Advice Needed Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sapper1743

I own a '99 Clk 230 Kompressor.

It has a paint bubble the size of your palm around one of the washer jets which in my opinion comes from below the paintwork.

I have gone thro' the Mobilolife route and today Mercedes offered to go 50-50 with me.

My half is about £193 all in with a courtesy car for the 3 or 4 days it will be in the bodyshop.

Should I take them up on the offer ?

Sensible answers please - or if you take the p*ss make it funny.

I hope this finds you all well.

REgards

Bob

You haven't given very much information for anyone to make a fair judgement.

Your car is approximately NINE years old and you have found signs of rust. Has this vehicle ever been involved in a accident and had repair damage?

Are you 100% sure of the cars history?

If it has had accident damage was it carried out by an authorised Mercedes-Benz agent?

Does the car have a full, unbroken Mercedes-Benz Main dealer service history?

We are really talking about a goodwill gesture and this might surprise some folks

Cars rust.

I recently posted a link regarding a Lexus suffering from rust and NO talk of any goodwill gesture.

If you have owned the car from new, have had it regularly serviced by the main dealer and it has not had any unauthorised accident damage, then I have definitely heard about better offers.

regards
John

It has a paint bubble the size of your palm around one of the washer jets which in my opinion comes from below the paintwork.

I have gone thro' the Mobilolife route and today Mercedes offered to go 50-50 with me.

My half is about £193 all in with a courtesy car for the 3 or 4 days it will be in the bodyshop.

REgards

Bob

Well in bodywork & paint terms you don't get a lot for £193. (even £396 if you double it) If it were me I'd definitely go for it as long as it's been done by their approved bodyshop. Seems more than a fair deal on a 1999 car

I would take it to a local bodyshop and get a quote, I had all 4 arches and all 4 doors on the S class sprayed while I was on holiday 2 weeks ago, total price £350, anybody is welcome to inspect it if they think for that money its a crap job, thats just how much it costs, car hire is about £70 a week, I did mine while I was away at it seemed logical,

Thank you for the replies so far...

Motor has FMB service record.....no signs of damage.....repairs will be carried out at the Mercedes bodyshop in Blackpool. I am the second owner from new and its got 48k on the clock.

I also have had problems with the 'flooded foootwell' syndrome but I dont think they are related !

All the best

Bob

I would take it to a local bodyshop and get a quote, I had all 4 arches and all 4 doors on the S class sprayed while I was on holiday 2 weeks ago, total price £350, anybody is welcome to inspect it if they think for that money its a crap job, thats just how much it costs, car hire is about £70 a week, I did mine while I was away at it seemed logical,

Where did you get it done for that price? :eek:

Where did you get it done for that price? :eek:

http://www.pendletonbodyrepairs.co.uk/page/pendletonbodyrepairs

just found he has a website!!!!
and does free courtesy cars, not much use if you live in blackpool granted

before I started to use him I asked lots of people I know in the industry and they all recommended him, he even dropped me to the train station when I dropped my car off, thoroughly nice bloke,

and its for these reasons I cant be bothered with merc doing my body repairs,

Last edited:
I paid to have my bonnet painted by Mercedes while they paid to have the front wings, rear arches and tail gate resprayed

cost me £550 for the bonnet* so yes i think £193 with a courtesy car is ok

Only problem is that was back in Jan and now rust has started to appear on the bonnet so they are going to have to re-do it :(

*I only got them to do it as i was concerned with the paint match and felt that respraying the bonnet would help blend in the new wings

I think any paintwork should look nice immediately after it is done, it is what it will look like in twelve months time, or two years that is the nitty gritty. When my van was resprayed I was given a written five year no quibble warranty. That to me sets the standard and speaks volumes regarding the quality of work.

Regards
John

I think any paintwork should look nice immediately after it is done,

im not up on paintwork so I wouldnt know, he has done some of my previous cars (mercs) I could always check on them,

im not up on paintwork so I wouldnt know, he has done some of my previous cars (mercs) I could always check on them,
I have just re-read my post and it reads as though I might be suggesting you have not received a first class service :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That was not my intent and many apologies.

Hopefully all bodyshops give a written gaurantee underwriting their workmanship.

Regards
John

That sounds an awful lot of money for a palm sized amount of rust, (not that I am an expert!) I can understand you wanting to go the MB way. I personally, would go to a local body shop, or even better, someone you know who can do it for double figures. :)

Mine is currently being done at a local shop - estimate was £350 + VAT (I'm guessing) for touch ups to stone chips under the headlights, both door edges where chipped and blistered and two random blisters on the rear wing and boot cill by the rear light. Its also getting a machine polish to buff out a few scratches.

I pick it up tomorrow. At ~£400 I'm not expecting it to look better than a £2.5k respray but it will look better (I hope) than rust blisters - if it lasts 2 years before the next visit I'll be happy. Horses for courses :)

Ade

That sounds an awful lot of money for a palm sized amount of rust, (not that I am an expert!) I can understand you wanting to go the MB way. I personally, would go to a local body shop, or even better, someone you know who can do it for double figures. :)

Would have thought that the whole bonnet will need to be painted to get a match ...

I love having things done cheaply , but even i would question someone who said they could paint my bonnet for under a ton .... :crazy:

REgards

Bob

Tell them you don't need the courtesy car & that should cover the other half of the cost.

Alan

Mine is currently being done at a local shop - estimate was £350 + VAT (I'm guessing) for touch ups to stone chips under the headlights, both door edges where chipped and blistered and two random blisters on the rear wing and boot cill by the rear light. Its also getting a machine polish to buff out a few scratches.

I pick it up tomorrow. At ~£400 I'm not expecting it to look better than a £2.5k respray but it will look better (I hope) than rust blisters - if it lasts 2 years before the next visit I'll be happy. Horses for courses :)

Ade

Bit of a thread hijack...

Picked up the car this afternoon, better and worse than expected..

£350 including VAT. The repairs to the rusty bits are excellent and invisible which is impressive given one of the blisters was in the middle of a panel. The finish to the front stone chips are not great but I can live with it, and they've missed a tiny bit paint by the number plate (which I forgot to point out to be fair).

One thing letting it down are the black plastic bumper inserts which have been doing their job well and bear a few battle scars - for the £175 it will cost me to replace them, they can stay for now as the car is driven daily.

Overall pleased, the car is now as near mint as an unresprayed 18 year old car can be and I have a bit of spare paint for future touch ups :)

Ade

Thank you for the replies so far...

Motor has FMB service record.....no signs of damage.....repairs will be carried out at the Mercedes bodyshop in Blackpool. I am the second owner from new and its got 48k on the clock.

I also have had problems with the 'flooded foootwell' syndrome but I dont think they are related !

All the best

Bob

i think they should pay for the repair, the car has a 30yr corrosion warranty, low mileage and full history. unless they believe the rust is not from inside out, it usually costs around £350 to paint a bonnet, the courtesey car is free so the price is right.

i think they should pay for the repair, the car has a 30yr corrosion warranty, low mileage and full history. unless they believe the rust is not from inside out, it usually costs around £350 to paint a bonnet, the courtesey car is free so the price is right.
Hi Sweeper,
This warranty is quite craftily worded and I note how you have picked up on it.

Most rust or corrosion is from either an edge on a panel, or from the surface of the metal, but underneath the paintwork In both these examples the rust is not generating from the inside.

When we look at the majority of posts they appear to be one or the other and this results in what we are calling a goodwill gesture and this is not a fixed amount. I would personally recommend the softly, softly approach and treat the dealer with respect whilst explaining all the relevant issues.

If any paint blister is hiding a hole where the rust has eaten through from the inside, then I agree it should be covered by Mobilo.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom