Advice on a BMW X5 please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Having a glance around - just to see whats available - as you do - and a rather well speced X5 caught my eye.
2006 3.0 diesel with all the bells and whistles.

I know nothing about these cars - never owned a diesel before either - except that I would expect to get about the same fuel consumption as I currently do on my petrol 2004 W203 C200K. Its also in the same tax band as its 214 gm/co2 - so under the 225gm top limit.

Pitfalls and plus points please. and any extra advice welcomed.
Thanks in advance chaps.

Having a glance around - just to see whats available - as you do - and a rather well speced X5 caught my eye.

I know nothing about these cars - never owned a diesel before either - except that I would expect to get about the same fuel consumption as I currently do on my petrol 2004 W203 C200K. Its also in the same tax band as its 214 gm/co2 - so under the 225gm top limit.

Pitfalls and plus points please. and any extra advice welcomed.
Thanks in advance chaps.

I hear they have really poor economy for a diesel. Great cars though, i was going to buy one until i heard about the poor mpg.

Then again the E320 is not too great either!

I hear they have really poor economy for a diesel. Great cars though, i was going to buy one until i heard about the poor mpg.

Then again the E320 is not too great either!

It was pretty reasonable when i had my X5 3.0d . 35MPG on a run , early 20's in the town.

i loved my x5 , is it the new or old model? The reason i ask is the one i had was 226 g/kg . The figures you quote sound like the new model.

Whatever you do , dont buy a manual and don't buy one without the media package unless its a really good deal.

These are now v cheap and getting cheaper - I saw a 2005 for £19,000 which for a £50 grand motor is a big hit!

They have dropped because the new ones from Jan 2007 ( I think) have much lower Co2 emissions and better fuel economy.

I test drove one with the twin turbo and it was v quick but the dealer wanted £54K for it (fully loaded) which I thought was a bit too rich.

Have you thought about the Lexus RX400H hybrid?

Please..................

Just thinking of a BMW is almost a step to far.

A lexus is simply out of the question. Totally. Completely. Absolutely.

Its a Toyota in drag.

It was pretty reasonable when i had my X5 3.0d . 35MPG on a run , early 20's in the town.

i loved my x5 , is it the new or old model? The reason i ask is the one i had was 226 g/kg . The figures you quote sound like the new model.

Whatever you do , dont buy a manual and don't buy one without the media package unless its a really good deal.

Its the newer model with the TV/Satnav and CD multiplayer, heated seats etc...etc....etc.....
And its an auto.
Could not go back to a pudding stirrer.

I've driven quite a few at work and my boss has had 3 over the years, nice cars, nice to drive etc a 2006 model is the better choice than the earlier model, more reliable engine around 30mpg only the 5 seats though and not huge on the inside. My boss then drove a Q7 and that's was much better to drive with a better quality interior and 7 seat capacity with 27-28mpg out of that so he got rid of the X5 and got the Q7!!

So perhaps have a look about for an early Q7 3.0 V6 and take that for a spin.... nothing to lose at the end of the day. Depends what you want to use it for i guess.

I looked at them when I was changing but choose the ML.

I had a 330ci convertible before hand and to be it seem to similar inside and wanted something different. Also BM's DO have an image and not always good. I know this is silly but it was a factor.

The 3.0d should do 30mpg easy on a run which for a big 4*4 is very good. I was told that the 3.oi petrol is the one not to go for as the 4.4 V8 is almost the same on fuel (and its a v8 :)

Lots around so get a good price with the best spec.

The only thing I have heared on the BMW forum when I had mine was the 320d and 330d's both seemed to have quite a few issues with blown turbos. No I've no idea if this is the same engine or not? I think the 3.0d engine varried from 184bhp, 204bhp and 234bhp over a few years.

blown turbos are more common on the first generation 3.0 D's running 184 or 193bhp. Once they moved to the newer system running 204/218/231/235 then they are much more reliable (now on 245bhp on the 330d!!!)

So perhaps have a look about for an early Q7 3.0 V6 and take that for a spin.... nothing to lose at the end of the day. Depends what you want to use it for i guess.

£22995 sticker price at Trade Sales in Slough. Dealers have some around £25k too.

SNIP

Its also in the same tax band as its 214 gm/co2 - so under the 225gm top limit.

SNIP

AFAIK the newer diesels with the 214gm/co2 emission where not until oct 2007

prior to that they were much higher - I would check here by checking "Vehicle Enquiry" entering the reg number and it will give you the co2

...bad news I think cometh your way :(

...now a lexus on the other hand...

Easy answer don't buy one, they are electrics prone, cheap plastic interior poor economy we had 3 on our fleet all failed with electrics, the head went on one at 17,000 miles, steer well clear if you are not into the ML (Which I'm not) the Toyota Landcrusier is a far better machine BMW = Big Money Waster

I've driven quite a few at work and my boss has had 3 over the years, nice cars, nice to drive etc a 2006 model is the better choice than the earlier model, more reliable engine around 30mpg only the 5 seats though and not huge on the inside. My boss then drove a Q7 and that's was much better to drive with a better quality interior and 7 seat capacity with 27-28mpg out of that so he got rid of the X5 and got the Q7!!

The Q7 3.0 diesel is a barge and a slow cumbersome one at that. There isnt much between the new ML and the X5 to drive. So its just down to personal preference.

The Q7 3.0 diesel is a barge and a slow cumbersome one at that. There isnt much between the new ML and the X5 to drive. So its just down to personal preference.

Agree about the 3.0 Q7 but X5 & ML both BOS, Landcruiser, Range Rover, Shogun, different league all together

Dave

Is it this one? Wild guess I know!!!

http://www.carlians.co.uk/vehicle-d...RSpage=1&ID=723577&popup=&Modela=&Ref=&NotRef=

I remember you were happy with your Merc purchase from Carlians, and it is only down the road from me.

Do you want me to stop when I drive past it later and have a look?

Thats the one.

I phoned them today to see what kind of deal was on the table.

However, I have since learned its in the top tax band, so will give it a miss.
Thanks for the kind offer however. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
AFAIK the newer diesels with the 214gm/co2 emission where not until oct 2007

prior to that they were much higher - I would check here by checking "Vehicle Enquiry" entering the reg number and it will give you the co2

...bad news I think cometh your way :(

...now a lexus on the other hand...

Well thats ruled that out...........its in the top tax band.

Thanks to all who helped out............

Some of these cars are really good value I have just bought a 730d se 2006 on a 56 plate (2 years old) for £21,000, main dealer. That is cheaper than either the equivalent C320 cdi, the E, the S, or the BMW 530D and it is a lot of car for the money - it's also only done 21,000 miles.

Forgot its CO2 is 216 - so currently £210 a year to tax

David

Last edited:
Thats the one.

I phoned them today to see what kind of deal was on the table.

However, I have since learned its in the top tax band, so will give it a miss.
Thanks for the kind offer however. Much appreciated.

thats like the one i had :) amazing car. but as you say costs are prohibitive on it.

Hello

Don't quite understand looking at a £24K car ad being put off by paying a bit more tax?

If you like it? an extra £200 or so isn't really here or there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom