advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stoneage

Car
500 sl 91/ alfa 2lts twin
Hi I'm new to the forum, looking to buy a sl mercedes, any recomendations,:confused: engine 300 24v 5l 32v any help appricated. Thanks Stoneage.

Have a look at the yank sites benzworld and mbworld :)

Listed by model type as opposed to boot badge but a quick google will come up with the correct numbers ie mines an E430 which is also known as a W210.

Lynall

They will be the R129 version car.
Other than getting a bit long in the tooth they are good cars which don't rust. They won't be a real sports car, more like a cruiser.

If you can find a 300-24v they are the ones to have....only built for a couple of years. Very charasmatic engine....makes a lovely straight 6 howl once you have it shifting past 4000rpm. Its also the most powerful of the straight six engines.

Just check that the head gasket is not leaking and make sure that the hood is working correctly.....as a car the R129 series is pretty much bomb proof in terms of build quality.

Great cars and I can highly recommend them!

sl advise

Thanks Ive spent wk. end looking @ some sl ,havent found my {DREAM CAR} yet. I am base in midlands. but will travel for a mint one

obviously depending on your circumstances i would go for the 500 v8 model. these engines are bomb proof with regular servicing and oil changes they will go on and on. there are lots out there so take your time and find the right one.what coulr are you after out of interest.
ps im not selling one so dont worry.LOL

Yup I would also say the 5 litre V8, lots of power and torque and not much difference in MPG (no I'm not selling mine :D). If you use the search there are quite a lot of threads on here about buying R129 SLs. Main thing to check is that everything works properly ... they were expensive cars when new, and although pretty reliable if anything is wrong it can be expensive to fix. As mentioned, particularly the soft top.

THANKS to all m/b menbers .Ive now had my sl for a few mth;and enjoying this car very much.ITS has a clarion radio/cd player;which i intend to replace with a after market one.HAS anyone change sterio/cd in an sl ?need to remove cd/ which run from boot to head unit; also intend to up grade speakers. so need to know how to remove door cards?

My Sl

:bannana:
What did you buy in the end?
GOT A 500SL 91 OLD BUT IN GOOD NICK, EVERY THING WOKS ,EXCEPT HEATED SEATS AND RADIO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom