Advice on Used 230E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killie77

Car
E270cdi
Hi
Went to look at a 1992 230E saloon today. The Body work was in excellent condition for the Age & Mileage 150000. Had a look around under the engine before starting the Car which has been stored in a Garage for the last couple of weeks. Did the usual checks and found what looked like Oil in the Coolant expansion Tank. I say looked like but I'm not sure was a brownish colour and seemed a bit thicker than normal anti freeze solution.
Anyway their was a bit of OIl around the top of the engine right hand side above the Distributor hard to tell where it was coming from as the Air Filter cover was in the way.
Car started without a problem let it run for about 5 minutes checking the Temp gauge OIl Pressure Gauge showed plenty of pressure.
Had a test drive of a couple of Miles. Drove very well no untoward noises from the Diff or elsewhere. Got back checked the Temp gauge reading around 80.
So I'm wondering was it Oil in the Water ? would It be a safe Buy ?
any suggestions would be most appreciated
Regards
Ian.H

Brownish colour?? Is the car auto? If so is it ATF oil (reddish) leaking into it? Someone knowledgable will be along shortly to give you the heads up

Thanks for the Info
yes it's Auto hope it's nothing serious. Like the look of this Car
Regards
Ian.H

where are you? someone on the forum might be local and offer to look it over with you again?

124's are class motors (but then I would say that would not i)

Hi
I'm in Glasgow had a look at the Car this afternoon
will not get another chance till Monday due to going to London tomorrow.
If it's not a big Job to rectify then I will Buy the Car. just have to get some idea of what it could be causing it.
Thanks again
Ian.h

If its auto transmission fluid it means the heat exchanger pipe inside the radiator has corroded thro. In the medium term this means water in the autobox fluid---NOT a good thing for the autobox! If its oil in the coolant it means the cylinder head gasket is leaking! Its a common fault on these single cam engines. That's anything from £500-£700 to repair properly.The oil under the air cleaner may be coming from the crankcase breather signifying a engine with more than a few miles under its belt. On the basis of what you have said I would be inclined to stay clear unless the price is right!

Thanks
Good to know its nothing serious :mad:
if it's transmission fluid and the Heat exchanger Pipe has gone.
Would a new Pipe /Radiator cure the problem ? would the Gearbox have to be flushed and fluid.
Thanks
Ian.H

Thanks
Good to know its nothing serious :mad:
if it's transmission fluid and the Heat exchanger Pipe has gone.
Would a new Pipe /Radiator cure the problem ? would the Gearbox have to be flushed and fluid.
Thanks
Ian.H

You would need a new radiator and a gearbox fluid+filter change. Its very difficult to know whether any permanent damage has been done to the gearbox. Depends how long the water/fluid problem has been in there. :confused: My money is on the CHG as the more likely cause of the "goo" in the coolant.:(

In the hope that it's the CHG and not the the Heat exchanger
I'm going to buy the Car. I will start by flushing the Coolant and see where it goes from their.
Many thanks for all the Advice.
Regards
Ian.H

I heard that the mayo could be a result of lots of start stop driving and turning the engine off frequently before the engine has reached a normal operating temperature

Ian, I get the feeling that you are buying a heap of problems. New rad and flushing the system may work, but in the long term unlikely. CHG, ok in itself not a big problem, but as Mercedes go, time consuming. Whatever decision you take, I wish you luck and happy motoring. There are knowledgeable folk here who are only a phone call away should you get frustrated (me included). Personally? I would walk away and find one without issues.

Hi
been away for the Weekend. Just wanted to say thanks for all the Replies and advice. Thought about the issues regarding the Car and have decided that for the Price £450. I will take a chance on the Car I don't mind taking the time and I imagine their will be some expense involved. in repairing what ever turns up. I won't be using he Car as day to day transport. Have a Rav4 for that so looking at it more as a Summer project than anything. Will keep in touch as to how I get on. picking the Car up this morning.
Once again thanks to everyone on the Forum
Regards
Ian.H

I heard that the mayo could be a result of lots of start stop driving and turning the engine off frequently before the engine has reached a normal operating temperature

As above! I wouldn't worry to much, flush the engine fill in new oil and maybe that's all that is wrong with it

Wish you luck with it!

On most 1992 230Es you don't have a thing to worry about

They can pop cylinder head gaskets but the indications (losing water, temperature soaring, mayonnaise) are pretty obvious if it's a real problem. Mayo can be just the result of short journeys but it is also one of the obvious CHG failure signs

I'd get the seller to state that there is no sign of CHG failure on the receipt. Although in theory there is no comeback on private sellers, if they don't reveal something when asked a direct question about it they are breaking the law. EG: Has the car been involved in an accident during your ownership? If they say no, and it's recorded as a Cat C, etc, during their ownership, you have comeback

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi
Been out and about since I picked up the car yesterday morning. Done some Motorway and Town journeys probably covered about 160 miles or so.
haven't come accross amy Problems so far. Temp gauge stays around 80.
doesn't rise much pass that even sitting in traffic.Haven't seen any Warning lights come on.
So I'm crossin gmy fingers that waht I saw in the expansion Tank may just have been a build up from the Car not being used for a while or taking short journeys.
Would still like to flush the coolant out and replace.I was wondering if their was a Drain Plug on the engine Block as well as the Rad and if so where might I find it ?
Thanks again
Ian.H

The answer is yes. Its normally located under the exhaust manifold and difficult to get at except from underneath !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom