advice on selling my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP , how many miles on the car ?
It’s got 92500 on the odometer &8800 before next service - garaged nearly all its life so roof is spotless
Fixed the rocker Gasket leaks thanks to other post advice
Drives sweat - went to my sons ( in my bubble) 220 mile round trip and it’s clocking 33mpg average
So guess I can complain

Prices on eBay = Realistic.
Prices on Autotrader = Speculative.
No point whatsoever overpricing it, potential buyers will just move on.
(Unless it’s mega rare). 😎
Also - costs way more to advertise in Autotrader than on eBay and I'm sure ads get looked at more frequently on eBay

The last two cars I sold privately (values 20k and 6k) were advertised on both but the buyers came via eBay.

All my previous cars, including a 2 year old motorhome for nearly £38,000, have been sold on Ebay.
Do some nice photos away from your house, unless its very posh with a long tree lined drive, show pics of all the service receipts and paper work, list all the work done with mileage and dates.
To cap it off do a short video of the car using a GoPro or HD quality phone, do a walk round and then a drive past. Upload the video to youtube and link it in the ebay description, works very well and I have done this to sell my cars and friends cars.

The first ever one i did is this one, its had 30,000 hits so far.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Best of luck.

Valuing an old car is always hard. There is a massive variation in price between one which has been pampered and still presents like a three year old car vs a 15 year old car that looks every inch it’s age. Process vary accordingly. You don’t mention what engine and spec your CLK is , but to give you some context my 2008 CLK350 Sport Cabriolet would be valued anywhere from around £2,500 to maybe £6,000 depending on condition. If I were trying to sell mine I’d price it around £6k but then I am an OCD owner and know it would stand up to scrutiny as I maintain it like a brand new car. That said, it would take a while to sell as I’d need to find a buyer who appreciated the difference between the low and high priced cars. And a lot just search by price.

In short - be realistic and - if yours is really really good - consider advertising and being prepared to wait, or find a local garage which will take it on a sale or return basis and sell it for a commission.

Theres a garage near me that often advertise pristine late model CLKs like mine for up to £8k and they sell quick. If I were selling now I’d consider asking them to do a sale or return.

Hopefully you get the idea!

Don`t accept £50 notes. or go with them to their bank to draw cash.

Personally I wouldn’t take cash from me Mum (sorry Mum).
Bank transfer these days is the way to go. Using internet banking is simple, quick, and pretty bombproof. 😎

Try advertising on Ebay. I sold a car within 24 hrs !!!

I'd try selling the car on here as it is free - I sold my E55 fairly quickly a few years back and I couldn't face the tyre-kicker / nobs which I presumed it would attract so avoided all the usual sites.

All depends on whether someone is looking for a car like the one you are selling of course.

Make sure it is clean inside and out, take some decent photos and give it an honest appraisal.

Compare against other similar models for sale on Autotrader, eBay and Car and Classic.

I'd also agree with doing the online "faster payment" type transfers as they cannot be reversed and much easier than cash.

You can also check the status of the payment before releasing the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom