Advice on issue and service recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
Some may know I have recently serviced my gearbox which went smooth and well. However I was having an issue before servicing the box, which is why I serviced it sooner rather than later (also the car was on 55k and I suspect had not had a box service. Anyway the issue I get is soft hesitation at very low rpms and speed or when I'm driving like a granny. This happens no matter hot or cold. But does not happen at all when spirited driving takes place, which leads me to think the problem is not with the gearbox. Interms of service, so far I have done the following : engine oil, diff oil, gearbox oil, oil filter, air filters, coolant, brake fluid,steering fluid. What else should I do? Obviously some of the services noted where not to rectify this issue.

Last edited:
Some may know I have recently serviced my gearbox which went smooth and well. However I was having an issue before servicing the box, which is why I serviced it sooner rather than later (also the car was on 55k and I suspect had not had a box service. Anyway the issue I get is soft hesitation at very low rpms and speed or when I'm driving like a granny. This happens no matter hot or cold. But does not happen at all when spirited driving takes place, which leads me to think the problem is not with the gearbox. Interms of service, so far I have done the following : engine oil, diff oil, gearbox oil, oil filter, air filters, coolant, brake fluid,steering fluid. What else should I do? Obviously some of the services noted where not to rectify this issue.
I think that a hesitancy on the 7g box is a common trait of that gearbox and the turbo , so I’m not sure you have a problem ?

Well you seem to have left one filter unchanged the fuel filter,that said as W1ghty said the 7g box is a little slow doing things when you are bimbling along.

Are you using S (Sport) mode - as opposed to E (Economy) or C (Comfort)?

I find that performance is very poor when not in S, probably because MB were gunning for the lowest emission figures possible...

It is true that I drive cars with small petrol engines, so the torque isn't that great, while your V6 Diesel should be much better with torque at low RPM, but possibly MB have programmed the TCU to 'make the most' out of the torque by keeping the rev too low when not in S?

Don’t forget that driving in C mode starts the car moving in 2nd gear . S starts in 1st gear

Thanks for all the replies, and yes there are a few more things needing to be done. I will be doing the fuel filter this week and possibly will remove the throttle body to give it a clean too. I want to the glow plugs too very soon, but they sound tricky. Anyone know likely worst case scenario should a tip snap?

I did read that a software update was out for this issue?

The issue I'm speaking of is felt in c more although I haven't throughly checked it out in s mode. I've only had the car a month and for two weeks I was doing work on it.

ok so checked the car more in depth and it seems that when cold the car isn't hesitating, so 'i'm reluctant to think its a gearbox feature as such. So I need to order a bunch of parts for the throttle body and need the fuel filter. I have a few questions if someone could please help out.

1. I'm not really confident in mb regarding parts so apparently my car DOESNT have a heater element or a water sensor in the fuel filter. If I purchase this filter and it turns out to be wrong, I presume it will not fit?
  2. Is there a detailed DIY on doing this job on the w219 diesel model or is it just a case of disconnect fuels lines remove old filter and reconnect new one? Do you also prime with diesel first?
  3. To change the glow plugs im planning on over 7 days put release agent in the glow plug wells and drive the card round. will this cause an issue with the engine running?
  4. worst case scenario, if the glow plugs snap, how hard are they to remove and what is the process?

Hang on a minute. Don't these boxes program themselves to a driver's style over time? Before spending megabux try a reset.

Maybe. But the things I'm looking to do are needed anyway.

ok so checked the car more in depth and it seems that when cold the car isn't hesitating, so 'i'm reluctant to think its a gearbox feature as such. So I need to order a bunch of parts for the throttle body and need the fuel filter. I have a few questions if someone could please help out.

1. I'm not really confident in mb regarding parts so apparently my car DOESNT have a heater element or a water sensor in the fuel filter. If I purchase this filter and it turns out to be wrong, I presume it will not fit?
  2. Is there a detailed DIY on doing this job on the w219 diesel model or is it just a case of disconnect fuels lines remove old filter and reconnect new one? Do you also prime with diesel first?
  3. To change the glow plugs im planning on over 7 days put release agent in the glow plug wells and drive the card round. will this cause an issue with the engine running?
  4. worst case scenario, if the glow plugs snap, how hard are they to remove and what is the process?
1 . Buy the correct filter from MB if in doubt
2 . You may need Clic-r pliers from eBay for the fuel line clips . You can reuse the clips , but some people buy new ones , they are 2 different sizes by the way . You don’t need to prime the filter . It’s an easy job , remove the black batwing and its a couple of bolts .
3 . Changed my E320cdi Glow Plugs
it won’t cause an issue to the car
4. try not to snap them

Hello again, I hope to not snap the plugs but its a vital step in assessing the job. I always look at the worst case incase go south

Hello again, I hope to not snap the plugs but its a vital step in assessing the job. I always look at the worst case incase go south
I have got a couple of “cards” from mobile mechanics in my area , if I snapped one my backup would be to call them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom