Advice on Brake Pads & Discs Required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Advice please. My car's MOT advisory warning says that the rear brake pads are wearing thin. Does it makes sense to change pads for all 4 tyres? Also, change the disk as well?
If the mot man says rear pads only , then that's his findings . If your not capable of assessing the other components yourself , then ask a competent garage.

Hi guys,
I am looking to change my brake pads and discs on my CLA 2014 2.2 amg I would like some advice.
I will be taking it to my local independent garage who does all the work however I am not sure what pads and discs to go for I am considering going for Brembo pads & discs from eurocar parts. Just wondering what people would recommend and have used in the past as not sure if I need to get the parts from dealers or if the bramble pads and discs will be suffice.

Thanks in advance for responses.
I changed my Mitsubishi over to Brembo, so much better than OE

They also sell Febi parts which are generally good (OE?) quality
Generally? Hmmm. Febi parts CAN be of excellent quality but it's a lottery?

I avoid Febi for anything critical or that I cannot replace myself in 10 minutes.

RayH

Generally? Hmmm. Febi parts CAN be of excellent quality but it's a lottery?

I avoid Febi for anything critical or that I cannot replace myself in 10 minutes.

RayH
Touch with a barge pole springs to mind.

Advice please. My car's MOT advisory warning says that the rear brake pads are wearing thin. Does it makes sense to change pads for all 4 tyres? Also, change the disk as well?

The first thing to say about rear brakes is that the wear rate can be very low compared to front brakes. For example I still have the original rear discs at 74,000 miles and have only just replaced the original pads.

So depending on your miles to date and anticipated annual miles you are unlikely to need the rear discs replacing and the pads may last another year depending on the thickness of material remaining. The legal limit is 1.5mm but an MOT inspection would raise an advisory long before that. Most people would replace them when they drop below 3mm. You would have to measure them or have someone else measure them and the same goes for the front disks and pads.

Personally I wouldn't change all 4 pads at the same time as new pads on an old disk impair the braking efficiency until they are bedded in so I prefer to do them one axle at a time.

Touch with a barge pole springs to mind.
I agree. But AutoDoc shipped Febi flex discs against my order for Lemfoerder. I was going to send them back but noted they are manufactured by SGF, a reputable company and a supplier to MB as well, I think.

R

Just to revive an old thread, I’ve just bought an ageing CLK and it felt like the front discs were a bit warped so I’ve just replaced them - I ordered Brembo discs from autodoc for £120 and ended up getting TRW ones delivered, but they look great and TRW are an OEM supplier to plenty of manufacturer so I’m not unhappy with that, picked up some Brembo pads from GSF for £55.
I‘ve not done many miles yet, but so far they feel great - front pads and discs for 175 - seems reasonable to me.

Just to revive an old thread, I’ve just bought an ageing CLK and it felt like the front discs were a bit warped so I’ve just replaced them - I ordered Brembo discs from autodoc for £120 and ended up getting TRW ones delivered, but they look great and TRW are an OEM supplier to plenty of manufacturer so I’m not unhappy with that, picked up some Brembo pads from GSF for £55.
I‘ve not done many miles yet, but so far they feel great - front pads and discs for 175 - seems reasonable to me.
What year CLK buddy ?

It’s an 06 350 with 43k on it. There’s a couple of minor bits to sort out but I’m loving it so far.

Haven’t bought any parts online for ages, but recently needed a set of front discs and had a look around at pricing last week.

Checked usual sources - MB dealers on eBay (heavily discounted), Euros/CP4L, GSF etc.

MB - £372.36
Euros/CP4L - £299.97/£298
GSF - not listed
Autodoc - £226.08

Ordered from Autodoc Thursday early afternoon.

Email acknowledging order same day, next day order confirmation, with invoice and shipping details, today courier (Evri) confirmed order with them for delivery, landed on my doorstep late morning. Less than 4 days from order to delivery and that included the weekend.

Parts arrived well packaged and exactly as ordered.

Can’t argue with that. I know they get a bit of a bashing from some but I’ve genuinely never had a single issue with Autodoc and the service has been exceptional in my experience.

I was half expecting some form of delay or hassle with the usual supply chain issues but it’s been very smooth :thumb:

As an aside, another car was in for a service at MB in September, when collecting was told that there were some brake parts required but they were not in stock and that they would contact me once in to arrange fitting. Got a phone call the week before last and that the parts were in stock now - 2 months later. Goes in a few days before Xmas. May not be just discs, I haven’t checked, but even so…:)

Haven’t bought any parts online for ages, but recently needed a set of front discs and had a look around at pricing last week.

Checked usual sources - MB dealers on eBay (heavily discounted), Euros/CP4L, GSF etc.

MB - £372.36
Euros/CP4L - £299.97/£298
GSF - not listed
Autodoc - £226.08

Ordered from Autodoc Thursday early afternoon...
(Brembo discs, pads and wear sensors for both axles - all prices include VAT and delivery. 2011 S350L W221 with AMG Sports Pack)

I checked out prices from Autodoc and dealers with discounts:

Autodoc November 28% discount (currently) = £362.21
Autodoc Cyber Monday 41% discount = £302.68
MB ebay dealer price (Newcastle) = £503.86
MB Grangemouth with forum discount = £426.55

I've ordered from Autodoc with Cyber Monday Discount and paid £306.63 which included £3.95 "Safe Order" which gives me an option of returning within 200 days - they pay return delivery.

They have different discounts all the time so if you need some parts and are willing to wait, just put them in your basket on Autodoc and check daily until you're happy with the price.

Last edited:
Exactly that, I checked some while back and they were only a little below average price wise but ordered @ ‘41% discount’ (might have been a £2.59 promo or something too IIRC). I did see an email from Friday with 43% off. If you’re not in a rush just add what you need to the basket and check now and then :thumb:

I’ve heard some bad reports about autodoc but Ive always found them fine. TRW discs and Brembo pads combination is cracking Now I’ve done a few hundred miles.

"...I’ve heard some bad reports about autodoc but Ive always found them fine. TRW discs and Brembo pads combination is cracking Now I’ve done a few hundred miles..."

WHAT ??

We need more detail on this please Jools.

By 'Cracking' do you mean jolly good/spiffing/right on man/bostin'/Ace/top notch/AOK...etc

Or do the discs have cracks in them ?

My bet is he means cracking as in jolly good🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom