Advice on garage floor paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nb_racing

Car
Golf TDi 170 commuter daily hack.
Hi all.

I'm wanting to paint my garage floor, it's an old concrete floor which isn't too great but essentially solid. It's obviously very dusty so I'm after some first hand experience or advice on the best paint to use and whether or not to seal it first in order for the paint to adhere properly.

Cheers.

Seal it with a pvc glue wash first, then a proper garage floor paint.

Did ours circa 20 years ago. Washed as much dust away as possible. Can'y remember using anything else to prep it but used 'Garage Floor Paint' from Wickes or B and Q, cost was around £40 a tin but has done it's job over the years. Similar to this

Coo-var Floor Paint Tile Red 5L | Wickes.co.uk

In my old house I went to Behar carpets and bought a Roll end of metallic silver Lino for £50. Put that down, job done!!

Definitely seal it first. I've had problems with the tyres sticking to the floor after the car has been put away wet and the paint then lifting off in chunks. Must be a poor concrete surface. The amount of money I've spent on paint over the last 23 years I could have done a proper job and tiled it.

Telling you!! Good Linos the trick!!!

Seal it with a pvc glue wash first, then a proper garage floor paint.

IF you go down this route then make sure the PVA & water mix is not too strong. Otherwise it'll crate a skin on top. When painted and you drive in your garage it'll simply peel up. (Speaking through experience when I was 19 and dads garage)

TBH buy a good quality concrete sealer and do it properly. Cost more than PVA but so worth it.

Floor levelling compound is only necessary if concrete is bruised and battered. If you do this PVA sealant would be required.

Ant.

Try paintmaster (Google the website for prices).
We use them for our factory floors.
It covers all sorts of muck that's already soaked in and any loose dust becomes a nonslip surface, it just mixes with the paint as you roll it.
Roll it on thick to let it soak in and seal. put on a 2nd coat the next day, leave for a couple of days to a week before parking on it depending on the weather.
They deliver next day.

I could have done a proper job and tiled it.

I've always wanted to do that with the old robust terracotta quarry tiles but there's never a good time to spend that kind of money.

My dream house would have fully tiled double garage with gully drain so I could wash the car indoors. :bannana:

Thread Hi-Jack. Apologies.

Does anybody have any Rubber Skirt material (like old conveyor belt). I need some to run along the bottom of my double width garage door as a weather and anti rodent strip. It needs to be about 240mm Height?

I've got some Bruce but it's transparent.

It's been that long since I used it I'm not sure what's on the roll.

I'll have a nosey in my workshop tomorrow and let you know.

What W x L do you need?

I've got some Bruce but it's transparent.

It's been that long since I used it I'm not sure what's on the roll.

I'll have a nosey in my workshop tomorrow and let you know.

What W x L do you need?

It needs to be a minimum of 240mm but can be wider as I will just screw it to the bottom of the door allowing t to flex and create a seal when the door is closed. Width is standard double door. So I would guess 6 meters?

It has to be strong enough to stop your average rodent from pushing under it and (Yes this is true) we do get rather large adders here in Kent.

If you could have a look for me that would be brilliant. Thank you. I have tried eBay etc but it is all 120mm stuff. The Pajero Forum guys say use old conveyor belts. Easier said than done - I can't find any.

Hmmm. Doubt I've got 6m but I do know it's 250mm wide. We used it in a factory for drape curtains at the entrance to a little workshop. (Hence why it's transparent)

I'll have a nosey tomorrow mate.

Ant.

Ant

I can always use it in sections rather one length. Thanks for letting me know and trying to help.

Bruce

Only ever had good results with Epoxy - others seem to wear quickly

My garage had a badly concreted floor that spewed dust everywhere.

A couple of years back I did the following:

Sealed the whole area with a 1 to 4 ratio pvc glue to water. Just chuck it down and sweep it around with a brush. This seals and forms a primer surface.

Then I used epoxy resin floor paint, 5kg covered the floor of a double garage.

It's lasting well, hasn't chipped or risen and no more dust.

I don't put cars in the garage though, one side is stuff, the other side is my weight lifting setup.

Hi all.

I'm wanting to paint my garage floor, it's an old concrete floor which isn't too great but essentially solid. It's obviously very dusty so I'm after some first hand experience or advice on the best paint to use and whether or not to seal it first in order for the paint to adhere properly.

Cheers.

My garage had a badly concreted floor that spewed dust everywhere.

A couple of years back I did the following:

Sealed the whole area with a 1 to 4 ratio pvc glue to water. Just chuck it down and sweep it around with a brush. This seals and forms a primer surface.

Then I used epoxy resin floor paint, 5kg covered the floor of a double garage.

It's lasting well, hasn't chipped or risen and no more dust.

I too settled for a light grey two-part epoxy paint - Rustoleum.

I didn't seal the floor but wire brushed it and vacuumed it. Preparation is the secret of success. (isn't it always?)

Great result, but difficult to work with and "goes off" in two hours so have to work quickly and cleaning up is a b****r! In fact, use sacrificial equipment where you can so that you don't have to clean the stuff.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom