Advice on (R231) SL350 Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoristheBounce

Car
EQC 400 4Matic AMG in Brilliant Blue SL400 AMG Sport in Polar White
Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone can help please.

I've just sold my little plaything which was a little Z4, I'm looking for something a little more gentile to replace it with so came upon the SL350, ideal for European touring etc.

Looking at a possible 2012/13/14 model can anyone offer advice on what to look out for on these please when buying.

Many thanks in advance.

Nev

Hi Nev - I recently bought a 2013 SL350 and I absolutely love it! from what I understand they are pretty much bullet proof but do carefully check the service history - they should have one every year even if the mileage is low. Also understand that you'll be buying an 8 year old car so even a pristine looking example will most likely need some work doing - mine for example, needed a new main battery and auxiliary battery, it'll also need the front trail arms replacing in the next year. Check if and when the discs, pads and tyres were replaced and adjust your offer accordingly if they need replacing soon.

I would also think about what options you'd like to have, the base car is well specced but there were quite a few options to choose from. From my perspective the important ones are:
Airscarf
Electric wind deflector
Reversing camera
Electric boot opening operation (Mine didn't have this one and I wish it did).
Dark Wood Trim
Nappa Leather

Nice to have:
ABC suspension (rare)
Driving assistance package
Harman Kardon sound system
Ambient lighting package (I think it looks really good but not everyone will agree)

A bit gimmicky:
Magic sky control
analogue clock

I would suggest you look at a few before you make a purchase - you'll get a feel for what a good example looks like.

Good luck and post some pictures when you buy one.

Bill

Hi Nev - I recently bought a 2013 SL350 and I absolutely love it! from what I understand they are pretty much bullet proof but do carefully check the service history - they should have one every year even if the mileage is low. Also understand that you'll be buying an 8 year old car so even a pristine looking example will most likely need some work doing - mine for example, needed a new main battery and auxiliary battery, it'll also need the front trail arms replacing in the next year. Check if and when the discs, pads and tyres were replaced and adjust your offer accordingly if they need replacing soon.

I would also think about what options you'd like to have, the base car is well specced but there were quite a few options to choose from. From my perspective the important ones are:
Airscarf
Electric wind deflector
Reversing camera
Electric boot opening operation (Mine didn't have this one and I wish it did).
Dark Wood Trim
Nappa Leather

Nice to have:
ABC suspension (rare)
Driving assistance package
Harman Kardon sound system
Ambient lighting package (I think it looks really good but not everyone will agree)

A bit gimmicky:
Magic sky control
analogue clock

I would suggest you look at a few before you make a purchase - you'll get a feel for what a good example looks like.

Good luck and post some pictures when you buy one.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Much appreciate the fast response.

I'm liking the white with red interior and have just realised there was an SL400 shortly after the SL350 any benefits on going for this one apart from the obvious extra power?

Cheers

Nev

My car has the red interior and it looks great with the dark ash trim and silver/grey body work.

I test drove an SL400 and it was undoubtedly quicker but, and this is just a personal preference, I preferred the responsiveness and sound of the n.a. engine. It's plenty quick enough for most people and will probably prove to be more reliable in the long term. I suggest you test drive both and see which one appeals - although the SL400 will cost a bit more to buy and run.

Great reviews much appreciated.

My car has the red interior and it looks great with the dark ash trim and silver/grey body work.

I test drove an SL400 and it was undoubtedly quicker but, and this is just a personal preference, I preferred the responsiveness and sound of the n.a. engine. It's plenty quick enough for most people and will probably prove to be more reliable in the long term. I suggest you test drive both and see which one appeals - although the SL400 will cost a bit more to buy and run.
Bill,

Do you have a pic of your car showing both interior and exterior together by any chance?

Well, you have to move quick, I missed two but managed to get myself a nice 2015 SL400 AMG SPORT in white with Red Interior 22,000 miles.

And a decent list of extras!
  • Remote Boot Closing
  • Telephone Pre-Wiring with Hands-Free Facility
  • TV Tuner - Digital Reception Capabilities
  • Reversing Camera
  • Airscarf - Neck Level Heating
  • Metallic Paint - Diamond White
  • Trim - Black Ash Wood
  • Active Body Control (ABC) - Active Suspension
  • Upholstery - Nappa Leather

• 708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg

Attachments

• 5f267896b1044ebe8e846be10a92e5ed (1).jpg
    5f267896b1044ebe8e846be10a92e5ed (1).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 326239eb94214d95a74c70fa42648298.jpg
    326239eb94214d95a74c70fa42648298.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
lovely 😍

very rare to have ABC 😘

nappa leather is also fantastic as is the bi turbo V6 👏

I think you will love it

mine is the reverse of yours, white inside, red outside

Picking it up on Saturday. I can't figure out if it has the electric wind break.
Anyone know if this is standard on a 2015 SL400 or not?
Option

the pics you posted of the white car does not have electric wind deflector

pic of mine with electric wind deflector

67F6FD33-5843-4239-B297-9A2495FD4538.jpeg

Got the motor yesterday, just going over it gradually making it my own.
However, I have found something I have no idea what it is.
It's under the bonnet towards the back of the engine compartment and has two settings on it, anyone any idea what it is?

Attachments

• 20210502_171455.jpg
    20210502_171455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210502_171448.jpg
    20210502_171448.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Got the motor yesterday, just going over it gradually making it my own.
However, I have found something I have no idea what it is.
It's under the bonnet towards the back of the engine compartment and has two settings on it, anyone any idea what it is?
It's the positive battery terminal, you press down and twist to expose the metal post.. Very nice SL by the way, I wish I had the black ash trim on mine!

It's the positive battery terminal, you press down and twist to expose the metal post.. Very nice SL by the way, I wish I had the black ash trim on mine!
Cheers
Any ideas why it has the numbers on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom