Advice on buying W208 CLK320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasha

Car
ML63 - 2009
Hi, I'm new to this forum and very impressed by it!

I need some advice if possible, I am looking to buy a W208 CLK 320. I have driven a few and all I can say is that they are awesome.

Is £18,000 a fair price for a clean 1999 29,000 mile leather CLK320 Sport with full MB history and a few of the cheaper options?

Also will the std speaker fittings accomodate decent speakers or do I need to get a custom install (assume I like good quality sound but do not need a sub woofer in the boot-type setup).

More importantly, I am up to speed with the A/B service model, mpg etc, but was wondering where there any other costs of ownership to watch out for? e.g. tyres, cat conv etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thx

Sasha

hmm, no replies from any w208 owners yet!
Originally posted by sasha
Hi, I'm new to this forum and very impressed by it!
Welcome to the forum!
Is £18,000 a fair price for a clean 1999 29,000 mile leather CLK320 Sport with full MB history and a few of the cheaper options?
I checked with parkers and that seems like a good price. Where are you buying from? Stealership/other trader/private? Things like colour, overall condition, options and any known faults or problems will obviously affect the price (and how good you are at bargaining). What with the w209 out, the second hand value of the w208 should fall a little.
Also will the std speaker fittings accomodate decent speakers or do I need to get a custom install (assume I like good quality sound but do not need a sub woofer in the boot-type setup).
Have you listened to the standard speakers yet, you might be happy with them. If it has Bose then you probably won't want to change any of the speakers, if it has the standard speakers then they can probably be replaced directly with offerings from several different manufacturers.
More importantly, I am up to speed with the A/B service model, mpg etc, but was wondering where there any other costs of ownership to watch out for? e.g. tyres, cat conv etc?
A stealership service will cost twice as much as a normal car service, tyres (assuming 16" wheels) are the same size as the ones on most vectras and mondeos these days so nothing too expensive there and the rest of the car is very unlikely to go wrong, if it does then parts cost twice as much as any other car as does labour. I suppose a bonus is that a CLK320 will depreciate at half the speed of any other "lesser" car, which naturally only counts if you sell it :)
IMHO the CLK320 is "the one to get" if you're after a CLK, nice smooth engine with just enough power, 200k is probably underpowered, 230k isn't "refined" enough for most people, 430 is too thirsty and 55 is just more so, although seriously fast.
Let us know how you get on, post pics if you buy (before you buy if you want :) )

P.S. CLK owners speak up!! :)

Shude,

Thanks for the response!

I'm buying the car from a "prestige dealership" so I figure realistic prices and OK service - I don't have an awful lot of faith in any dealerships full stop, but not bold enough to go private.

Otherwise the car is unmarked, I spent an hour going over the bodywork. The car is on sale for £18,500, I figure £500 can come off just for asking and I may be able to get a 3 yr 3rd party warranty thrown in too - I'm kinda happy with the price.

I have listened to the std speakers and they start misbehaving at mid-volume and they aren't Bose. But there is a full set of Infinity speakers in shops for around £260 (fitted) that are apparently the bee's knees.

The wheels are AMG 17" and I am allowing £140/tyre, fronts replaced every 10,000 miles and rear every 20,000 miles.

I'll post pics as soon as I purchase the car, I am waiting on a top up from my mortgage and it is taking a while to come through - I am in 2 minds to secure the car and hope the application doesn't get rejected! Else I'll have to go the 30% APR secured loan route...

Thx

Sashaaaa

P.S. CLK owners speak up!!
Yes, sir, Mr Shude, had errands to run sir :D .

Sasha, as you know, I have a 1999 CLK320 Sport (pre-facelift - as this one is a Sport, one can presume that it is pre-facelift also). Great car. I've had mine from new, was on the MB waiting list for two years. Got a buddy to buy it though his hire car company and lease it to me (tax benefits). I bought it outright last September for £20k (cost £40k new!). I intend to keep it for another couple of years.

For a four-year old car, 29k miles is nothing - hardly run-in. Mine's now at 53k (I did a lot of miles in the first two years for my company, but now do about 10k pa). So, depending on the colour, £18k sounds reasonable to me (with AMG alloys as well, eh?)

Servicing is expensive; my last A service was £279.34, my last B was £530.94 (although I have had an A for £112.02, and the last B service was a biggie at 50k miles). I replaced the front and rear discs and pads at 45k (see jimmy on this forum when yours need doing) for £210 and the brake switch went recently which cost a whopping £89.77 (has to be fixed though).

Tyres cost me £400 for all four last October (Goodyear Eagle F1s), but they were 16". Now on 17", but won't need to replace them for a while. £140 per tyre sounds about right.

My overall MPG is 27.87, with a low of 16 (some pretty spirited driving there!) and a high of 38. I'm very happy with that - it is a heavy car with a 3.2 litre V6 automatic, after all :p . One of the few things I would change would be the suspension. It is way too soft and wallowy for me, although upgrading to 17" wheels has helped somewhat, it is nowhere near enough. I know some people feel the Sport sus is too firm.

Yep, one unexpected cost of ownership, thanks to this forum, is modding :D . Like pringles, once you pop, you can't stop :) . The first mod has to be the pedals :D .

I haven't upgraded my speakers, and it is isn't high on my list as the ones already in the car (non-Bose) are good enough, although I accept (like any OEM speakers) that they are not that great. Upgrading to COMAND did make a (good) difference to the sound.

My CLK has taken us all around this country - Lands End to ... Mallaig ;) , Canterbury to Fishguard and has never missed a beat. We've loaded her up with mountain bikes for a week riding in Scotland (and this week will do it again for a week's riding in the Lake District), and loaded up for a week's camping in Bala (with the bikes and kids!) . No problem.

Good luck with your purchase - you won't regret it.

Cheers

Andrew

On the topic of tyres, i can get tyres at a good price.

If anyone wants any, just tell me what you want and ill get you a price. If your in the midlands, i can get them fitted and balanced etc, if not, it will cost you about 10-15 quid at a local tyre place...

Cheers

P.S im also looking for a CLK320, but will have to be a little older with my budget. Lemme know how you get on with yours.

Jay

Commited!

Many thanks for all replies.

Putting deposit down tomorrow and should be in the car in about a week!!!

Some more questions if I may;

What security came as standard with the car? (alarm/immob.)

Where can I get a good insurance deal? Tesco.com are currently most competitive at £2,000 (it's all in the post code and I live in a scorched postcode!)

More importantly what mods should I line myself up for?

Although not a mod, the twirly cup holder looks very cool - where can I get one?

Hopefully in time, I can give some advice as opposed to ask for it!

:D :D :D :D

Sashaaaa

For info, MPG on my CLK430 is 27 on a high speed motorway run (90mph+). Around town about 18mpg and an average of about 21mpg because I have done more town driving recently.

A bit less that the V6 but you would expect that.

The V8 has 279hp and a load of torque which means you get a nice relaxed drive when you want it or you can easily have some fun. Overall, it's very manageable/easy to drive even in very wet or icy conditions.

Mine is April 2000 on a 'W' and worth about £24k i'd guess as it's only done 25k miles.

Hope the info helps and by the way, welcome to the forum. You will get hooked ;)

Re: Commited!

What security came as standard with the car? (alarm/immob.)

Where can I get a good insurance deal? Tesco.com are currently most competitive at £2,000 (it's all in the post code and I live in a scorched postcode!)

More importantly what mods should I line myself up for?

Although not a mod, the twirly cup holder looks very cool - where can I get one?

Mine has a standard factory fit alarm/immob. The alarm is triggered when the car is moved (if someone where to try and lift it onto a tow truck) or by internal movement (smashed window).

For insurance, check out recent threads on the subject!

Mods :bannana: :bannana: glad you are thinking of it already but there are so many it's solely up to you. Guess wheels and suspension to start with but a kleemann supercharger is the ultimate if you have the £££'s

Cup holder from the main dealer. Easy to fit.

Good luck.

Great choice of car. I wanted one but didn t have that much. Though I would love the rag top.

I managed to get quotes from £1500 down to £800 for insurance protected. I did declare the AMG wheels and bodykit though. The best thing to do is shop around. I have found that the local broker came up the cheapest.
I'm buying the car from a "prestige dealership" so I figure realistic prices and OK service - I don't have an awful lot of faith in any dealerships full stop, but not bold enough to go private

Regarding the dealership I would ask that you get all the paperwork from them before you hand over the cash (Signature warranty, etc). It took me months to get it straighten out.

Regarding the price I managed to knock off £750 and got them to install my stereo for the cash deal, though it did take me walking out of the showroom and waiting a day for them to come creeping back. If you aren t happy with everything then ask them to fix it before you buy.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the pictures soon. Oh and the 320 is a lovely sounding engine even though its not a V8.
Cheers
Ian

Again thanks for replies,

Regards insurance, I have been looking around for a while and resigned myself to paying circa £2,000 for a year's comp insurance.

That was until I went to AXA, didn't hold out much hope and then the quote came out at £1,400!!!

Now that's more than fair enough - I added my Dad and sister as named drivers and the cost came down some more!!!

I simply cannot believe how much inconsistency there is out there:

Elephant £2,400
Priviledge £2,100
Tesco £2,000
Taylor Price £1,900
AXA £1,300

:confused: :confused: :confused:

FYI 32 yrs, comp, SE London, on driveway, 2 yrs NCB & SP30 (3 pts) & business travel I

Putting down deposit today, I reckon behind the wheel next week!

Sashaaaa

I got £1000 knocked off my C180 when I bought it for a cash deal, if you need a loan dont go the 30% APR route tooooooo expensive, instead look at the AA website for car loans, they are arranged through the Bank of Scotland and surprisingly cheaper than going to the Bank of Scotland direct, funny that. I bought my car from the main dealer purely for peace of mind if something expensive went wrong even though I could of bought private for £1k less. Good choice of car by the way, if I decided to change my C180 which I absolutely adore and love to bits I would have the CLK320, now that I have had the taste for Mercs, nothing else compares !

I have owned my CLK 320 Cabriolet for 12 months now - I can honestly say it's the best car that I have ever owned. Things to watch out for:
1) Brake discs don't seem to last long (my last C200 was the same - replacement OEM discs are cheap and easy to fit)
2) The V6 engine can suffer from 'sludging' of the engine oil if it has not been changed regularly. Easily checked by removing the oil filler cap and looking carefully. When I was looking for a CLK this was a common problem!!
3) Rear visibility in the cabriolet is hopeless. MB do an aftermarket 'quickpark' kit that can be DIY fitted for about £250. A very worthwhile accessory.
4) Rear tyres seem to last about 15k miles. Front tyres wear very slowly. Mine haven't worn noticably at all after 12k miles.....
5) Petrol consumption - I average 29mpg. This was much better than I ever expected when I was considering buying a CLK!
6) I drove the 230 and the 320 before I purchased. The 320 is a much better drive with only marginally different fuel consumption.
7) Don't expect to get too much in the boot. Even worse with the cabriolet.
8) Buy Comand from e-bay. All your friends will be green with envy.......
9) Buy illuminated door sills from e-bay. Show your friends at night. They will be even greener.
10) Shop around for dealer servicing. 'A' service at my local MB stealer is £300, 'A' service at MB stealer 14 miles away is £200.......
11) Fit the sports pedals. Cheap mod, looks excellent.
12) Buy a 'star grille' and a flat bonnet badge from e-bay. Worthwhile mod.

You won't regret buying the car.

Paul G

That was until I went to AXA, didn't hold out much hope and then the quote came out at £1,400!!!
Whoa! I just got a quote from AXA, with only £375 excess it's £1800, this includes my accident in Feb (so ZERO no claims) which cost my insurer about £7k! Direct Line asked £1700 with a £1000 excess! :eek: I would change insurance company but I can't afford the difference (took policy in May and would get back ~£1150, if new policy is ~£1600 with £1000 excess I still have to find £350 which is too much right now :( ). Ahh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom