Advice on being caught speeding at 116 MPH

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A colleague (and forum member!) was stopped for 102mph yesterday by traffic officers in an X5 and he was given a £60 fine + severe ticking off. That's it!

i wonder if Police sometimes tell drivers they caught them travelling at a certain speed, but don't always have enough evidence to prove it, so maybe that person is encouraged to admit they were speeding at a slightly lower speed to escape disqualification, but still get punished.

I don't understand why a Police officer would use discretion and therefore be inconsistent if they felt they had enough evidence to successfully prosecute.

Is it reasonable to expect to see some evidence of the offence when you get stopped?

HD

Totting up rules which appear on your license as TT99 are different to rules for an immediate disqualification due speeding. After serving your ban for TT99 you get you license back with no points on but the offence codes still remain on for a period of 3 years from conviction, however you have to declare the ban to the insurers

Is it reasonable to expect to see some evidence of the offence when you get stopped?

HD

Absolutely ask to see the VASCAR or whatever device they have used to calculate your speed, In the past I have asked to see the calibration certificates and the notes in the traffic car log book that the unit was tested at the beginning of the shift, this also must be recorded in the officers pocket books.

Why would you put your hands up to the speed they said? (unless of course it was lower than what you were going :D )

Sorry to hear about more nasty things with your family Boss....seems like you've had a time of it recently.

I was caught doing 109mph on the M74 many years ago and it was my first offence, the weather was clear,traffic very very light, car was in good order and as soon as i was alerted to the police following me ,i signalled and pulled over in a safe manner.
I was devastateded and thought i was up for a ban...got a lawyer (based beside Lanak court) and went to court when summoned to face my penalty.
I was given 8 points and £400.00 fine + about the same in lawyers fees, The Police officer did note the weather/no other traffic/driving in safe manner (although speeding) and awerness to pull over as soon as signalled to.....i think a lot my actions helped my case, i do feel nowadays that anything over 110mph generally results in a ban (just my opinion) but i sincerely wish you the best for your family and hope the courts go easy on you.

hi boss, based only on my experience of magistrates courts (frequent visitor in recent years) i would most definately use a local solicitor to the court as they really take offence to a hot shot from out of town.
if neccessary go to the same court a week before and sit in the gallery and listen then pick a solicitor you are happy with and approach them outside.
as has been said magistrates have set guidelines to work within for sentencing, a start point then they can go more lenient or strict depending on history , plea, circumstances both personal and surrounding the offence,and if they are not sure can be guided by the clerk of court which is where the local brief can be the advantage.
Let the brief explain the mitigating circumstances etc plead guilty and on the day if asked if you wish to say anything apologise and express your regret ,

good luck,

andy

WOW on 2 counts. Traffic Police using common sense and 102 mph in an X5 must have been the fastest jelly they had ever stopped. :D

And you all thought I liked BM's :D
What you said has just sunk in! The TOs were in an X5, my colleague was in a 208 CLK230k :)

Contrary to what i had heard earlier through family, it wasnt a gun shot, but a Panga attack.. which has only come through to us in the UK yesterday...

Funeral took place today... sad and v. tough for all those there in person and also those whom were here..

Sorry to hear about the awful sitution that you are caught up in at this time,

In court you will be in the hands of the magistrates who from personal experience know nothing. They always favour the police as you were caught by a policecar there will be camera evidence of some sort. A good lawer might be able to help, this is above the average solicitor's ability. Good luck.

I think 20mph over is a mandatory court case but unfortunatly over 100 mph has different as does the motorway network over other roads.

A colleague (and forum member!) was stopped for 102mph yesterday by traffic officers in an X5 and he was given a £60 fine + severe ticking off. That's it!

Have you left off the 3 points?

Personally I'd not go and see Nick freeman or any other expensive lawyer. Instead, I'd go to court and represent myself and explain the mitigating circumstances personally.

With the money saved you'll have more than enough to fund taxi's for the 6-8 weeks of your ban. After which time you'll have a nice point free license. The one SP50 wont load your insurance premium much either.

I did the same self-representation after being clocked at 108.

6 Points and £650 - that was 12 years ago, though.

I think you MUST appear and plead. A lawyer won't be able to convey your circumstances as well as you. If memory serves, you may put the circ's in writing to the court in advance.

Good Luck,

Paul

On the advice of the cop who stopped me , I pled guilty by letter and expressed 'regret' for my behaviour - did not try to offer any excuses .

I received a £62 fine and 3 points for 111.2 on the A1(M) near Northallerton in the early hours of a Sunday morning with good conditions and no other traffic .

That was over 30 years ago , though .

( I did at the time think it 'unfair' that the cop car was hiding behind a stone wall and only came out of hiding after I passed him :eek: ) .

Last edited:

Have you left off the 3 points?
Negative: It was the police that left off the 3 points.

Negative: It was the police that left off the 3 points.

You can,t get a £60 fine and no points, its either £60 and 3 or 6 points for a fixed penalty or £30 and no points, depending on the offence there is no other interpretation in English law :dk:

You can,t get a £60 fine and no points, its either £60 and 3 or 6 points for a fixed penalty or £30 and no points, depending on the offence there is no other interpretation in English law :dk:
Just confirmed with my colleague that it was a £60 fine with no points.

He wasn't driven to an ATM and forced to pay cash was he :D
No but he's also just told me that the police dropped the speeding thing entirely on paper and actually busted him for slightly dodgy license plates :rolleyes: so you can safely ignore my previous posts about this!

Officially he wasn't done for speeding at all. :doh:

No but he's also just told me that the police dropped the speeding thing entirely on paper and actually busted him for slightly dodgy license plates :rolleyes: so you can safely ignore my previous posts about this!

Officially he wasn't done for speeding at all. :doh:

Ah that explains it and I forgot the fine for dodgy plates went up recently to £60 from £30. As did the one for not wearing a seatbelt, so my earlier post would be incorrect too

Its £60 and 3 or 6 points for an endorsable fixed penalty

£30 or £60 for a non endorsable fixed penalty

Both depending on type of offence committed. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom