advice on selling my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ArubaDerek

Car
320 CLK 2005 model
folks,
i am new to selling a car privately (hard times in this pandemic) , need to shift my 05 plate CLK- where and what should I be doing to ensure I get it sold and don't get ripped off - all advice welcomed thanks

Lots of well taken, thought out pics, after giving the vehicle a thorough clean and polish.
Good write up giving details of service history and specifications. Check prices of similar vehicles on eBay and then competitively list it on any of the big selling sites.

If you go on Autotrader, click sell, enter your vehicle details and it will give you a suggested selling price.

Well clean it take decent photos ,if it has a decent service history and a long MOT it should sell because they are not expensive cars,the rag tops go for about £800 more than the coupes.

Use autotrader to get a reasonable valuation vs mileage & condition.
As stated above - decent photos are a must. Try and find a decent backdrop, give it a good clean and photograph in decent sun with sun behind you.
Accompany every buyer, check for insurance and don't release until funds are cleared in your account. Bank transfer is easy these days. Draw up simple contract your name/their name car details, description and price (sold as seen).

Auto trader will not value anything >15yrs old :(
You could try Parkers free valuation. I haven't used it for a long time but it used to give a price for buying, selling privately or buying from a dealer.
I've only sold three cars privately as I usually part exchange them but when I used ebay, a lad was really getting on my nerves asking, what seemed to me to be silly questions and I thought that he was a time waster. He was doing my head in. I put it on Autotrader thinking that I would get less timewasters and the same chap got in touch on there and came to my house and bought it. He didn't have insurance as he wasn't driving at the time so I took him for a run in it (it was an SLK) and he bought it when we got back for cash. The other one was a Triumph Spitfire that had been fully restored and the chap bought it as soon as he saw it, without it moving off of my drive and the other one was an Hyundai i30 (a stop gap for the ex husband waiting for his next company car) and I think I put it up for around £10k. Two chaps from Bradford came, saw it, didn't want to test drive it and got £10k cash out. Didn't even try to get me down in price.
All 3 sales were cash

Last edited:
I’m not long enough on the forum I am afraid - need to post 30 times before I am allowed to advertise anything for sale - I also have my old private plate too T555CLK which needs a new home :)
You could do 20 posts by tonight buddy

You could do 20 posts by tonight buddy
Only if pertinent as answers etc to other posts, not just posting for the sake of getting the numbers. Admin will know and they may then remove what are seen as frivolous posts.

Only if pertinent as answers etc to other posts, not just posting for the sake of getting the numbers. Admin will know and they may then remove what are seen as frivolous posts.
Let’s hope Admin don’t audit my posts buddy :rolleyes:

Prices on eBay = Realistic.
Prices on Autotrader = Speculative.
No point whatsoever overpricing it, potential buyers will just move on.
(Unless it’s mega rare). 😎

folks,
i am new to selling a car privately (hard times in this pandemic) , need to shift my 05 plate CLK- where and what should I be doing to ensure I get it sold and don't get ripped off - all advice welcomed thanks
Hi really sorry you have to sell your car , remember UK cheques can take ages to clear.

Most banks allow you to draw the money after 4 days after payment in but that is not cleared funds. Can take up to 10 days for cleared funds.Dont take my word for it but ask any bank " guaranteed cleared funds"

Don't allow to be team mobbed when a customer appears , I mean many people arriving and ripping you car apart.

A trader friend of mine tells any customer to bring the cash / no cash no drive / if they smash the car up you have the cash.If they are genuine not a problem for them.

Would you buy your own car : with an 06 car I would not expect perfection ( not being rude ) unless a Ferrari !

Ask a few mates to look over the car for an opinion.

Look for the weak points on the car and sort out if possible./ don't spend to much money on it.

Do a pre mot ( not the real one ) to see any major issues unless a long ticker on it.

Highlight new parts etc , service records ,mots etc

Clean it

What are the tyres like / go and look at a few pre owned car sites to see general conditions of car of that age.

Be realistic with your price unless in showroom condition.

How does it drive

Remember to state sold as seen on receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom