Advice needed please...Regarding Lightweight Air Rifle for Rat control...Thanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I relative of mine used to get rid of vermin on his farm using a Ruger Blackhawk .45

I think he said he also cut down a large tree using the same gun.

:D

There has been some very poor advice on this thread, regarding legal power of air guns, the humane control of pests and the filling of PCP air guns.

People should really think twice, before offering advice on things that they don't know the full facts about.

A lot of modern air guns store compressed air in their bottles / cylinders at 300Bar ( 4351 psi ), they can be filled from special hand pumps or dive cylinders etc.
to suggest that you can safely put that amount of pressure into an old fire extinguisher is very foolish at best and at worst potentially lethal.

It's 18 years since I bought my gun. I wanted one with a magazine rather than single shot. Went to Greenfields in Canterbury (before they moved to Sturry) and was given good, knowledgeable and expert advice, including the best way of recharging. The choice was either a stirrup pump ... slow and laborious, or they recommended a diving cylinder ... being close to the coast, it was easy to source one and get it recharged and retested.

I thoroughly recommend the cylinder for effectiveness, as my gun will only do 70+ shots before the power noticeably tails off - about half of what the blurb states. You need an attachment which gun shops sell, somewhere to store the bulky cylinder and the cost of retesting (iirc every 5 years?) and I have only had to have it recharged twice over the 18 years.

Yesterday afternoon, the Mrs shouted from the kitchen that the biggest rat she had ever seen was in the bushes outside the back door.

I got my air rifle, started poking about in the bushes, a medium sized hedgehog almost had a rather unwelcome surprise.

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom