Advice on radiator Brand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haggis0073

Car
E220 W212 2013
hi all, just after some advice, i have just bought a lovely 2003 CLK 320 Convertible registered Sept 2003 (a209?), I took some pics of radiator labels to confirm if i have a valeo rad or not, unfortunately i cannot tell, the label says "Temic", is that even a make. pics are below :) I have heard of scary stories so if not already too late i will want to change the rad as engine has done 100,000 miles

Attachments

• rad1.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 19
  • rad2.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 17
If it’s been ok 16 years chances are it’ll be fine. Not ‘all’ of them failed.

Up to you though, obviously. :)

Well change the rad and the ATF oil do you use a local indy for the work,just looked at your photos nice car .

Temic used to be an electronic subsidiary of Mercedes at one point but was sold to Continental in the early 2000's Lokoking at label one it cites an electrical rating so may refer to the cooling fan rather than the radiator? using part no A2035000293 brings up apic of an electric fan
81h5oSb0SSL._SL1500_.jpg

Temic used to be an electronic subsidiary of Mercedes at one point but was sold to Continental in the early 2000's Lokoking at label one it cites an electrical rating so may refer to the cooling fan rather than the radiator? using part no A2035000293 brings up apic of an electric fan
81h5oSb0SSL._SL1500_.jpg
ahhh so not the rad then lol, well if my fan goes least i have the part number now ;)

Well change the rad and the ATF oil do you use a local indy for the work,just looked at your photos nice car .
thanks, i am loving it at the moment, got a feeling the wife loves it more as she seems to be driving more than me :( Yea i am possibly going to do a ATF change and will inquire how much more for the rad to be included. Had a look online and there seem to be 2 indys near me so will give them a ring to get costs.

A curious thought, Do you think doing a "potential" 1st time ATF change (100k miles) could actually do more harm than good, as i did the wifes mondeo (112k miles) for its 1st time and that made gear changes more jerky than it was before

thanks, i am loving it at the moment, got a feeling the wife loves it more as she seems to be driving more than me :( Yea i am possibly going to do a ATF change and will inquire how much more for the rad to be included. Had a look online and there seem to be 2 indys near me so will give them a ring to get costs.

A curious thought, Do you think doing a "potential" 1st time ATF change (100k miles) could actually do more harm than good, as i did the wifes mondeo (112k miles) for its 1st time and that made gear changes more jerky than it was before
No, if its not been changed before, it'll transform the changes.
You will also need to 'reset' the transmission to factory settings. There are plenty of YouTube vids on this subject ;)

Changing the ATF at 100k if it has not been done before is a good plan. If you look at the cap on the dip stick tube there should be a locking tab on it. I think the factory one is red, if yours is still red the ATF will not have been changed. If the fluid is nice and pink it would suggest that the internals of the box are good and with little wear on the clutch plates. If it is dark brown and stinks, you may be heading for problems. From personal experience these boxes are good for 400k plus if looked after. The TC usually throws it's hand in before the box gives up.

cheers guys, just had a look on youtube and seems easy enough, will get a dipstick off ebay, will also check the cap in morning. If being done at a indy garage then they should do the reset, but will mention to them just incase :)

Even before you have the atf changed you'll be amazed at what the reset will do. Try it yourself. I do ours every month or so.

Even before you have the atf changed you'll be amazed at what the reset will do. Try it yourself. I do ours every month or so.
I could not wait till morning hahaha. I must say Edd it's like night and day, before in comfort mode it felt very sluggish and I thought that was how the car just drove, but after reset the engine felt so much more free. Big thumbs up :)

How do you do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom