Advice on (R231) SL350 Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So far so good, I set it downloading onto an SD card last night it had done it successfully this morning; Tonight I shall try to install in the car.
Watch this space :cool:
All done, it works very well if a slow process, well worth doing in my opinion.đź‘Ť

I'm looking to do the 500 myself either late this year or early next, do you know if there is a better time of year to go, or more importantly, not go Rory? We're going Wales touring in mid June with half dozen cobras, other than that nothing else planned although I'll probably head to torquay for the occasional weekend.
I don't really know except to aviod school holidays and winter (mostly closed). I know it can get terribly busy with foreign tourists as well so hopefully this year will have good weather and fewer tourists.

I don't really know except to aviod school holidays and winter (mostly closed). I know it can get terribly busy with foreign tourists as well so hopefully this year will have good weather and fewer tourists.
To be honest I've been told by biker friends to avoid the route completely as its well over subscribed now and has spoilt the overall feel of the area. Which is a shame its a lovely area.

To be honest I've been told by biker friends to avoid the route completely as its well over subscribed now and has spoilt the overall feel of the area. Which is a shame its a lovely area.
Yea too many bikers...... ;) :D

Bikers have been no issue during my trips, you can just let them go! Camper wagons and other drivers who don't understand how the passing places should be used are a bigger problem. You don't need to keep to the classic route, there are a number of variations which are just as much fun to drive. Get a road atlas which shows the scenic routes. Scenic often = fun to drive!

Funny how people differ.

Where I differ.....
1) Electric boot - pointless
2) Don't like wood trim reminds me of my parents MBs in the 60s. Nappa leather.... Not sure
3) ABC & driver assistance - must have
4) HK sound - pointless (60+ ears ..... and driving a convertible). I have ambient lighting not sure & agree gimmicky. I set the colour when I got the car and have never changed it. However it was really cheap so ticked the box.
5) Magic sky control - I'd never have used it. I slid the sunshade back on the day I go the car and have never touched it again.
6) Analogue clock - must have. I never had one in my SLK and missed having one. I was just saying to my wife yesterday that I'm still happy that I specified the clock.

I have Active MultiContour Seats. They are fantastic & would recommend them.

View attachment 112519
I like your ticks Rory. I don't have ABC though - maybe next time if I live long enough!

Bikers have been no issue during my trips, you can just let them go! Camper wagons and other drivers who don't understand how the passing places should be used are a bigger problem. You don't need to keep to the classic route, there are a number of variations which are just as much fun to drive. Get a road atlas which shows the scenic routes. Scenic often = fun to drive!
I know the Highlands quite well, I've ridden the roads for year on a bike as it happens, so I personally don't really need any help avoiding the busy roads but for newbies who just follow the route its no fun apparently.

Well, I received the V5 back today and managed to get hold of the service history.

But I can now tell you the rest of the story now I have the service history.

First of all I bought the car from a van sales company who took it from the directors of one of his customers as payment for vans.
So they knew nothing about the car technically.

I travelled from Durham to Ipswich tho collect the car a few hours travelling in all.

However when I got there, the car wasn't as advertised so I had the option of getting my deposit back or negotiating on the price.
I decided to negotiate on the price which worked and I came away with a fabulous car which in more that happy with.

The list of extra was originally advertised as follows.

• Remote Boot Closing - Not present
  • Telephone Pre-Wiring with Hands-Free Facility
  • TV Tuner - Digital Reception Capabilities
  • Reversing Camera - Not present
  • Airscarf - Neck Level Heating
  • Metallic Paint - Diamond White - Not present
  • Trim - Black Ash Wood
  • Active Body Control (ABC) - Active Suspension - Not present
  • Upholstery - Nappa Leather
However on the flip side I managed to get hold of the service history today, it's been serviced every year by MB irrespective of miles covered.
It's a 2015 and just done less than 21k miles, so I'm very happy with this.

It just goes to show you have to be careful.

So what colour is it? Love to see the pics.

Pics attached

Attachments

• 708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg
    708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 5f267896b1044ebe8e846be10a92e5ed (1).jpg
    5f267896b1044ebe8e846be10a92e5ed (1).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 326239eb94214d95a74c70fa42648298.jpg
    326239eb94214d95a74c70fa42648298.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1820ceddfb564a78bce489d9c6e75641 (1).jpg
    1820ceddfb564a78bce489d9c6e75641 (1).jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 13
The wheels are an option.

looks like you have exclusive nappa .. do you have the same smooth leather on the door tops, dash? Alcantara on the A pillars?

The wheels are an option.

looks like you have exclusive nappa .. do you have the same smooth leather on the door tops, dash? Alcantara on the A pillars?
Thought the wheels were part of the AMG package?

Yes the Nappa is an extra which actually is very nice.

At work at present but from memory yes regarding the question on the door tops etc.

@BoristheBounce

All you need now is a SmartTop. Not cheap but worth every penny. There might be some used units around now.

I fitted one to my R172 SLK350 after I got caught in a cloud burst on my way to work (Brisbane Australia) and had to come to a dead stop before I could start closing the roof.

I fitted one to the SL as soon as it was delivered.

If you are vaguely handy with tools it is an DIY easy job but, a bit rough on the back.

On pre-facelift, you cannot open/close your roof while moving so an added reason to get one but, there are so many other added functions. (ECO mode staying off is one that many people like) but being able to remotely open/close the roof is my favourite (same distance as you can use the fob to unlock/lock the doors).

The page on the link shows some of the features but look in the user manual to see all the advantages.

Oh, and ignore any nay sayers, just sour grapes.

Looks like this is coming as a Christmas pressy from my partner :)

Love my smart top

Lovely car mate đź‘Ť
Isn't that Diamond White?
No its flat polar white Diamond white is the metallic one which is a little more creamy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom