Advice Needed.....R-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris200

Car
c200
Folks
I saw it and I can't decide if I love it or hate it. I look at it from one angle and I think it's quite quirky and appealing then I tell myself I must be bonkers. I know they are completely different cars but it kinda reminds me of the Renault Vel Satis from years ago.
It is a 2006 R320 CDi with 55k on the clock. Full dealer history, full leather, auto, in very nice condition inside and out. They're asking £10500 for it.
Am I crazy or would it be a good purchase?

They are decent enough cars if you need a 'large estate'. My in-laws had a LWB R350 (petrol) which had no problems in the time they had it. Their was only a 6-seater, but later ones had 7 seats.

There are a few previous threads on these ... try a few searches.

I like them,

Guess its pretty much a ML with a different body?

I like them, would like one with a full pano roof. Big cars although was surprised inside doesn't feel as big as the outside looks?

My old FD had one a few years back and I drove it a couple of times. 6 seater 320CDI. Big car, obviously aimed at the US market. V6 diesel not exactly quick but pulls well enough. Handled OK for such a big bus and comfortable.. I think you could could cross Europe 4 up with luggage and get out feeling fresh at the other end.

At £10K that's a lot of metal for the money, and at 55K just run in. I just hope you've got a big garage.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

they look mean from the front but a bit sad from the back.

im a fan of them and for 55k on the clock at that price - its a good deal

Thanks guys, I walked away from it today before I got sucked into a deal but I think I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can get something done. The more I look at them the more I think I like them. I've read a few reviews online and they all seem to beat the same positive drum. My initial concern was the the fact that you really don't see too many of them about, and if they were any good then there would be more of them on the road but I guess the size isn't for everyone. I like big cars. I am likely to be alone in it for 90% of journeys but for me there is a certain comfort in it's size.

Depends what you need from a vehicle. They excel at very little but they are good at lots of things.

We've had one in the family for over 3 years now and it's been bullet proof.

They were never really marketed properly in the uk. You see loads more in mainland europe. The upside of this is that you get a lot of car for relatively little money secondhand. I like them. You can probably get a lump off the price if you try hard. Good luck.

I like the look of them.

i was in the same position as you - sort of liked it but wasn't quite sure.

i passed cos i thought that niggling thing would always sort of stay with me and would annoy me.

in hindsihgt i am happy i didn't go for one as i still have that feeling when i see them.

i think they are are bit like ginger spice from the spice girls, you sort of want it but you know there is something holding you back!!!

I really enjoyed the time we had one - they are very refined, spacious in LWB format and with the pan-roof, very bright and airy. For a big bus they handle well and are surprisingly quick as well as respectably economical. Only downside for us was the lack of luggage space 5-up in the 6-seat configuration; the GL takes our 3 in the middle row so we have all the luggage space we could ever wish for now.

If it's looks don't gel,you don't like it,the french can do the quirky bit,the germans just
simply get it wrong.On a down day you will look at it and say yuk,For that money I would
be looking at E estates/ML's more wow,just my opinion though.

Go for it - in my experience, people who have one, generally love them and those that haven't driven or owned one, say they are awful.

As I say, I am generalising, but for near S Class comfort, but with more space, I still love mine after 5 years.

As for the person who said they are slow, 8.x secs 0-60 feels pretty rapid in an R Class!

Bought mine a week ago. Absolutely love it. Had a good run it to Cheshire, 4 adults 2 babies. 1 pushchair. The drive was faultless. Road noise zero. I have the 320 cdi 2006. My pal loved the ride it offered. I had never seen one one the road. Since I have had it, I have seen 1. And that's another reason why I love it.
Q7's, Range a Rovers etc a lot on the road. Love the admiring looks I get. And it shifts too!!!!! I have only had nothing but good comments about it. 38.000 on the clock. Service history. Absolutely love it!!!!!!

Did you purchase in the end?

I didn't go for it in the end. I slept on the idea and when I woke in the morning I was back to square one with the 'love it, hate it' thing in the back of my mind. I didn't decide that I hated it.........I just couldn't make up my mind if I loved it.
And now a week later I'm thinking of other cars entirely so that kinda confirms to me that I did the right thing.
Thanks for the varied comments though. All very useful and every one of them totally right in their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom