of those Brabus bad boys.

Other wheel just doesn't have that 'wow' factor

Sorry

I think it'd be a tragedy to get rid of those Brabus bad boys.

Other wheel just doesn't have that 'wow' factor

Sorry

I know exactly what you mean but Brabus got to go as not safe and cant get replacements at sensible money so as much as I hate to I will have to change.

Do you enjoy cleaning wheels?

Hate it but protect them with sealant and its a two minute job with the pressure washer

It might be worth searching the site, I'm sure that the question has been asked before regarding a CLK.

Been told my current alloys are too badly corroded to be refurbed for a third time so need to buy new. Car is below and currently sports monobloc VI

View attachment 58552

Are you sure the current wheels are not copies, I don't think Brabus alloys suffer from terminal corrosion unless they've never been looked after?

Whatever, try and get a set of light wheels if possible. Some of those 17/18'' wheels weigh a ton.

Last edited:
Can't you get them just blasted and then powder coated ?

They do some very nice powder coat finishes now , 'bright chrome' which is actually a very nice polished type finish would look great on those ( it doesn't look like bright chrome despite the name )

That way no metal is being removed by diamond cutting or on the lathe.

We had the lips of our 18 inch splitties on the ML430 done in bright chrome 4 years ago as The refurbers wouldn't guarantee a diamond cut lip that was lacquered for longer than 6 months. They are still perfect today.

I'm sure BJV would do these for you if you are ever down this way. Our ML splitties were in a shocking state when we bought them. White powder corrosion , the whole 9 yards.

Gotta be worth a try as its a Brabus factory car rather than putting boggo wheels on it

Are you sure the current wheels are not copies, I don't think Brabus alloys suffer from terminal corrosion unless they've never been looked after?

Whatever, try and get a set of light wheels if possible. Some of those 17/18'' wheels weigh a ton.

Yes the current wheels are replicas but lightweight ones hence the terminal corrosion

Can't you get them just blasted and then powder coated ?

They do some very nice powder coat finishes now , 'bright chrome' which is actually a very nice polished type finish would look great on those ( it doesn't look like bright chrome despite the name )

That way no metal is being removed by diamond cutting or on the lathe.

We had the lips of our 18 inch splitties on the ML430 done in bright chrome 4 years ago as The refurbers wouldn't guarantee a diamond cut lip that was lacquered for longer than 6 months. They are still perfect today.

I'm sure BJV would do these for you if you are ever down this way. Our ML splitties were in a shocking state when we bought them. White powder corrosion , the whole 9 yards.

Gotta be worth a try as its a Brabus factory car rather than putting boggo wheels on it

I would have liked another set of monoblocs as I upgraded to mono VI replicas when I got the car to freshen it up as it came with monobloc II. I've been offered a good deal on some AMG wheels but cant find any Brabus replicas at sensible money been in touch with Brabus and best deal I can get is just short of £2k. Which is more than the car is worth so does not make economic sense

Corrosion is 6mm deep in places do they are definitely scrap

Last edited:
Been told my current alloys are too badly corroded to be refurbed for a third time so need to buy new car.

Fixed that for you Ian.

I would have liked another set of monoblocs as I upgraded to mono VI replicas when I got the car to freshen it up as it came with monobloc II. I've been offered a good deal on some AMG wheels but cant find any Brabus replicas at sensible money been in touch with Brabus and best deal I can get is just short of £2k. Which is more than the car is worth so does not make economic sense

Corrosion is 6mm deep in places do they are definitely scrap

Just need some time and tlc. Some fettling and welding and fettling again then powder coating.

Just need some time and tlc. Some fettling and welding and fettling again then powder coating.

You are actually right there with a bit of alloy welding as filler they could be sorted but its the time and cost versus new and again you right would have to be a powder coated finish.

Basic cheap and cheerful steel rims with a set of 'spinner' trims. Job done.

New wheels purchased this morning will post a photo later :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom