Advice on parking ticket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bouncer

Got a ticket for parking in a residents parking zone.
It changes from 2 hours free to residents only after 5pm
Can you spot the nearest sign from my car. lol.
Should i challange this.
The pic was taken in the day, the PCN was issued in the dark.

sTeve

Attachments

• pic 01.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 173
If there is any doubt at all, as seems to be the case here, I would challenge it.

Were you drunk too, when you took that picture?:rolleyes:

Where did you read it said two hours free, if you hadn't read the sign??

Not much of a case I don't think, pay up and look happy and learn by your mistakes.;)

Were you drunk too, when you took that picture?:rolleyes:

Where did you read it said two hours free, if you hadn't read the sign??

Not much of a case I don't think, pay up and look learn by your mistakes.;)

The sign is in the bush (you can only just see the post going into the bush) :eek: , i only read the sign when i came back in daylight. its was only in the daylight that i found the sign. :rolleyes:

sTeVe

If that is the only sign obscured by the hedge then I would contest it.
I am pretty sure that all signs must be clearly visible.
A chap at my local (notice I did not use the word 'friend') is a civil enforcement officer so I will check with him tonight. (any excuse to go to the pub!).

This one..

Surely if the bays said permit only and you couldn't read the sign, how did you know they were free until 5:00pm.?

Last edited:
OH bugger. try seeing that in the dark!

sTeVe

If you saw my post from yesterday, I've been checking up on this. If the sign is not visible then you should definitely be able to win an appeal. However, you may lose the opportunity to pay the reduced rate. :(

The issuing authority sometimes provide a method to appeal informally, but this almost always fails. The whole purpose of the informal appeal is to give moaners a chance to rant on about the 'system'. This reduces the number of formal appeals that the authority has to deal with. However, if you provide strong evidence then they might cancel the PCN straight away.

If not, I would definitely make a formal appeal. Make sure you submit the evidence, quote the appropriate regulations, describe the lighting conditions, explain that you looked for a sign to check the hours but couldn't see one, etc. You can appeal by post, which is often successful if you have good documentation, or you can appear in person.

Good luck!

Sign regulations

Hi Bouncer,

Sure that Robert will back up my statement but, Traffic Sign Regulations & General Directions 2002 (TSR&GD 2002) I can't recall the sign number but it is either 660.3 or 660.1 gives you the size & font of the signage.

Signs manual chapter 3 confirms that signage must be placed within 5 mtres of the end of any RPS parking bay & then at intervals of no more than 30 mtrs if the bay is longer than 30 mtrs. If the bay is shorter than 30 mtrs then the sign must be centrally placed..

Trust me, I like Robert work in the parking unit of an authority & know the score.

Dave

Hi Bouncer,

Sure that Robert will back up my statement but, Traffic Sign Regulations & General Directions 2002 (TSR&GD 2002) I can't recall the sign number but it is either 660.3 or 660.1 gives you the size & font of the signage.

Signs manual chapter 3 confirms that signage must be placed within 5 mtres of the end of any RPS parking bay & then at intervals of no more than 30 mtrs if the bay is longer than 30 mtrs. If the bay is shorter than 30 mtrs then the sign must be centrally placed..

Trust me, I like Robert work in the parking unit of an authority & know the score.

Dave
Dave/Robert

And as there is a side road before the next sign, that means that sign does not apply to the "bay" Bouncer parked in. Doesn't it?

The CEO at my local reckons you will almost definately get this quashed.
They had the same thing locally and had to tear up half a dozen tickets.

Funny; looking at the image I see no reason whatsoever to cancel it. But that opinion is based on that image, which isn't good enough to pass judgement. I assume your CEO 'friend' has seen the same image and knows this road well?

No he dosen't know the road at all. All he said is that if the sign is not clearly visible then the ticket should get cancelled.
Having said that, a picture from a different angle could tell a completely different story.
From this angle it looks like the sign is 'in' the hedge but from up the road it may be visible.

Even if 1 sign is 'in the hedge' the restriction of resident parking bays will have more than 1 sign; it's worth appealing if the hedge is very overgrown but a savvy CEO would have mentioned that fact in their pocket book, and made mention of any other signs/restrictions etc.

Very hard to pass judgement without further information :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom