Advice on selling a car please!

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by LeighW, Sep 17, 2008.

1. LeighW

LeighW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
    I've just bought my girlfriend a new car (Mitsubishi Colt), so need to sell her Fiesta. Firstly, I'm undecided as to where is best to advertise it. I last sold a car through autotrader, and had plenty of timewasters and canvassers call, despite putting 'no canvassers' in the ad. Is selling via ebay a better option? If so, is it best to go for a classified ad, auction with reserve, or should I bite the bullet and just auction it with no reserve ( :eek: )?

The car is an '02 plate Fiesta Fun 1.3 (last of the old shape). Good points are: 39k genuine miles, very nice condition, 3 owners. Bad points: Little service history. The previous owner was my girlfriend's grandmother, and before that, her grandfather's company. He took the car out of the business before he sold up and retired, but for whatever reason, didn't keep any of the service receipts which would have been in his company's records. So, although I know that the mileage is genuine, and the car has been serviced regularly, I obviously have no proof. The service book is pretty empty too. :rolleyes: Oh, the other bad point, it's white.

So, after all this; pricing. Freecarvaluations.co.uk says retail £2250, trade in £1275. Whatcar says retail £2555, private £2180, part ex £315 (typo, methinks!). Bearing in mind I would like it gone asap, and would like the money in my account before I have to pay Capitalone for the new car (approx 5 weeks), some sterling advice would be much appreciated. Fastest, most painless way of selling without giving it away please. :D

2. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Selling cars right now is difficult. However your girlfriends car is one of a minority that might not prove impossible to shift.
    I would try ebay first. Prepare the ad very carefully. Include plenty of info and photos so as to avoid any ambiguity. Be honest and realistic in setting a minimum price. A very good selling aspect is a 12 month MOT, so if thats possible, then get that done. Its a big plus point.
    It actually sounds quite a good buy.
    Good luck.

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    For a car like that i would think Autotrader or a classified in the local Rag would work, it's a volume car of the type in demand at the moment.

Even a card in the supermarket migh reveal a buyer.

4. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    I sold my 205GTI with a link from Visordown.com to another bike site (where it was actually advertised), there is a page for odds and sods with a load of car ads on there. You could stick an ad on here and sprinkle a few links about other forums (if thats ok with mods).

Ade

5. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    We have no real issue with people listing privately owned (non-MB) cars in the classifieds section. Every so often someone asks about a cheap runabout anyway so there is a small chance it could go to another forum member.

6. OP
    OP
    LeighW

Car:
    '06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
    Ah, thanks for that, will do. :)

7. ET4

ET4 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S203 C200K Avantgarde SE
    I wouldn't sell the car on ebay unless ur desparate to sell it.. I've sold a VW Polo deisel and a Fiat diesel in the past and had nothing but trouble.

On both occasions the cars went for more than I was expecting and then came the 'My mate used this account to buy the car would you take £50 for it?' causing more of my time to relist and offer it to the others who bid.

Auto trader is a good bet but I wouldn't go off valuations to sell it. You will be up against other cars that could be less than yours or quite a bit more.. so do some research first.

The Fiesta is a great first car for new drivers and the demand is high due to the cheap running and insurance costs. I'd target this part of the market and word the advert carefully... As for the lack of service history, I'd simply put 'history' in the ad then explain when the calls come in.

Cheers

8. kth286

kth286 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Coupe
    Leigh

So, how much would you let it go for ?

9. OP
    OP
    LeighW

Car:
    Hi
    I've put it in the classifieds for sale on here at £1650, also a classified ad on ebay at the same price. It's got to be worth that I would think? :confused:

I had my friendly mobile mechanic check it over yesterday as the rear brakes were squeaking a bit when cold. He stripped them down, drums and shoes are fine, just needed a clean up. The handbrake was adjusted at the same time, and it's driving lovely now.

It's now tucked away in my in-laws' garage under a dust sheet, waiting for a buyer. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  10. OP
    OP
    LeighW

Car:
    Hehe, I got chatting to one of my neighbours, mentioned I was selling the car, and he's bought it for his wife! I spent ages drafting an advert and uploading pics etc onto ebay, and I've sold it to someone two doors away! What are the odds of that? :rolleyes: :D

11. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    They'll know where to come and throw the bricks through the window when it breaks down ;)

12. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Good result Leigh, nice and easy.

At that level of car and price I think selling locally is very common.

13. OP
    OP
    LeighW

Car:
    Hehe, thanks for that mate. :p I must admit, I'd already thought that myself...

14. gina2201

gina2201 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
    Lol, similar thing happened to me, I was at Morrisons just browsing the mags as you do, and a guy came up and picked up Autotrader, I said "Ive got a nice little VW Polo for sale" he took my number, came round the next day and bought it!:D