Advice on buying w212 in 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Azim

Car
2005 E320 CDI W211
Hi guys

I am looking to buy a w212, i specifically like the late models prior to the huge facelift so 2012 or 2013

There is an e200 cgi on autotrader with low mileage 55k but its at 13k, is that about right?

I am after exactly that, white with panoramic roof but just not sure on the price and there arent many on the market either so cant find a price history on these

Thanks in advance

My advice would be to steer clear off any model that has the M271 engine - just Google M271 and Timing Gear or Camshaft Sprocket Wheels.

I am not sure if W212 cars from 2012-2013 still have the older M271 engine, or perhaps they already had the newer M274 engine which does not suffer from timing gear issues like the M271 does, I'll see if I can find some more infom about it.

At any rate, if you run the VIN in an online VIN decoder, it will tell you what engine the car had (as well as other useful info).

Not many sold in white here.
It may be a Jap import (no bad thing) and that could explain the low mileage and the fact it isn't a Diesel.

The audio can need configuration if so.

If it is pretty much everything that you want, subject to the engine concerns above, you'd probably regret missing out on it for 500 or even £1,000 which, over a few years is nothing in the scheme of things....

Good luck 🤞

PS if it is the one in South Norwood, then its not showing as an import....

Looks nice. Check the date of the advert (available in PC browser web address) as ifit be up for a while, the private seller may be open to negotiation....

Last edited:
My advice would be to steer clear off any model that has the M271 engine - just Google M271 and Timing Gear or Camshaft Sprocket Wheels.

I am not sure if W212 cars from 2012-2013 still have the older M271 engine, or perhaps they already had the newer M274 engine which does not suffer from timing gear issues like the M271 does, I'll see if I can find some more infom about it.

At any rate, if you run the VIN in an online VIN decoder, it will tell you what engine the car had (as well as other useful info).
Thanks you ill make sure to check that didnt know about that.

Anything to be wary about if i go down the diesel route?

Not many sold in white here.
It may be a Jap import (no bad thing) and that could explain the low mileage and the fact it isn't a Diesel.

The audio can need configuration if so.

If it is pretty much everything that you want, subject to the engine concerns above, you'd probably regret missing out on it for 500 or even £1,000 which, over a few years is nothing in the scheme of things....

Good luck 🤞
Cool didnt know it could be an import. I dont want an imported car i prefer to always buy the car that was made for the market, ill check that too thanks

Thanks you ill make sure to check that didnt know about that.

Anything to be wary about if i go down the diesel route?

I think it's too early for a car of this age to have AdBlue, which is good - you really don't want a car that has the AdBlue system. If it says BlueTec anywhere - run a mile (Not to be confused with BlueEfficiency, which is fine and has nothing to do with AdBlue).

Also keep in mind that pre-2015 Diesel cars might not be ULEZ/CAZ compliant - not sure if this makes a difference to you though.

The M274 petrol engine (if this is what the car has) can suffer from thermostat failure, they're not cheap to replace so check that the car reaches normal working temperature (85⁰-90⁰) quickly and stays there.

Other typical MB issues are a failed Front Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor (will bring up an SRS fault on the dash), and front wheel speed sensor (will bring up the ESP/ABS light on the dash). And, if the car has electrically folding mirrors, fold and unfold them a few times then check that the indicators are working, there could be broken wires inside the mirror housing.

What does the MOT history look like?

Hi guys

I am looking to buy a w212, i specifically like the late models prior to the huge facelift so 2012 or 2013

There is an e200 cgi on autotrader with low mileage 55k but its at 13k, is that about right?

I am after exactly that, white with panoramic roof but just not sure on the price and there arent many on the market either so cant find a price history on these

Thanks in advance
Thinks deeply - you may regret getting rid of the W211. I did!

Assuming it's the white one advertised, 13-plate, 54,400 miles, the MOT history shows 72,000 miles in 2016 (first MOT), but then 30,000 in 2017, and then rising from there. It MIGHT be an error, but worth checking further.

According to Wiki, if it's a 1.8 it's a M271.
2013 was the change over to the M274 which was a 2 litre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom