Advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedevilus

Hi All,
After a long break from Mercedes I am coming back again as I used to have a CLK230 and I loved it but then upgraded to Porsche 911, BMW X5 and then Nissan 350Z which I just sold and now got the itch to buy another CLK.

However, I am hoping you guys and girls can help me:

My choice is between 270, 320 and 500 which I like the best but not sure of the price of petrol, car tax and running costs outweighs the pleasure of owning a 500 instead of 320 or maybe 270?

I do an average of 10000 miles per year and I am looking to buy a 2002-2004 model so any advice is appreciated on this.

Also I have noticed that cars with mileage between 80k to 90k are selling for nearly 2 to 3k less but I know these cars can go well over 200k mileage so does that really matter or is the mileage just a number as long as the car has full service history and good condition?

I thank you all in advance for your help on this.

Regards

Andy

You looking for a 208 shape or 209 ?

My choice is between 270, 320 and 500 which I like the best but not sure of the price of petrol, car tax and running costs outweighs the pleasure of owning a 500 instead of 320 or maybe 270?

Have you ever driven a Merc V8 ?
I suggest you try one and then all other concerns you ever had about petrol prices, environment etc. will go straight out of the window.
Something really speacial about the big engine Mercs that will put many :D :D :D on your face.

10k per year isn't a lot of miles and the price of petrol is coming down.
Plus you'll get a nice level of toys in the 5 litre.

Nothing wrong with the 270 or 320 but the 500 is top of the league by some way I reckon.

Hi Guys,
I used to have the w208 230 which I absolutely loved so I want to go for the 209 this time.

I am so tempted by the 500 and keep thinking sod it I should really go for the 500 then I think lets be sensible and go for middlle ground and buy the 320 damn which way should I go? :confused:

Thank you both

Andy

get the 270cdi/280cdi - best version by far and well worth it

get the 270cdi/280cdi - best version by far and well worth it

Sorry:D , I agree that the 270 and 280 cdi engine is good, but if you don't do many miles, and lets face it the 10k of the OP is not mega mileage, then the petrols can make a lot of sense, as they are a lot cheaper to buy up front.

Both the V6 and the V8 plants are superb, and the V8 is something very special.

Also on the 209 diesel, most that I looked at are a bit poverty spec, as it seems they were destined for the company car driver.:)

At the end of the day only the OP can decide what is important to him:bannana:

Thanks Guys,
What is the MPG on the 500? My Nissan350Z used to do 18mpg which at times was just too much to bear specially when petrol went up to £1.33 at one point so I thought NO I am going to go for the sensible option next time then I find myself here again looking at 500 and 55! I agree that V8 engines are the best options "Bigger the better I always say:D "but are the running costs much more then the lets say 320 or the 270? I am just not a Diesel car person really but they seem to be the prefered option with most people or am I totally wrong on this?

I don't want to go with my heart on this and buy what I REALLY like then think oh **** why did I do that and didn't just buy a sensible car instead! :(

I am guessing you can sense the confusion ha? At least I am talking to people who fully understand my dilemma.

Could it be that 6 months after buying say the 320 you might be wishing you'd bought the 500. I would go for the one that pulls all the strings.

Go for what you will really enjoy longer time or for as long as you own the car.
The W209 320 is dearer to maintain than the 270. I bought my 270 mainly for a balance between economy and performance. It matters to me that I can get 45 to 50 mpg in real world driving. It has more than enough torque (400Nm) and thats enough to get you out of trouble and to overtake cleanly with the 5 speed Auto. I wanted the 320 cdi engine in the Coupe but it wasn't availale in the CLK when I bought mine.
I've no regrets though.
As to poverty spec there are enough well specced CLK 270s out there as long as you avoid retailers like Car Giant.
I've never had a 320 or 500 petrol engine so can't give you any feedback.
Drive them back to back and then decide. Must say the 270 is a good compromise.

Given the choice id go for a CLK270 CDI.

Its so frugal you don't even have to bat an eyelid about using it and its still got a fair bit of pull and above all , looks the exact same as the other two for less cash.

spec wise ... the following would be on my shopping list.

Needed:
Parktronic
Xenons
Telephone prewire
Heated seats

optional:
Comand
Harman Kardon

Andy

I have taken the silly option and have a 500, You only live once.. The car is lovely one of the best cars I've owned and highly specced. I average 23mpg and on a motorway run 30mpg... if you toe it it'll return middle teens. It sounds awesome and as many have said, the Benz V8's are lovely...
If i had a sensible head i'd get a diesel but with the price of diesel and petrol now there is not much in it...
As much as I love the 208 shape I wanted the pillarless look and really like the 209 shape and style...

Good luck

Thanks Guys,
What is the MPG on the 500? My Nissan350Z used to do 18mpg which at times was just too much to bear specially when petrol went up to £1.33 at one point so I thought NO I am going to go for the sensible option next time then I find myself here again looking at 500 and 55! I agree that V8 engines are the best options "Bigger the better I always say:D "but are the running costs much more then the lets say 320 or the 270? I am just not a Diesel car person really but they seem to be the prefered option with most people or am I totally wrong on this?

I don't want to go with my heart on this and buy what I REALLY like then think oh **** why did I do that and didn't just buy a sensible car instead! :(

I am guessing you can sense the confusion ha? At least I am talking to people who fully understand my dilemma.

If you aren't doing mega miles , get a V8 .

I return about the same as BaldGuy in mine ( 4.3 V8 ) and the smile factor is there 100% of the time .

If you don't , you'll regret it ....

Imagine sitting in your rocking chair in a few decades time , with your travel rug over your knees thinking ' I wish i'd bought that V8 CLK ' ;)

At least drive one first so you can see what we mean ! There'll be no looking back .

I can also recommend the V8. I test drove a 320 and a 200 Kompressor (W208) and immediately after driving the 430 I knew which one I would opt for. The noise is fantastic (will be even better when I get my new backbox ;)) and the mpg as mentioned above is fine for the average motorist.

In all honesty, with another few grand in my pocket I would have gone for the E55, although I am in no way dissapointed with the 430.

Lets face it the sensible option would be something like a toyota corrolla diesel so you are nowhere near a sensible option anyway so just get the V8. Make sure you drive one first though and compare with the V6.

Thanks Guys,
It really does add a very valuable pesrspective for me. I think driving them first sounds very sensible. I feel that out of these choices 270cdi is the real sensible option but that V8 keeps pulling me towards the 500.

I am on holiday in Canada but will return next week and should get my test driving shoes on! lol

I wish you all a Great Christmas and once again thank you for taking the time and giving me your real life experiences.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom