Advice on buying used car that was previously imported

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Combo

Car
CLA45
Hi all, still on the hunt for my first MB (CLA45). I have missed out on some, then struggled to find any that had the right options but now have found a couple.

One was manufactured Jan 2016, imported to the UK and registered Jan 2017 from Australia. the first owner when it reached the UK had it for 4 years, the next owner had it for 2 months and the current owner has had it for 8 months.

My first worry was perhaps it had been written off in Aus, sent over here then repaired but the 4 years of ownership helped put my mind at rest (low annual mileage though). Next was having two owners with short ownership. MOTs have been clear apart from tyres, all but the last service was done at a dealership.

Has anyone got any experience with a car imported from outside the EU? Seemed odd to me that a German car would be sent to Aus then exported to here as that must have cost a bit but maybe someone brought it over when they relocated. Any ideas what I can check before I arrange to take for a test drive?

I've been warned it reduces the value, I have also struggled with insurance sites as none pick up the car from its UK reg plate so I have to manually select the car and even then on the import options it only gives me Jap, US, UK spec EU, non-UK spec EU.

Cheers

The duration of the last 2 owners ownership would be a red flag for me.

The duration of the last 2 owners ownership would be a red flag for me.
Yes me too, it's sold by a car dealer and it was their own car so I can ask why they are selling so soon but no telling how transparent they will be. They have mainly good reviews online but they don't usually sell performance cars.

Some years ago we had a VW Polo that started life in Cyprus (before it joined the EU). It was not exactly to uk spec although RHD. Having come from Cyprus it had AC - almost unheard of in the UK for a 6N Polo. The first owner imported when he moved to the UK. No problems getting parts for it. Insurance could be an issue although most companies were happy to cover it but the websites dont make it easy. A broker might be more useful than the Meerkats and similar sites.

The speedo would be in kms (unless it's a virtual one on a screen, in which case it would presumably be switchable). However, I don't think this is illegal (or at least it wasn't when I had an Integrale a few years back).

If it was originally built to Australian specification, it will have had kph instruments, and probably additional cooling and underbody protection.

I would question the seller who is, as you mention also the last owner and follow your gut. 2 terms of short ownership is strange indeed or could just be the way it is.

Another thing, they took out finance last Feb on a 5 year deal and I imagine there is an early repayment fee, I am getting in touch with the finance firm now to check this. It might be that they have made some money on the car though, just sold my girlfriends Fiesta for more than we paid for it and that's after 4 years of ownership!

I will speak to them, also hadn't thought about the instrument cluster, you are right it is in Km which is a pain, does anyone know if the screen can display speed in mph? On my Audi A3 I can set the middle screen to show current speed, miles to empty, consumption etc.

Thanks,

Looks like I can get a used cluster for about £200, then I need to find someone who can recode it for me, looks like STAR can do it. I've done some recoding on my Audi but have no idea what is needed for Mercs.

Hi , Potential issues when purchasing a grey import !

I n the first instance make sure the car has got a the Individual MOT test. This will make sure that the car complies with UK construction and use requirements.

Australian fuel is different that UK fuel so make sure the car will run satisfactorily on UK fuel.

Spares could be an issue.

Insurance may be an issue .

I purchased a Mitsubishi Pajero that was a great car / still have the car / but not exposed to to vast sums of money.

Would I purchase a grey import , yes but do your home work first , expect to change all batteries as a matter of course.

Hi , Potential issues when purchasing a grey import !

I n the first instance make sure the car has got a the Individual MOT test. This will make sure that the car complies with UK construction and use requirements.

Australian fuel is different that UK fuel so make sure the car will run satisfactorily on UK fuel.

Spares could be an issue.

Insurance may be an issue .

I purchased a Mitsubishi Pajero that was a great car / still have the car / but not exposed to to vast sums of money.

Would I purchase a grey import , yes but do your home work first , expect to change all batteries as a matter of course.
Cheers, it's been over here for 4 years now and only MOT failures are for tyres. Good shout on the fuel, I imagine it's ok but will check. I'd have thought the parts would be similar but no idea how to check. I am looking at another that isn't quite as good spec but it is a UK model and cheaper, that might be the safer way to go.

Looks like I can get a used cluster for about £200, then I need to find someone who can recode it for me, looks like STAR can do it. I've done some recoding on my Audi but have no idea what is needed for Mercs.
Its more than just coding. The used cluster will need to be virginised before it can be coded to the car. This will cost £300 to get done properly. Then coding........

The big mistake many make is to buy a car from Japan. They are cheaper but wired, in many cases totally differently to the rest of the world. Its a false economy as many cost thousands to convert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom