Advice on number plate transfers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,
I've got a private plate on my W220. The car is up for sale, but I want to keep the plate.

I've got someone interested but they are travelling a long way, so if they like it, they want to take the car there and then (tonight).

Question is, can I sell the car tonight and still transfer/retain my plate? (Yes, I know I should have done this before advertising the car!!!)

What advice can anyone give?
Should I just tell the buyer they need to hold off until I have done the transfer, or is there a way I can sell the car today AND keep my plate?

Thanks for any help.

shr.

Might be wrong here but officially I think if you sell the car and hand over log book you are also handing over reg plate !!!

Unless that is you know the person and trust them (ive done it in the past when selling a car to a friend)

If you did trust them then you could sell car - hand over log book - wait for them to receive new log book - get them to go put it on retention (naming you as a nominee) then they would hand over retention document for you to assign to your new vehicle

You really need to swap plate over first I think

(stand to be corrected)

Chris

Grab all your ducuments and head off to your local DVLA office they can put it on retention and sort your documents out in about and hour. I think the cost is £105. . . this includes the cost of transfering it to your new vehicle when you get one.
You will need a V317 form, downloadable from the web site.
For more info www.direct.gov.uk/numbertransfer

sTeVe

Thanks guys.
Mrs. shr is on her way down to DVLA office right now.

Can the DVLA office's do a car to car transfer while you wait ? or is it just onto a Retention Cert and off a Retention Cert at the local office's ?

I may have a number to transfer soon, I own both vehicles.

u can have the plate transfered to another car, or put on retention both options avail cheaper to transfer to another car £80 charge, however the buyer will need it with new plates and u will be issued new road tax disc, he may want to collect the car upon arrival of the log book for the car.

but it is true if u sign off the log book u r selling with no plate included and only an honest person will return and how many are around these days !!

but it is true if u sign off the log book u r selling with no plate included and only an honest person will return and how many are around these days !!

Yep, that's true.

I sold a vehicle with my private plate on, as it was an impulse trade. We agreed that I'd have my plate back - but it never happened:( He did offer to sell it back to me sometime later:wallbash:

Update:
The new tax disc and MOT cert came through within seven days and the new log book two days after that, so a total of nine days turn around to get everything in place. Not back, I reckon.

Anyway, guy turned up yesterday with cash in hand and was so impressed that he paid what we'd verbally agreed on the phone.

So my W220 has left me. Was very sad actually as the car had sentimenatal value to me. But the fact that I was doing less than 1000 miles per annum meant it had to go.
Gone to a good home though, so will hopefully be looked after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom