Advice on buying my first mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keirenb

Car
Mercedes c class
Hi all I’m thinking of buying a c class Mercedes around 2008 / 2012 plate cardboard are coming up with my budget but engine sizes and power outputs are a little confusing to work out online I’m after a diesel my question is what model and engine size has the most tuning potential I will probably have a few other mods done exhaust cooling mods etc tia!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome . The list is long , but on the particular car you are looking at (W204) the rear sub frame must be inspected properly (not just a quick look) even on very nice looking cars they rot internally and fail . New ones are surprisingly cheap (ish) but paying to have them fitted is not.

It appears to be a bit of a lottery as many high mile cars show no signs of failure but others sometimes with lower mileage do . There are stories of MB replacing them for free regardless of service history ..just as their are stories of them failing dramatically.

I assume you are up to speed with all of the potential pitfall's that buying an older Diesel car can bring , I do not know if the model you seek has Dpf/EGR/AdBlue etc as I personally steer clear of such things but many members on here have C class diesels and will help you out soon enough.

Tuning ? Start with a car fitted with the 3.0 V6 OM642 Diesel (Sprinter van) engine and you probably won't need any tuning.

All the best 👍

I second that. Get one with 6 cylinders. The V6 diesel with an automatic box is one of the best engine/transmission combinations ever.

Hello and welcome . The list is long , but on the particular car you are looking at (W204) the rear sub frame must be inspected properly (not just a quick look) even on very nice looking cars they rot internally and fail . New ones are surprisingly cheap (ish) but paying to have them fitted is not.

It appears to be a bit of a lottery as many high mile cars show no signs of failure but others sometimes with lower mileage do . There are stories of MB replacing them for free regardless of service history ..just as their are stories of them failing dramatically.

I assume you are up to speed with all of the potential pitfall's that buying an older Diesel car can bring , I do not know if the model you seek has Dpf/EGR/AdBlue etc as I personally steer clear of such things but many members on here have C class diesels and will help you out soon enough.

Tuning ? Start with a car fitted with the 3.0 V6 OM642 Diesel (Sprinter van) engine and you probably won't need any tuning.

All the best 👍
I have been looking at the v6 to be honest I’m very short knowledge on anything Mercedes my dad has a c class and is helping me look for the right car but obviously I don’t want to rush in and buy something to later find out there is something else out there with greater tuning potential... my original plans were 335d but doing the research I feel the Mercedes will be a more reliable car for the money I have to spend on one all comments are greatly appreciated and thanks again for any help

All the best 👍
Dpf and egr wouldn’t be a problem as I would eventually have them mapped out

I second that. Get one with 6 cylinders. The V6 diesel with an automatic box is one of the best engine/transmission combinations ever.
Hiiii drnick ☺️thanks for reply appreciate taking time to reply I am leaning towards this ideal heavily

The pre-faclift W204 had the OM646 engine (2.1L 4-cyl) fitted to the C200 CDI and C220 CDI, and the OM642 (3.0L V6) to the C320 CDI.

The OM651 (1.8L and 2.1L 4-cyl) replaced the OM646 on the facelift model as of 2011, though it may have actually come-in a year earlier - not sure.

The pre-faclift W204 had the OM646 engine (2.1L 4-cyl) fitted to the C200 CDI and C220 CDI, and the OM642 (3.0L V6) to the C320 CDI.

The OM651 (1.8L and 2.1L 4-cyl) replaced the OM646 on the facelift model as of 2011, though it may have actually come-in a year earlier - not sure.
Brilliant thank you I also briefly seen online last night that one model may be twin turbo charged is this correct or am I imagining things

Sorry I think I may have read that about the e class my apologies it’s still early... an e class isn’t out of the question for me though

If you want refinement, smoothness and less Diesel engine sound then E350d v6 is the only way to go, but obviously I’m bias 😀

If you want refinement, smoothness and less Diesel engine sound then E350d v6 is the only way to go, but obviously I’m bias 😀
Tim stuck between the two to be honest I prefer the looks of the e class but haven’t driven one yet although I did have a go in a coupe about 5years ago by that time the best car is owned was a 54plate 3series so no comparison really

Test drive both, so you get the feel of both cars. The E will be more roomier then the C obviously.

I’m after a diesel my question is what model and engine size has the most tuning potential I will probably have a few other mods done exhaust cooling mods etc tia!

Your best bet is to start with the highest level of tune. So prefer the C250 over the C220 over the C200, and equally prefer the C350 over the C320.

However, the C250 CDI and C350 CDI came-in with the 2011 facelift, so will be more expensive. But then, the facelift car has a much nicer dash than the pre-facelift, and better infotainment unit (alongside other improvements).

Ultimately it's all down to your budget. The range of prices will be quite wide, given that at the lower end you'll have the 2007 C200 CDI, and at the top-end a 2011-2012 C350 CDI.

Your best bet is to start with the highest level of tune. So prefer the C250 over the C220 over the C200, and equally prefer the C350 over the C320.

However, the C250 CDI and C350 CDI came-in with the 2011 facelift, so will be more expensive. But then, the facelift car has a much nicer dash than the pre-facelift, and better infotainment unit (alongside other improvements).

Ultimately it's all down to your budget. The range of prices will be quite wide, given that at the lower end you'll have the 2007 C200 CDI, and at the top-end a 2011-2012 C350 CDI.
Very informational thank you I think il have about 8/9k to play with I’m hoping for 10/11/12 plate ish and it’s pulling up a search mixed with high and low mileage but I’m in no rush to buy So waiting for that car I see and think that’s the 1 for me

Dpf and egr wouldn’t be a problem as I would eventually have them mapped out
...Which would render the car illegal for use on UK roads even if it passes the MOT emissions test.. lot's of internet content on this , but ultimately it's up to you to do your own research on this before you go ahead with it.

...Which would render the car illegal for use on UK roads even if it passes the MOT emissions test.. lot's of internet content on this , but ultimately it's up to you to do your own research on this before you go ahead with it.
Exactly what I’m doing

Hi , I very nearly purchased E350dV6 and although it was a Euro 6 car it was register before 1/9/2015 and therefore fell at the first hurdle regarding eminisions in cities.

Watch out if your if you have many short trips and a petrol engine car would be better.

Hi all. Sorry just joined on here. How do I post my own question?
If you click on the Forums option at the top of the page, it should bring up the main forum headings, above that will be a black icon with a 'pen' shape and headed 'post thread'.

That will take you into the section to start a new thread, although I don't know whether you need a minimum number of posts before you can do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom