Advice on (R231) SL350 Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@BoristheBounce

All you need now is a SmartTop. Not cheap but worth every penny. There might be some used units around now.

I fitted one to my R172 SLK350 after I got caught in a cloud burst on my way to work (Brisbane Australia) and had to come to a dead stop before I could start closing the roof.

I fitted one to the SL as soon as it was delivered.

If you are vaguely handy with tools it is an DIY easy job but, a bit rough on the back.

On pre-facelift, you cannot open/close your roof while moving so an added reason to get one but, there are so many other added functions. (ECO mode staying off is one that many people like) but being able to remotely open/close the roof is my favourite (same distance as you can use the fob to unlock/lock the doors).

The page on the link shows some of the features but look in the user manual to see all the advantages.

Oh, and ignore any nay sayers, just sour grapes.

The SL's roof is a big, heavy and complex bit of kit. Even if you could open and close while moving, I would only do that if absolutely necessary.

Operating the roof while in motion will put additional stress on the mechanism which may cause issues later on.

The SL's roof is a big, heavy and complex bit of kit. Even if you could open and close while moving, I would only do that if absolutely necessary.

Operating the roof while in motion will put additional stress on the mechanism which may cause issues later on.
Sorry but with the issues you mention, why was it enabled by MB for the 2017 facelift (and is limited to 40km/h). People have been using ST for years - I had one in my SLK for 4 years (daily driver in Brisbane Australia & 100s of open/closes) and no issues. Been using it in my Sl for 4 years. However I mostly use it (while moving) to close the roof as I'm pulling into my garage.

@BoristheBounce

All you need now is a SmartTop. Not cheap but worth every penny. There might be some used units around now.

I fitted one to my R172 SLK350 after I got caught in a cloud burst on my way to work (Brisbane Australia) and had to come to a dead stop before I could start closing the roof.

I fitted one to the SL as soon as it was delivered.

If you are vaguely handy with tools it is an DIY easy job but, a bit rough on the back.

On pre-facelift, you cannot open/close your roof while moving so an added reason to get one but, there are so many other added functions. (ECO mode staying off is one that many people like) but being able to remotely open/close the roof is my favourite (same distance as you can use the fob to unlock/lock the doors).

The page on the link shows some of the features but look in the user manual to see all the advantages.

Oh, and ignore any nay sayers, just sour grapes.

I did look at that unit Rory but once I found out I could actually open and close the roof from outside of the car that's all I need really, and actually all you need to do is stop dead, then start opening/closing the roof and it will continue to close/open as you slowly move off.

BTW where in Gods Country exactly, we are currently having a house built in Finghall, between Leyburn and Bedale?

Cheers

Nev

I did look at that unit Rory but once I found out I could actually open and close the roof from outside of the car that's all I need really, and actually all you need to do is stop dead, then start opening/closing the roof and it will continue to close/open as you slowly move off.

BTW where in Gods Country exactly, we are currently having a house built in Finghall, between Leyburn and Bedale?

Cheers

Nev
Almost certain that you cannot press the button and walk away. You have to hold the (in car) lever or press & hold the fob button until the cycle is complete.

Re: Smart top. It is one of those things that once you've had one you wonder why you didn't get it sooner. It is more than being to open or close while moving. In-fact that is the least useful reason (but it was what motivated me to get one after I got soaked in my SLK because I had to come to a complete standstill before the roof would move). The only time I really use the ability to close on the move is to drive into the garage.

Enjoy the car.

When I retired, I got mine for road trips. We've done trips to Ireland, France, Germany & lots of UK day trips. Had the NC500 booked up when lockdown came. Going to try for Sept/Oct this year to do the NC 500 and also get back to Ireland. My sister lives in Co. Galway on the 'Wild Atlantic Way' so we've done the top half (starting in Belfast and going round the top of Irland to join the WAW. Now want to do the bottom half.

We live in a village near Selby (chav & covid central).

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost certain that you cannot press the button and walk away. You have to hold the (in car) lever or press & hold the fob button until the cycle is complete.

Re: Smart top. It is one of those things that once you've had one you wonder why you didn't get it sooner. It is more than being to open or close while moving. In-fact that is the least useful reason (but it was what motivated me to get one after I got soaked in my SLK because I had to come to a complete standstill before the roof would move). The only time I really use the ability to close on the move is to drive into the garage.

Enjoy the car.

When I retired, I got mine for road trips. We've done trips to Ireland, France, Germany & lots of UK day trips. Had the NC500 booked up when lockdown came. Going to try for Sept/Oct this year to do the NC 500 and also get back to Ireland. My sister lives in Co. Galway on the 'Wild Atlantic Way' so we've done the top half (starting in Belfast and going round the top of Irland to join the WAW. Now want to do the bottom half.

We live in a village near Selby (chav & covid central).
"Almost certain that you cannot press the button and walk away. You have to hold the (in car) lever or press & hold the fob button until the cycle is complete."

Correct; I meant you can stand by the car and open/close it, the one button/press operation is definitely a bonus in that case!

We have three trips booked this year already, (May/June) we have a sea plane flight on Loch Lomond so a long weekend there, a long weekend in Mid Wales with friends and a week in a cottage on Lochcarron in the highlands.

I've done lots of trips in Europe on my bike in the past a few years ago so intend to do them in comfort in my older years :cool:

many thanks for the Info.

Do let us all know how well it installs etc. so that it's worth looking at by others.
So far so good, I set it downloading onto an SD card last night it had done it successfully this morning; Tonight I shall try to install in the car.
Watch this space :cool:

"Almost certain that you cannot press the button and walk away. You have to hold the (in car) lever or press & hold the fob button until the cycle is complete."

Correct; I meant you can stand by the car and open/close it, the one button/press operation is definitely a bonus in that case!

We have three trips booked this year already, (May/June) we have a sea plane flight on Loch Lomond so a long weekend there, a long weekend in Mid Wales with friends and a week in a cottage on Lochcarron in the highlands.

I've done lots of trips in Europe on my bike in the past a few years ago so intend to do them in comfort in my older years :cool:

many thanks for the Info.
Enjoy.

I always end up doing any sightseeing flights (helicopters, seaplanes etc) on my own. My wife is terrified of flying. Only plus is that it saves me her ticket price but I usually lose that much or more when she hits the SPA.

I went the same route on the map update but opted to receive on SD card and it has loaded today without a problem (licence key works etc.). v19 is the latest update for the NTG 4.7 so fully up to date. I have also managed to download the speed camera database from SCDB.info and have set it up so that they show on the comand navi maps - you get the cameras on opposite lanes and obviously it will not help with mobile cameras but it all helps (and only €9.95 for a year).

I do agree with Rory on the smarttop - just makes it a little bit better (main advantages, auto disengagement of start/stop, setting the easy access to be much easier (seat moves to memory 1 when you switch off and memory 2 when you start), and the ability to open the roof from inside the house so that you just hop in and drive on a lovely day). None of it is essential - just nice.....

Driving up to the Highlands and Skye next week - just hope we have some nice weather to enjoy too......
Do you mean w/b May 17 when hotels etc will be open properly? Are you doing the NC500 or only parts of it? Either way it should be great if the weather is half decent.

Scottish hotels are already open (from April 26th) - it is only England which are not until the 17th May I think. Just means that we will have to do the journey up in one day (but we would anyway) to maximise our time up there, but unfortunately we will not have time for the NC500 so will have to leave that for next time. Will be hard finding enough super unleaded around Fort William to get us to Skye and back (90 miles via Mallaig and the ferry and 110 back via Kyle of Lochalsh)....

Driving up to the Highlands and Skye next week - just hope we have some nice weather to enjoy too......
#Envious. Need to start re-booking the NC 500 trip I cancelled last year.

Scottish hotels are already open (from April 26th) - it is only England which are not until the 17th May I think. Just means that we will have to do the journey up in one day (but we would anyway) to maximise our time up there, but unfortunately we will not have time for the NC500 so will have to leave that for next time. Will be hard finding enough super unleaded around Fort William to get us to Skye and back (90 miles via Mallaig and the ferry and 110 back via Kyle of Lochalsh)....
You'll be able to eat inside but have a beer or glass of wine outside, unless you take a car bar for a G 'n' T in your room! Have a great trip!

I'm looking to do the 500 myself either late this year or early next, do you know if there is a better time of year to go, or more importantly, not go Rory? We're going Wales touring in mid June with half dozen cobras, other than that nothing else planned although I'll probably head to torquay for the occasional weekend.

I've booked ours for June, before Scottish and other school holidays start. We cancelled twice last year but should be OK. The biggest risk is the weather! We've done two variations of it but this time including a couple of nights on Orkney

I think avoiding the summer holidays is the key - for me it is also about avoiding midges as they absolutely love me - awful! Normally OK up to June and from September is ideal, but from choice May and Oct/Nov - the latter might lead to some good snowy peaks to look majestic but not much likelihood of anything too serious on the roads in the days

You'll be able to eat inside but have a beer or glass of wine outside, unless you take a car bar for a G 'n' T in your room! Have a great trip!
That is a problem, but I have accepted that I may need to sneak away from the dinner table like a smoker to have a wee snifter outside in between courses. Will definitely take a few bottles for the room too.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom