Advice on this car please - CLK350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cherrypd

Car
E250 Convertible (A207)
Hi all,

We've been looking at various cars 280s’ etc but then found this 350 which has taken my eye. It’s a 4 owner car with FSH (not main dealer). I’ve rung the dealer who kindly gave us the engine number and it does fall into the V6 balance shaft issue which I’ve learned about on this very forum. The dealer was refreshingly honest and said it’s in quite good nick for a 15 year old car but is not as new, which I’d expect at that age and price. Discs look like they’re about done, but if anyone can offer advice or if you see something I haven’t it would be very much appreciate.

Any evidence (eg receipts) that the advisory items on last year's MoT have been fixed, as they don't appear on last months Mot....

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement forward most bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play forward most arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play rear most arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Inner Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
  • slight play in steering rack to n/s

I suppose because they’re advisories that they may still present?

I would imagine that the tyres have been replaced,but the rest of the advisory items from last years MOT if not done will cost at least £400 to put right,the car does not look bad at all,if the discs and pads need changing again more expence before you even drive it,as always you want it buy it,try and take the asking price down.

I suppose because they’re advisories that they may still present?

exactly...it might have had a recent “friendly” MOT for sale.....not that such things occur you understand...

Yes they do - my SLK came with a brand new MoT, but my indie found a number of things that the MoT should not just have flagged but also at least 1 that should have caused a fail. After my indie's report the trade seller took the car back and fixed loads of what my indie had flagged, at a cost to him of what must have been over £1k. Tracking was so far out every indicator was red, rear discs/pads shot, front shock absorber leaking, rear control arms shot, it was quite a list!

That's a lovely looking car. Sorry I'm new here too so can't offer much help.

If you look through the MOT history and check that the faults such as play in steering rack, brake hose deteriorated, prop shaft coupling etc have all been fixed and all electrics work then this is a lot of car for the money.

Also worth checking the service history / and receipts correlate to the MOT advisories.

That is a lot of car for not much money - very nice with the AMG kit!

First thing I noticied it that it's black - and how many posts are there on here from people with black MB's asking how to get/keep it lovely and shiny! Must be hundreds!

Looks like it is chromite black. It’s pretty much the same spec as my clk but mine has a cream interior. Lovely looking car but i would be worried about the balance shaft issue. Why don’t you seek out a later model where the engine is outside the danger zone. Frankly they don’t cost much more, although the road tax can jump.
If you are happy to risk the engine, the linked car looks lovely. If it is chromite black, it’s actually a very very deep blue black which looks soooo much better than obsidian etc in the sun.

Well after some serious thinking I bottled it and chose not to see it. The biggest factor being the potential engine issue and then the steering rack knock. They’ll be others so will still look.

This one looks great from one of our fellow members...balance shaft issue fixed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom