Advice on selling a new E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davycaslad

Car
C 320 cdi sport
Hi all

I have been trying to sell me 2009 e350cdi avantgard for over 2 months .

Can anyone tell me why no one wants it ?

It's not stupid price
Good spec
Low miles
Cared for car
Genuine reason for sale

Seems so strange that no one has even contacted me it's on eBay , auto trader and merc buyers website .....

Any ideas ?

If I was to buy a car for circa £25-30k, I would be buying from a dealer/trader.

The potential pit falls in spending that money in a private deal could be seen to be too great, hence not much interest I'm afraid.

If I was to buy a car for circa £25-30k, I would be buying from a dealer/trader.

The potential pit falls in spending that money in a private deal could be seen to be too great, hence not much interest I'm afraid.

I know what you mean BUT there are thousands of buyers out there who want to save the £5k or whatever and will buy it - my Jag XFR went within 3 weeks prior to that CLS55, DB9, Maserati all sold privately for good money.

IF OP`s price is not SIGNIFICANTLY lower than dealer then it wont sell.

You could try asking your local dealer to sell it for you. I have done that in the past, I suppose they still offer this service, if they do, they can give all the warranties and other benefits of buying from a dealer and you may still get your price for it.

I know what you mean BUT there are thousands of buyers out there who want to save the £5k or whatever and will buy it - my Jag XFR went within 3 weeks prior to that CLS55, DB9, Maserati all sold privately for good money.

I struggle to believe there are THOUSANDS of people lining up to buy a car at £25-30k.

How much was yours sold for as opposed to what a dealer would have asked?

I meant thousands across all brands all types not just MB E class, My Jag was a 2010 and went for a dealer 2009 price about £2500 less than a dealer would charge for similar BUT it was exceptionally low miles (good) and sadly poor timing as the new facelift was announced (bad) and 5.0 SC metal is hard to shift at the moment. An E350CDi should fly at 10 / 15% less than dealer

I think it is a personal choice as to whether you would buy a car privately at that level.

I personally wouldn't but I can understand why others would if there were significant savings to be made - as said.

I suppose some might need to trade in their car so be able to do it - which I doubt you will want to do.

I think the way things are at the moment, things are a little slow.

I've never really had problems selling cars prior to the recession (of varying price levels with some in the 5 figures) but my most recent sale of a relatively cheap car (£2k) took a while and I had to drop the figure to £500 above the trade value to get shot of it in the end.

I'm not patient either but I think you either have to be or take a hit on price / sell it to the trade.

I meant thousands across all brands all types not just MB E class, My Jag was a 2010 and went for a dealer 2009 price about £2500 less than a dealer would charge for similar BUT it was exceptionally low miles (good) and sadly poor timing as the new facelift was announced (bad) and 5.0 SC metal is hard to shift at the moment. An E350CDi should fly at 10 / 15% less than dealer

So you have sold a newer car for £2500 less than an older car at a dealers.
I agree with your principal, but I would struggle to spend that sort of money privately and I would say I'm pretty savvy with regards scams etc.

But like JohnEBoy says, it's down to personal preference.

Davycaslad,
How much difference is there between your part ex price and your sale price?

It's about 2k different between trade and what I want and what I want is 2500 to 3500 less than dealer .

It's in the classified on this club .

Process is
Webuyanycar price (then stop laughing) however they have bid well on Annas Nitro and may well get it in a week or so.
Trade in price (if applicable)
Sell to dealer price if they want it

Once you have a price thats underwritten that is as much as you will get for it however much it hurts, you then ebay / trader it for a bit more and cross ones fingers.

It's about 2k different between trade and what I want and what I want is 2500 to 3500 less than dealer .

It's in the classified on this club .

Unfortunately your asking price is above the best book price for a private sale.

Know a few people who have had decent offers using www.dealerbid.co.uk

You dont mention on your advert it is under warranty till end of October 2012. Also you seem to have used pictures of the car from when you picked it up at the dealers. Take current ones and larger image size.

Edit: Seems from your ebay listing your a car dealer yourself? Your offering part ex and finance.

Last edited:
just looked at ebay ad. Nothing really sets it out from the many others.Too much waffle

Take off all the standard equip and list only the options as it is confusing to what options are extras.
Anyone interested in spending that money would already have indepth knowledge of standard equipment fitted to that model.

Post better and more pictures.

Important : Warranty, are you offering any ie the balance? If so, this should really be in the title as this would be the biggest plus. Is it a private or business sale ??

Have you tried Autotrader & PistonHeads? Cars generally are slow to sell at moment, those that can afford to spend in current times are more likely to buy new, so check your price, gut feeling it seems a tad overpriced to me

Last edited:
Edit: Seems from your ebay listing your a car dealer yourself? Your offering part ex and finance.

And the car is described as being "in stock".

And they aren't pictures from when the car was collected new, they're taken outside a used car sales place.

Tell us we're not being kidded here?

Hmm, given this is advertised as a 'Trade Seller' on Autotrader, are you in fact a private individual or really a trade seller trying a spot of fishing on a forum acting as a private individual?

I thought it was illegal to pretend to be a private seller when you are trade?

MERCEDES-BENZ E350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Avantgarde Tip £27,985 2009 (59 reg), Saloon Trade seller, distance: 186 miles

Do you struggle to sell Porsches as well? :rolleyes:

No it is on a friends forecourt to try and help me out and to offer finance and part exchange if anybody wanted those facilities , not that I am a trader I am an accountant and trader is a client

No it is on a friends forecourt to try and help me out and to offer finance and part exchange if anybody wanted those facilities , not that I am a trader I am an accountant and trader is a client

Perhaps it's trade location and facilities are making people a bit suspicious (as has come out on here).

+1^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom