Advice On Fitting A Gas Fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rf065

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
We moved into a new build house 2 years ago, there is a false chimney breast in the lounge and we were told there was a gas pipe left there to connect a gas fire to.

Before I cut a hole in the gyprock to connect the fire, what am I likely to find? Is it usual when they build new houses to leave a valve or just a capped end, and if so what size copper pipe will they have left? The last thing I want to do is cut a hole in the wall & find I don't have the right connections.

Russ

False chimney breast? Does it contain a flue? Or are you planning to install a "flue-less" fire?

It is a flueless fire that sits on the wall, one of the catalytic convertor types.
The false chimney is just a studded wall type thing, I've already hung the fire on the wall and have to put an air vent in the wall also.

Just don't want any surprises when I open the wall up to connnect the fire as the wife will expect it all put back together, papered & painted etc the same day.

Russ

I would expect the pipe to be capped. Leaving a concealed valve would be poor practice..

Assuming you're not a Corgi registed plumber/heating engineer, you'll be commiting a criminal offence working on gas pipework.
You can't know whether or not the flue is correctly exhausting the carbon monoxide.
Do yourself and your family a huge favour and get a qualified man to do the job !!!
Doug

PS Anyone offering practical advise should be careful of the potential consequences.

Last edited:
Assuming you're not a Corgi registed plumber/heating engineer, you'll be commiting a criminal offence working on gas pipework.
You can't know whether or not the flue is correctly exhausting the carbon monoxide.
Do yourself and your family a huge favour and get a qualified man to do the job !!!
Doug

I've been working with gas for 32 years, just not inside houses.
The title of the thread may be misleading, I'm not looking for advice on how to fit a fire, but what house builders usually leave behind the wall to connect on to. Appreciate & agree your concerns though.

Russ

Last edited:
You will probably (should) find an 8mm or 10mm pipe with a cap soldered onto it.
You are mucking around with gas so my advice to you is to get in a corgi registered plumber.Legally you can carry out the work yourself but because this is a gas pipe and if you are not too sure what you are doing, you dont want to have a leak.

usually it'll be a 15mm capped pipe under the flooring usually with a switched fused spur nearby

Go for corgi registered plumbers and put your feet up after there hard days work

What size vent does a flueless gas appliance need?

(Vent = free air to provide O2 for Combustion)

In the absence of the manufacturers instuctions, 100 sq cms free area for this type of flueless, (catalytic), gas fire.

The pipe will in all lilelyhood be solder capped 15mm but possibly 10mm soft copper. There should be no compression fittings behind the plasterboard or under the flooring.

Portzy.

Last edited:
What size vent does a flueless gas appliance need?

(Vent = free air to provide O2 for Combustion)

100cm2 purpose provided minimum plus an openable window, dependant on any other appliances in the same room of which there are none.

Russ

Legally you can carry out the work yourself but because this is a gas pipe and if you are not too sure what you are doing, you dont want to have a leak.

I'd better know what I'm doing 'cause I'm on standby on new years day in case they need me to find any gas leaks!

Russ

I'd better know what I'm doing 'cause I'm on standby on new years day in case they need me to find any gas leaks!

Russ
TRANSCO then eh?:D. Ahh those were the days:(. Spent many an hour looking into dark holes at un-godly hours. Is it still 20% LEL that triggers evacuations?

Portzy

TRANSCO then eh?:D. Ahh those were the days:(. Spent many an hour looking into dark holes at un-godly hours. Is it still 20% LEL that triggers evacuations?

Portzy

Everything is still the same, except they try to get you home as quick as possible. No more all nighters, then getting the day of as rest period.

Russ

Part of me wishes I was still there though :(, BG that is.

Portzy.

Me too, but BG is long gone and all the new companies that have arrived are only in it to please the shareholders, safety has taken a step backwards as profits are number one priority. But when it was BG and a very safe nationalised industry, everyone moaned. C'est La Vie.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom