Advice on used E300 210 I'm going to see

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by philiggy, Oct 18, 2008.

1. philiggy

philiggy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    Hi all
    My good lady has found what appears to be a bargain used car:eek: the details are:

E300 Diesel Avantgarde
    Blue
    99 V reg
    Blue
    FSH (last one at his local BMW garage though)
    Owned by him for 2yrs and his brother before him
    Just T&T
    Rear pass window not working (and cherished plate to be removed)
    £2500

Is it worth me travelling 75 miles to see:confused:

Phil

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    If it isn't a turbo diesel it will be proper sluggish ....

Look VERY closely for rust ..... EVERYWHERE

3. RodgerDodger

RodgerDodger Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    99 - E300 TD - W210
    Hi Phill

Ok, you may need to budget for maintenance items - bushes, brakes/pads etc, but that price IS GOOD for an avanguard spec desiel - as long as the car is mechanically and structurally sound.

Even allowing for depreciation say around 50% over 3 years - relatively your talking low risk.

Oh forgot to mention - i think you need to check for rust also:rolleyes:

Do your checks thouroughly and if its straight - I'll stick my neck out now and say go for it!!

It really is a great car to drive and has a fair turn of foot AND likes veg (apparently);)

Best of luck and hope its a goodun.
    R

4. RodgerDodger

Car:
    99 - E300 TD - W210
    Good point - is it a turbo Phill- E300 DT ? not sure if the still did the non-turbo version upto 99:confused:

It will probably be prefacelift - with the black band along the sill externals.

5. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    a `99 should be a TD but check for a big turbo strapped to the exhaust under the bonnet, should also hear a nice whine when pushed, check for rust as all W210`s come with it, budget a few hundred for a respray on wheel arches and stone chips on the front if it does, price sounds about right as have been monitoring them recently, check all the toys work, at 83k it should not need a set of engine mounts but a pain in the bum job if they do need doing, and yes the OM606 engine runs on anything!!!

6. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    `99 is the cross over year between facelift and not, I am yet to see a facelift with the 606 engine, facelifts should have the 320CDI but thats not to say it isnt possible...

7. aka$h

aka$h Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
    It will defo be a prefacelift, as the e300 was phased out for the e320cdi at time of facelift. Im pretty sure the e300 non turbo ceased production 96/97? A 99V will almost definatly be a turbodiesel.
    Is that an estate or saloon?
    And check for rust everywhere:
    Tail lid, near boot handle, with the lid open check the roof panel in the corners.
    front wings, arches and bumper to headlamp line
    doors, open each door and pull the top seal back and look for rust, very common area!
    Rear arches

8. OP
    OP
    philiggy

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    Pic of car

Cheers guys its a pre face lift TD saloon

[​IMG]

Phil

9. RodgerDodger

Car:
    99 - E300 TD - W210
    First impression only - looks good :)

See it has the extending headlamp wash

should have folding and auto dimming, heated rvm's - handy going into winter

maybe have auto tailgate release, ati-theft/tow, electric/heated seats - not sure if these are standard on ********** spec.

As well as the other common checks (see previous threads) suggest you should check when the next service is due - Fluids etc., and Glow Plugs in particular can be expensive (if they have not been changed - could be siezed) - just thinking this would possibly be big hit to take in the first year.

10. OP
    OP
    philiggy

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    I got it wrong its an Elegance with cruise control, rain sensitive wipers, and climate control, I'm not sure what was standard though.

I had a glow plug snap on my 124 E300, so I'm aware what a bu##er they can be

Phil

11. RodgerDodger

Car:
    99 - E300 TD - W210
    Worth driving the 75 miles to have a look me thinks

An elegance mmmm ... it may have some good other options too

12. AANDYY

AANDYY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
    Looks like a nice car. Nice colour.
    I might be biased though:)

13. OP
    OP
    philiggy

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    Thanks guys
    I'll let you know if i wasted my time or not tonight

Phil

14. CL420

CL420 Member

Car:
    2005 Subaru Forester, 1939 Daimler ELS24
    Phil,

I have just sold my 96 E300D with 168K after nearly 3 years. Excellent car, good fuel economy, not as sluggish as people say, not as rough as people say. Only reason I sold it, or I would still be driving it - RUST. Didn't have a mark on it when I bought it, and I checked every inch. In 2 years, admittedly in a harsh climate here, it now has rust on all 4 arches, all 4 doors, and the boot lid. I didn't think it would make another winter without becoming unsightly. But mechanically I would say it was smoother than when I bought it with 118K on it.

Common things which go wrong and which I had fixed also include fuel delivery pipes - they are made from cheap plastic, and are a push fit. They go brittle and leak, causing starting problems and diesel leaks. Not too expensive to get fixed if I remember right. The chain tensioner may also need doing if it sounds a bit rattly - I now have an E320 CDI and the E300D sounds no more rattly at idle than that if the chain is properly tensioned.

Mine was an Avantgarde with leather, aircon, Kahn wheels and a private plate. I advertised it for £2200 and nearly got my arm bit off. I think the one you are interested in looks good for £2.5K if its kosher.

15. OP
    OP
    philiggy

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    Thanks for the advice guys, I've bought it.

I left a deposit and I'll pick it up when the number plate change goes through, the garage who are putting it on his new car say about 10 days.

The car was nice and drove very well, other than one rear window every thing works
    Its just had 2 front tyres for MOT and one of them has a slow puncture, there is a bit of rust on the N/s wing bottom, next to the rear bumper and a bit under the rubber on the drivers door, front spring area was good, but I couldn't see the crossmember.

The servicing isn,t great, non MB for the last few years, but for the money it seems a good car, I'll know for definate when I get it home

Phil

16. 230K

230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
    Hi

Congratsl

Welcome to the 210 Tubodiesel community.

17. OP
    OP
    philiggy

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    Thanks,
    I'll wean myself off the 124 over the next week or so

Phil

18. RodgerDodger

Car:
    99 - E300 TD - W210
    Hi Phil - he who dares wins!;)

It would be appreciated if you could post your early thoughts on the car over the next few weeks - i.e., first impressions and experiences before your smitten - good/bad warts an all.

I was very impressed with performance from a standing start - when you use kickdown and the torbo lets rip:devil: - also the engine sound when you use kickdown for overtaking. I still get average 29-30 when i use this performance.

and any comments on the the gadgets, drive, comfort etc
    thanks R

PS . I would get MB to check out the spring perches and crossmembers - they should do this - i got my sp's replaced this year by MB (xmember was fine) at no cost as they came under H&S/structural warranty.

19. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Good luck with the new motor. I6 engines are wonderful and I am sure you'll enjoy it.

20. OP
    OP
    philiggy

Car:
    C180 Estate & C220 CDI
    Thanks guys,
    Hopefully it wont be tooooo bad, I'll keep you updated, with pics if any jobs need doing.
    Will MB still look at my spring perches and crossmember without full MB service history ?

Phil

Tags: