Advice on selling a new E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get better pics, you cannot really see inside.

I also think it's slightly over priced.

(rationale - I paid less for a better spec'd 59 plate CLS 350 CDI from a main dealer, with only 3000 miles plus two free services)

.and me. Once I saw anomolies in the ad (even the mileage is at different values) I'd just stop reading.

When you're buying anything you don't want to see inconsistencies in the information provided.

I guess from what your all saying it's too expensive and I should just let the trader sell it ?

What we are saying is that your advert on Ebay just sounds like a trade advert.

I have to say though, it's a very very tough market. I am really really struggling to sell my q7, even though I am completely realistic on price. For the first time ever I am wishing I HAD part-ex'd a car.

.and me. Once I saw anomolies in the ad (even the mileage is at different values) I'd just stop reading.

When you're buying anything you don't want to see inconsistencies in the information provided.

Yes, most people I would venture, like me and others here, would be looking for reasons why not to buy it.

Provide a few of those and hey presto, even less than bugger all interest.

In this market, your adverts have to be in sync and immaculate - as well as spelling out the situation and I would probably add in "This is a private sale, however, I am using the facilities of a friend to sell the car".

The only thing that will change is the mileage but leave it unless it goes up by a significant amount - then change it everywhere.

I've been through this recently and had to keep altering details x 4.

I wished I'd part-ex'd whilst trying to sell my last car but I was £500 up in the end which kind of made up for it a little.

If you do make price changes, do larger amounts less often.

I would consider SOR with your friend as you can utilise his services and people can take advantage of those facilities. Just agree a price up front.

The bulk of people purchasing a high spec Mercedes E class don't actually use their own money. Its done through some sort of business or private leasing or purchase scheme. With the sums involved it simply easier to do this with a new car as a baseline for the finance -despite it costing more in absolute terms. Your car is relatively new and still commands a high price in cash purchase terms but is no longer a saleable proposition for that type of buyer. This has marked reduced your potential customers. To increase your potential buyer numbers again the car will have to drop in price. You would then tap into a different buyer "demographic" At the moment I would venture you're in a sort of "no-man's land"

Ok now I have cancelled eBay advert

Thanks all of you for your help with this , not sure now if to get the car back as the Market is crap or give it another month at the garage ...

Only you can really decide that.

If you do take it off, you could do some new pictures of it and start it up again a bit later on (say a fortnight or a month). It would then 'appear' to be a different car.

Both when I sold my last car and bought the current car, I started to remember cars from the pictures and could see what was shifting and what wasn't.

As someone said to me when selling my last car - it's a psychological game as well as a financial one.

Last edited:
Perhaps so it doesn't appear stale, photograph it at one location and if re advertising use a fresh set of shots, perhaps a walkround video including a test run on YouTube, think imaginatively.

I have registered car on dealerbid .com see how that goes for a while

Looks much better now.

I'd still do some more pictures of it personally - perhaps with better lighting.

If I was in the market for one, I'd happily consider it now.

How have you gone on with the sale Davycaslad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom