Advice on (R231) SL350 Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheers
Any ideas why it has the numbers on it?
First twist it (no 1) then push it down (no 2).
And just in front of it is tyne negative post, which doesn't have any plastic covering.

Hi Nev - I recently bought a 2013 SL350 and I absolutely love it! from what I understand they are pretty much bullet proof but do carefully check the service history - they should have one every year even if the mileage is low. Also understand that you'll be buying an 8 year old car so even a pristine looking example will most likely need some work doing - mine for example, needed a new main battery and auxiliary battery, it'll also need the front trail arms replacing in the next year. Check if and when the discs, pads and tyres were replaced and adjust your offer accordingly if they need replacing soon.

I would also think about what options you'd like to have, the base car is well specced but there were quite a few options to choose from. From my perspective the important ones are:
Airscarf
Electric wind deflector
Reversing camera
Electric boot opening operation (Mine didn't have this one and I wish it did).
Dark Wood Trim
Nappa Leather

Nice to have:
ABC suspension (rare)
Driving assistance package
Harman Kardon sound system
Ambient lighting package (I think it looks really good but not everyone will agree)

A bit gimmicky:
Magic sky control
analogue clock

I would suggest you look at a few before you make a purchase - you'll get a feel for what a good example looks like.

Good luck and post some pictures when you buy one.

Bill
Funny how people differ.

Where I differ.....
1) Electric boot - pointless
2) Don't like wood trim reminds me of my parents MBs in the 60s. Nappa leather.... Not sure
3) ABC & driver assistance - must have
4) HK sound - pointless (60+ ears ..... and driving a convertible). I have ambient lighting not sure & agree gimmicky. I set the colour when I got the car and have never changed it. However it was really cheap so ticked the box.
5) Magic sky control - I'd never have used it. I slid the sunshade back on the day I go the car and have never touched it again.
6) Analogue clock - must have. I never had one in my SLK and missed having one. I was just saying to my wife yesterday that I'm still happy that I specified the clock.

I have Active MultiContour Seats. They are fantastic & would recommend them.

IMG_0103.jpeg

It would appear my maps on the sat nav are the original 2015 version and I was driving over the fields when I should have been on the A14 on the way home with the car.
Bearing in mind the car is going to be used for touring in the UK and Europe I think I need to have them updated.
Any suggestions on the best (cheapest) way please?

It would appear my maps on the sat nav are the original 2015 version and I was driving over the fields when I should have been on the A14 on the way home with the car.
Bearing in mind the car is going to be used for touring in the UK and Europe I think I need to have them updated.
Option 1 would be comandonliine, their contact team are very responsive, they'll find which version you need and get you sorted.

For similar money though, with a bit of DIY, you can install Android Auto / Apple CarPlay which will be up to date forever. Not done this yet but am considering it myself

Main dealer for map updates, mine cost less than £100.........

Option 1 would be comandonliine, their contact team are very responsive, they'll find which version you need and get you sorted.

For similar money though, with a bit of DIY, you can install Android Auto / Apple CarPlay which will be up to date forever. Not done this yet but am considering it myself
Cheers Steve, have messed with one of those Chinese things before in my Z4, not very successfully I may add.
Think I will go down the Merc update route.
👍

You probably have the same version of Command and satnav as I do. If so, the map updates are done by downloading from Germany via Star onto a high capacity USB stick and then uploaded into the car. The first step can take up hours of time on the dealership's Star diagnostics machine and they hate it and try to charge much too much or refuse to do it. I took mine to and Indie and they did it for £150 which is not much more than they had to pay MB for the unique PIN number which becomes the property of the owner, in case a reload might be necessary. The download took 4 hours and the upload 1.5 hours. I think the current map version is V 19 issued late last year.

You probably have the same version of Command and satnav as I do. If so, the map updates are done by downloading from Germany via Star onto a high capacity USB stick and then uploaded into the car. The first step can take up hours of time on the dealership's Star diagnostics machine and they hate it and try to charge much too much or refuse to do it. I took mine to and Indie and they did it for £150 which is not much more than they had to pay MB for the unique PIN number which becomes the property of the owner, in case a reload might be necessary. The download took 4 hours and the upload 1.5 hours. I think the current map version is V 19 issued late last year.
Cheers
Have just placed an order for download and pin from www.satnavishop.co.uk

£99.99.
Looks fine to me.
Nev

Cheers Steve, have messed with one of those Chinese things before in my Z4, not very successfully I may add.
Think I will go down the Merc update route.
👍
.....Or just use the existing maps to get you close and Waze for the last mile. I had a 2008 TomTom that I used until 2017 (hired cars, 5 weeks on the PCH in the USA, New Zealand, Iceland etc etc) and we were fine on the older maps. Although, I come from a generation that knows how to use paper road maps and am used to finding my way without an eletronic device. YMMV.

.....Or just use the existing maps to get you close and Waze for the last mile. I had a 2008 TomTom that I used until 2017 (hired cars, 5 weeks on the PCH in the USA, New Zealand, Iceland etc etc) and we were fine on the older maps. Although, I come from a generation that knows how to use paper road maps and am used to finding my way without an eletronic device. YMMV.
Lol
At 63 I think I'm probably from the same generation, but why mess about them for £99 you can have updated maps.
It's also illegal to look at paper maps whilst driving. 😁

Reactions: AW8
Lol
At 63 I think I'm probably from the same generation, but why mess about them for £99 you can have updated maps.
Word of warning, not sure how up to date the maps will be. Check the version date, any changes from then will already have made the maps out of date

Lol
MB quoted me a lot more to do the next (paid) update & I have a co-pilot / navigator to look at paper maps.....

Word of warning, not sure how up to date the maps will be. Check the version date, any changes from then will already have made the maps out of date
The current maps on the car are 2015, the one I'm downloading is , October 2019, so much more up to date. Trouble is even if it was 2021, they become out of date somewhere almost immediately, it's all a compromise.

On very rare occasions before driving a new & complex route I might 1st look at paper maps.

Decent SATNAV so useful when re-routing to avoid congestion & arrival delays.

I wish I could cost effectively upgrade my 2011 MB (Audio 50) NAV to work better or near as well as Waze does, (when navigation needed).

I seldom carry anyone I would trust to read a paper map properly. Even the best can't re-route from motorway gridlock/queues if unseen, (or unknown of), before last suitable re-route junction exit passed.

Of course, if a bad road incident has just happened immediately ahead, then drivers might still end up delayed....regardless of any chosen navigation method.

Last edited:
For £99 I'd have my dealer do it, saves any possible problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom