Advice on ML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Really fancy swapping my e250 for a ML250 15 plate.
Can anyone tell me if the ML is generally a reliable model?
One I'm looking at is at main dealer with 30k miles

Thanks

Mine has been exemplary to be honest, now done 56k on a 13 plate.

We have a 12 plate 350 and its been an excellent all round family vehicle. Would have another one without hesitation. One thing I would say is they are pretty poorly specced out of the factory as a basic model.

Have an 11 plate 350cdi Sport, 73 k miles now , only done about 3 k miles since I bought it but had zero problems with it, very well specced ( no air suspension though ). Had a 2007 version and that was also ok except for ABS sensors and glow plugs, nothing major though. Very comfortable and like the driving position. If I change it might be tempted to try an ML63 just for the hell of it before I fall off my perch

I love mine, use it as a daily and its bloody perfect.

Make sure its fully loaded, spec makes a massive difference.

Had an 08 ML320 for 6 years. No issues. Only sold at 70k miles when I had the use of 2 x company cars.
Strayed into Range Rover land for just one year, lots of issues!
Now back in a GLE, the ML's younger brother. No issues.....Nuff said.
PS. Airmatic is a big bonus on this big tall car. Any ML250 on factory 21" rims would have this.

Some might say that the 4 cylinder OM651 diesel engine lacks refinement and has to work that bit harder in such a heavy vehicle. Handling is very much dependent on the sophistication of the suspension. The ML 250 comes with coil springs as standard. Puting it another way- the entry level 250 driving experience is likely to be quite a bit different from its more sophisticated brethern. One comment was that altho on paper the OM651 engined car was more economical on paper driving it in a spirited fashion to keep up with traffic could drop MPG figures by up to 10mpg

I can’t comment on the 250 engine specifically, but it sounds like you have personal experience of the same engine in your current E-Class.

The W166 ML seems to be reliable, we have many owners on MBClub with different engines options, and I don’t recall reading much about issues with any of them - it’s really luck of the draw though.

The ML seems to be much much less common than they were say 15 years ago, which is probably because of the huge range of full size SUVs these days, and the so far unstoppable rise of Range Rover.

I’ve had each generation of ML and loved them all so you may wish to dismiss my comments on the basis that I may be a bit of a fan boi:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom