advice on tyre changers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobeyone

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280 S211
Bought some tyres on ebay - had them fitted by a local garage i have been using years and they have managed to remove the lacquer of the rim.

Didnt check the wheels when i left but looked when i got to work and spotted it.

Not happy, went back today and the guy who owns the place denied it but offered to pay £5 to have them refurbed and was a complete **** with me telling me his machine wouldnt do that etc.

Told him where he can keep his fiver and wont be going back, but question is, what can i do legally :devil:

I am going to get the edges done on them all, any advice on what would be best?

cheers

The prob you will have is that you left the tyre shop before you noticed it.

Legally its not worth you doing anything, just have the lips redone, should cost £25ish.

I had a similar prob, went to a tyre place with 2 new tyres i bought of ebay. They tried to put them on but said as it was a Bridgestone tyre the compound was very hard and they may damage the wheel as it was a 3 pc split rim. The put the tyres in the back on my car and i went to another tyre shop. They took the tyres out of the car and instantly noticed that the wall of the tyre had been ripped!! :eek: Went back to the other place; and to my amazement they accepted full liabilty and changed them for 2 new Mitchellin Y rated tyres instead! So couldn't complain, but if they wanted to be stroppy they could have refused to pay out as it could have been done elsewhere.

Thats what i thought, damn.

Lessons learnt, he even turned round and told me he was doing me a favour putting them on!

Just glad he never scratched them, watch this space over the lips.

Whats this process called btw? i am thinking of getting the lips polished and who would you expect to be able to do this?

Last edited:
mobeyone said:
Whats this process called btw? i am thinking of getting the lips polished and who would you expect to be able to do this?

www.lap-tab.co.uk in Birmingham - just off M6 at spaghetti junction - seem to have a good reputation.

I notice you're in the North West though. An ex-colleague used to get his Scnitzers done every year at a place just outside Liverpool. Let me know if you're interested, as I'll give him a call.

Bobby Dazzler said:
Let me know if you're interested, as I'll give him a call.

that would be excellent!

Could you ask him to qoute me for all 4 please? and i would like them polished instead of the usual finish? one has a kerb but the others are not marked and are all oem 17in amgs.

cheers!

mobeyone said:
that would be excellent!

Could you ask him to qoute me for all 4 please? and i would like them polished instead of the usual finish? one has a kerb but the others are not marked and are all oem 17in amgs.

cheers!

I've just emailed my mate, so as soon as I hear back I'll post any contact info for the refurber he used to use.

mobeyone said:
Bought some tyres on ebay - had them fitted by a local garage i have been using years and they have managed to remove the lacquer of the rim.

Didnt check the wheels when i left but looked when i got to work and spotted it.

Not happy, went back today and the guy who owns the place denied it but offered to pay £5 to have them refurbed and was a complete **** with me telling me his machine wouldnt do that etc.

Told him where he can keep his fiver and wont be going back, but question is, what can i do legally :devil:

I am going to get the edges done on them all, any advice on what would be best?

cheers

Sorry to hear that - tyre fitters are dodgy and its best to find a good one... I dont normally praise Stealers but Hughes of Beaconsfield are the best for changing tyres as they do not mark/damage ur alloys and even undo the nuts manually if requested (and if they did accidentally damage the alloys then they would replace them if claim was to be made...) - they fitted/removed 5 tyres for me/family in total and never marked any of the alloys....

I know its easier said then done but next time tell them that u have thorughy inspected ur alloys and there is no damage (even get them to walk around car with u/get them to sign something agreeing to no damage present prior to work and then carry out inspection straight after...).

Hope u get it sorted... I feel for u....

Bobby Dazzler said:
I've just emailed my mate, so as soon as I hear back I'll post any contact info for the refurber he used to use.

Here you go matey...

Pro-Clean
61-63 Houghton Street
Prescot
Merseyside
L34 2RS
0151 426 1885

My mate hasn't used them for a couple of years since he moved away from Liverpool, but he spoke very highly of them at the time, and as I say he had them done every year to make sure they were always spot on - so they must have been pretty good!! I think his BMW dealer put him on to them to begin with.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on...

Flash said:
Sorry to hear that - tyre fitters are dodgy and its best to find a good one... I dont normally praise Stealers but Hughes of Beaconsfield are the best for changing tyres as they do not mark/damage ur alloys and even undo the nuts manually if requested (and if they did accidentally damage the alloys then they would replace them if claim was to be made...) - they fitted/removed 5 tyres for me/family in total and never marked any of the alloys....

I know its easier said then done but next time tell them that u have thorughy inspected ur alloys and there is no damage (even get them to walk around car with u/get them to sign something agreeing to no damage present prior to work and then carry out inspection straight after...).

Hope u get it sorted... I feel for u....

cheers Flash - one i have to live with now i suppouse. lessons learnt.

Bobby Dazzler said:
Here you go matey...

Pro-Clean
61-63 Houghton Street
Prescot
Merseyside
L34 2RS
0151 426 1885

My mate hasn't used them for a couple of years since he moved away from Liverpool, but he spoke very highly of them at the time, and as I say he had them done every year to make sure they were always spot on - so they must have been pretty good!! I think his BMW dealer put him on to them to begin with.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on...

Top man! WIll give them a shout and see what happens!

Let us know how you get one. I've got a couple of spare wheels that I would like to get refurbed. As I've got family in Liverpool, this outfit could be quite a good find if their work is decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom