Advice on new uPVC windows/patio doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Been getting quotes to replace all windows in house+ patios. Its a big job with 20 windows/4 french doors.

Been given a wide variety of quotes from a range of local installers. Cheapest was 12.5k, moving up to the 14.5k range then a few in the 18K range.

One of the 18k chappies turned up in a suit/merc and mont blanc pen. Knew he would come out on top just by the attire (overheads....).

Anyway, the cheapest was for a duraflex system and the others were rehau based.

How in God's name does one know what to go for? Please advise. All of these are for A rated windows etc etc.

Ask them for referrals from previous customers. If you can its worth going to have a look at a previous installation and ask the people if their happy with the service.

Ask them for referrals from previous customers. If you can its worth going to have a look at a previous installation and ask the people if their happy with the service.

Problem is they won't be giving you the complaints nor showing you the bodged jobs...

Ultimately ask people you know for recommendations, and don't pay the bill in it's entirety until you are happy with the job.

A friend of mine is getting their windows done at the moment and they have been offered a good deal by anglian and apparently they will do a good deal for their referrals too, if you want I can get you some contact details.

Regards

Tan

Advice on new uPVC windows/patio doors: they're bloody horrible, fit proper wooden ones

Nick Froome

Make sure the glazing bars are internal, not external - so the sealed units can only be removed from the inside - we had replacements fitted early 90's with external ones - guess how the burglars got in!

With that many doors, look at locks with one key to pass and internal tab locks rather than keys - much easier on the pocket, and makes emergency exit easier. Also anti bump, anti drill and anti snap locks.

Look carefully at the warranty - our "10 year" warranty was only 1 year on hardware - so when a hinge gave up after 18 months, I had to pay!

I am getting quotes at present to replace my Crittals with metal (but double glazed) equivalents (planning permission required otherwise). I have two upvc patio doors, both of which have warped and let in the air, and of the four upvc windows, two have blown so no real insulation. If the quote is decent enough I'll replace all the upvc ones too. Horrible things.

Last edited:
Make sure the glazing bars are internal, not external - so the sealed units can only be removed from the inside - we had replacements fitted early 90's with external ones - guess how the burglars got in!

With that many doors, look at locks with one key to pass and internal tab locks rather than keys - much easier on the pocket, and makes emergency exit easier. Also anti bump, anti drill and anti snap locks.

Look carefully at the warranty - our "10 year" warranty was only 1 year on hardware - so when a hinge gave up after 18 months, I had to pay!

Happened to us too...now all stuck in with double sided tape.

Supposedly UPVC windows will reduce the value of your house - they are not popular.

I had Anglian ones fitted in my previous house ... the lack of maintenance is appealing but I don't think I'd do it again. Quality-wise they were OK, IIRC the warranty was 15 years and we used them a couple of times towards the end of that period to replace a few hinges and locks.

Current house has the original single-glazed 25+ year old windows so we are going to have to bite the bullet at some point :(

Supposedly UPVC windows will reduce the value of your house - they are not popular.

I had Anglian ones fitted in my previous house ... the lack of maintenance is appealing but I don't think I'd do it again. Quality-wise they were OK, IIRC the warranty was 15 years and we used them a couple of times towards the end of that period to replace a few hinges and locks.

Current house has the original single-glazed 25+ year old windows so we are going to have to bite the bullet at some point :(

The question of value of the property is dependent upon area.

Hi

My advice would be to make sure you have enough opening sashes that would allow you to escape in the event of fire.
Far too many people here in Belfast opted for just having little top opening window that even a cat couldn't get out of because that company was the cheapest.

If you are going for PVC go for Rehau but don't discount hardwood.

While some may not like them you'll be amazed at the sound deadening and insulation properties of correctly fitted decent uPVC.

It's draughts that make rooms uncomfortable.

There may be a window/dg forum you could have a sniff around - when I was looking at tanking my shower I found a tilers forum - who'd have thought it :dk:.

While some may not like them you'll be amazed at the sound deadening and insulation properties of correctly fitted decent uPVC.

Quite right!

We had all of ours done late last year. Replaced all the hardwood which was put in by the builders with uPVC. House instantly noticeably warmer, all draughts gone, plus we can now watch all the trees outside in a storm without hearing a thing! The only sound we have heard since then were the storms last week, so it took 60mph+ winds before we could hear anything. :thumb:

^ Agreed and warmer (though could be better). We also replaced wood framed single glazed (put in by the builders in 1892). Triple glazing would be the ultimate and provide the same insulation value as an insulated cavity wall.

Wood frames have a higher insulation value than UPVC.
No real need to go to triple glazed in the UK, gas filled double glazing works very well.

Assuming the old frames aren't rotten and are attractive, have sealed units made up, chop the old glazing out, route the casements if not deep enough, then install the new units into the old frames.

Use butyl putty as the bedding compound though.

Last edited:
If your patio doors are to be hinged (ie not sliding) then pay attention to the handles. When we got some fitted, i expected normal handles on both doors, but the second door had hidden latches that can only be accessed when the first door is open. They're quite fiddly to open.

Oh and also got an aluminium quote at over 22K + VAT!!!

Infinitely better than ''plastic'' though......good quality timber is probably best but if maintenance is to be avoided it has to be aluminium. We always remove plastic windows and install timber windows on refurbishments.

Mic

We also replaced wood framed single glazed (put in by the builders in 1892)

What are the chances of the UPVC still being in situ after 120 years?

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom