Advice on what to do with a clk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mymini007

Car
Mini (real one) CLS320
I an after some advice, I have been asked to sell this on. It needs some tidying, but would you .......
A, leave as is and try to get whatever i can
B, Spend a few quid and make it into a better car

I have is listed in the classifieds at the moment, with a "price" on it, but that seems to be well over what its worth?

Is it worth spending money on? It drives well, just looks a bit scruffy

It's a 2000/2001 CLK 130000 on the clock.

They have owned the car for 14 years. Unfortunately my uncle is not one for paperwork and had a clear out because the folder was "cluttered with pointless receipts" So threw them all away.

The car has been serviced by the same garage for the last 14 years so service history should not be too hard to trace. (I will give them a call this week to see what I can find out)

So the car.....

Bodywork

I know the car has had some body work to the drivers side. New door skin, wing and mirror, after my uncle had a run in with a fence. This was 3 or 4 years ago. I think this was registered by the insurance company, so may carry a CAT D but will check (not sure how yet)

There is a patch or rust on the bonnet in the centre below the grille. The passenger side wing looks like one of MBs finest, and will need to be replaced or repaired. There is a shallow dent in the boot lid, I would imagine this would be easily sorted, but it's not broken the paint. The bumpers are scuffed on the corners. And some kind person has run a key along the rear quarter, but it's not deep.

Wheels

All tyres are legal. There is a rim around the outer part of the wheel that had oxidized, and will need to me tidied up. But the wheels seem straight.

Interior

Black leather, memory front drivers seat, some scuffing on the bolster as you would expect. Other than that pretty good.
One of the wood door capping is broken, this could be replaced easy or left, it's just cosmetic. All the buttons seem to work. The AC is less than adequate, but then, I think most MBs of this age are the same. I know mine was.
The steering wheel controls seem to work.
Now the thing that did surprise me here is, that it has a command system, I have not seen a CLK this age with command before, but it has one.
I have not tried to connect a phone, or use the nav, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Mechanicals

The car starts and runs as you should expect, it shifts up through the gears and back down again with no problems. The tiptronic works well too, and no issues with the kickdown. No smoke under load, and runs smoothly at idle. The brakes seem to be fine, as does the suspension. I though I heard a light knock after going over a speed bump, but I have not heard it since. It has some MOT left, 4 months I think.
The reversing lights do not work, I have read that this will be the switch on the selector. Not sure how difficult this is to replace.

It's not a minter by any means, but she starts and drives and is very comfortable, if you are looking for a project or just a runabout this could be the one. If I had the time and space I would keep it for myself. But I have neither.

It does sound a little rough, but I wouldn't pour much money in to it; you won't get it back in the sale price.

Does it owe you (or your uncle) anything?

I an after some advice, I have been asked to sell this on. It needs some tidying, but would you .......

I have is listed in the classifieds at the moment, with a "price" on it, but that seems to be well over what its worth?

They have owned the car for 14 years. Unfortunately my uncle is not one for paperwork and had a clear out because the folder was "cluttered with pointless receipts" So threw them all away.

The car has been serviced by the same garage for the last 14 years so service history should not be too hard to trace. (I will give them a call this week to see what I can find out)

So the car.....

Bodywork

I know the car has had some body work to the drivers side. New door skin, wing and mirror, after my uncle had a run in with a fence. This was 3 or 4 years ago. I think this was registered by the insurance company, so may carry a CAT D but will check (not sure how yet)

There is a patch or rust on the bonnet in the centre below the grille. The passenger side wing looks like one of MBs finest, and will need to be replaced or repaired. There is a shallow dent in the boot lid, I would imagine this would be easily sorted, but it's not broken the paint. The bumpers are scuffed on the corners. And some kind person has run a key along the rear quarter, but it's not deep.

Wheels

All tyres are legal. There is a rim around the outer part of the wheel that had oxidized, and will need to me tidied up. But the wheels seem straight.

Interior

Black leather, memory front drivers seat, some scuffing on the bolster as you would expect. Other than that pretty good.
One of the wood door capping is broken, this could be replaced easy or left, it's just cosmetic. All the buttons seem to work. The AC is less than adequate, but then, I think most MBs of this age are the same. I know mine was.
Now the thing that did surprise me here is, that it has a command system, I have not seen a CLK this age with command before, but it has one.
I have not tried to connect a phone, or use the nav, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Mechanicals

The car starts and runs as you should expect, it shifts up through the gears and back down again with no problems. The tiptronic works well too, and no issues with the kickdown. No smoke under load, and runs smoothly at idle. The brakes seem to be fine, as does the suspension. I though I heard a light knock after going over a speed bump, but I have not heard it since. It has some MOT left, 4 months I think.
The reversing lights do not work, I have read that this will be the switch on the selector. Not sure how difficult this is to replace.

It's not a minter by any means, but she starts and drives and is very comfortable, if you are looking for a project or just a runabout this could be the one. If I had the time and space I would keep it for myself. But I have neither.

Not heard of HPI?

Hi,
To give you some idea on prices, friend of mine has just bought a 1 owner clk55 AMG, 268k miles fully optioned up interior good condition with only normal wear on driver's seat, exterior rust wise normal bubbling on arches no dents, but damaged front bumper, and needed some welding to the sill areas on both sides, £300.
Also a CLK 230K with 150k miles bit rougher in the body but a 51 plate and needs no welding £250
I am not saying that is what your one is worth but I wouldn't expect much more, and as others have said as in good condition they struggle to make 1k-1.5k.

I saw the car advertised for sale on this forum but as we can't comment on that particular thread I couldn't tell you that your figure of £1000-1300 was miles out.

£300 if you are lucky.

I saw the car advertised for sale on this forum but as we can't comment on that particular thread I couldn't tell you that your figure of £1000-1300 was miles out.

£300 if you are lucky.

To be honest I had no idea what it was worth, so had a quick look on ebay, and the seem to be £500 - £3000 so I just put a figure as it would have been pulled down without a price.

Not really sure what to do with it. They said they would like £1000 for it, but looking around, and from what you guys have said, I will only get that if I sell it as parts, but I can't be bothered with the hassle of that.

Just had a chat to her and suggested it will only be with £200-£300 she didn't seem to be fussed either way.

Maybe strip it out and track it :D

Last edited:

So the car.....

Bodywork

Wheels

Interior

Mechanicals

You could stick it on Gumtree for a grand ( free advert ) and see what happens .

I don't think you'd get much more for it - there are lots of unloved cars of that age around and for low prices .

If you wanted to punt the cost of an MOT , that might lift the price a bit .

I may do, the W208 is at that point, nice car to drive but repair bills are more than the value of the car, and it's not hit the point where there are only a few left so, the price will go up. Maybe mothball it for 10 years, and wait till the rest rust away :D

Sell as is but whatever you do don't spend money on it unless you decide to keep the car. You could stick it on eBay with no reserve. If you get anything over £500 I think that would be fair enough.

That could be entertaining!

There's probably quite a lot of weight you could lose by stripping the interior; then you can make some money selling the parts you pulled-out anyway. :thumb:

I was thinking that myself, RWD, light back end, I would say 90-100kg of non essential stuff in there to come out. :cool:

You could probably get something for the Comand unit , and stick a basic Audio 10 in the hole - sort of thing you'd get in the scrappy for a tenner - then still sell the car for the same price .

I was thinking that myself, RWD, light back end, I would say 90-100kg of non essential stuff in there to come out. :cool:
You know you want to...

I would genuinely be interested to see how it goes; my W209 is pretty tail happy and it's really only the electronics that keep it in check.

There's a string of parts that would probably net more money than trying to sell it as a whole; the memory seats in leather would probably pay for a cheap bucket seat. You don't need COMAND on the track. Scabby bodywork and rims don't mean anything on the track.
If you took the rear seats out, then you've got the mounting points for a four-point harness.

You know you want to...

I would genuinely be interested to see how it goes; my W209 is pretty tail happy and it's really only the electronics that keep it in check.

There's a string of parts that would probably net more money than trying to sell it as a whole; the memory seats in leather would probably pay for a cheap bucket seat. You don't need COMAND on the track. Scabby bodywork and rims don't mean anything on the track.
If you took the rear seats out, then you've got the mounting points for a four-point harness.

No matter what he does to it for using it on the track, it will be useless without getting a decent set of shocks and springs and that's just for starters. And if a 100kg was removed the standard suspension setup would probably be worse. I really don't think an auto CLK is even close to a reasonable starting point for just a fun track car.

stick it on gumtree for £1000 fir a few weeks then ebay with little or no reserve.

Have you entered the details into WBAC to see what they're offering ?

That gives you a bottom line valuation .

have you entered the details into wbac to see what they're offering ?

That gives you a bottom line valuation .

£145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom