Advice on purchasing a C230k 2002

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackmatrix

Car
C230k Coupe
Hi all, I'm new to the world of Merc so hi :)

I am currently looking for a second car (our main day car is a Fiesta Zetec S) and that happily takes my mrs to work and does the shopping !

I'm looking for a second car for me, to have some fun in and get me from A to B withought problems.

A local garage has a 2002 (51 plate) C230k Coupe for approx £3800 and it is fully loaded (leather seats, elec everything, panaramic sunroof etc..). The car has done 65k so fairly low miles and everything appears to be working on it.

I have done some research and the camp appears to be split on this, is the C230k a reliable car or is there a good chance I'm going to have to pay out quite a lot in the future for common problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, i do love the car but also have to think of the overall running costs this may lead to.

Many thanks :)

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Merc so hi :)

I am currently looking for a second car (our main day car is a Fiesta Zetec S) and that happily takes my mrs to work and does the shopping !

I'm looking for a second car for me, to have some fun in and get me from A to B withought problems.

A local garage has a 2002 (51 plate) C230k Coupe for approx £3800 and it is fully loaded (leather seats, elec everything, panaramic sunroof etc..). The car has done 65k so fairly low miles and everything appears to be working on it.

I have done some research and the camp appears to be split on this, is the C230k a reliable car or is there a good chance I'm going to have to pay out quite a lot in the future for common problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, i do love the car but also have to think of the overall running costs this may lead to.

Many thanks :)

Hi,i'm no expert on the 230k but as with any older used mb make sure the car has a full service history/repair receipts & also check the old mot's to see what work(if any) has been needed in the past,check the car over carefully before test driving to make sure everything works as it should,tax/insurance shouldn't be too bad on that car but mpg wise you will only see high 20's over a tank,good luck.

Hi Steve, cheers for the advice.

I've yet to see the paperwork, will hopefully do that tomorrow. It apparently has a full service history (need to check). I have done an insurance quote and its not bad atall, tax i think will be £260 per year.

MPG is not far off what i was getting in my Renaultsport Clio 197 so i can live with that, do you know if you can use unleaded in these or do you need to stick to super?

Cheers

Hi Steve, cheers for the advice.

I've yet to see the paperwork, will hopefully do that tomorrow. It apparently has a full service history (need to check). I have done an insurance quote and its not bad atall, tax i think will be £260 per year.

MPG is not far off what i was getting in my Renaultsport Clio 197 so i can live with that, do you know if you can use unleaded in these or do you need to stick to super?

Cheers

No probs,normal unleaded is fine.

The 230k is generally a strong reliable engine. The main issues on early 203s - saloon/coupe etc are rust and flakey electrics. Make sure everything works - test it all several times. If the mileage is genuine then it should be fine.

Cheers GP801, there are a few small rust spots but i guess with a 10 year old car some small amount is to be expected, I will go over it with a fine toothcomb ! I think the electrics are my main concern as there are a lot of them, will definately test them all several times.

The engine will be an M111 2295cc engine too, not one of the later M271 1.8s that were boosted up to the eyeballs to achieve similar performance.

VERY reliable. Mid-30s MPG is possible with gentle driving and smooth motorway use.

Yep its definately the 2.3 engine not the 1.8, is the 2.3 a much better engine then?

Yep its definately the 2.3 engine not the 1.8, is the 2.3 a much better engine then?
The M111 is a solid engine from the early 90s as seen in the W124, W210 models etc. They are generally bulletproof and the supercharged models were highly reinforced and very strong units. The newer 1.8s will be lighter and probably better on fuel but personally I'd rather have the CCs. There is more tuning potential with the M111 as well as it's under a lot less pressure as standard.

Many thanks for all of your advice, you've helped relieve some of my fears. I will get down and take a closer look and just maybe buy myself a second run about :)

It is a good engine... but I think £3800 for a 51 plate is daylight robbery :)

When I bought my 230k (W202) it was an 8 year old car with ~60k on the clock and I bought it for slightly less than you're paying. Have a look around before buying... Those cars are a buyers market delight because they're thirsty.

W203's are not as solid as W202's, on saying that I had to spend a reasonable amount in maintenance... so don't expect to run it for free.

It is a really fun engine though, especially in manual guise imo.

good luck :)

Hi Adam, its at a independant car dealership so the price has obviously been bumped up, I would do my best to haggle a fair bit off for cash.

Its also an auto by the way....

Same engine in my clk. Had it a year now with no issues. Steady around town will see early 30s and on a run at a steady 60mph just over 40mpg is achievable. I can do Manchester to Dover on half a tank.

Check for engine oil contamination in the engine wiring loom. Common issue and expensive to fix.

Thanks for the advice on the wiring loom, tbh some of these issues are putting me off and I think I'm gonna give it a miss, shame really as a great looking car. I will just have to save a fair bit more and get a Z4 !

Thanks for the advice on the wiring loom, tbh some of these issues are putting me off and I think I'm gonna give it a miss, shame really as a great looking car. I will just have to save a fair bit more and get a Z4 !

^ Because Z4's don't have expensive fixes:crazy:

All cars have issues... just need to go into it with your eyes open :D

If you want a car without issues... there's always Honda or Toyota

Yep all cars can be expensive I agree, I had a Renaultsport before and that wasn't the cheapest to run!

A Z4 was my first choice tbh but i have been swayed by MB recently.

Anyway onto the C230K in question, I went to see it this afternoon and in all honesty I was wowed by it, to say its 10 years old it looks more like 2 years old with the inside in A1 condition. The bodywork is also in fantastic condition with only 3 minor rust spots that the dealer is willing to put right. The car has a genuine 67k on the clock and all electrics etc.. are fully working, the paperwork is all from MB dealerships with work done (not a lot as far as I can tell) except the odd fix and regular services.

I am now more keen then ever, but need to discuss with her indoors !

Thanks for everyones feedback, its much appreciated :)

Yep all cars can be expensive I agree, I had a Renaultsport before and that wasn't the cheapest to run!

A Z4 was my first choice tbh but i have been swayed by MB recently.

Anyway onto the C230K in question, I went to see it this afternoon and in all honesty I was wowed by it, to say its 10 years old it looks more like 2 years old with the inside in A1 condition. The bodywork is also in fantastic condition with only 3 minor rust spots that the dealer is willing to put right. The car has a genuine 67k on the clock and all electrics etc.. are fully working, the paperwork is all from MB dealerships with work done (not a lot as far as I can tell) except the odd fix and regular services.

I am now more keen then ever, but need to discuss with her indoors !

Thanks for everyones feedback, its much appreciated :)

Sounds like a well looked after example,good luck with it if you get the all clear from the governor;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom