Advice on Wine Cabinets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Not to store wine but to keep ready for serving. We tend to get a wine delivery every 4-6 weeks, 36-48 bottles mixed red, white and sparkling. The wine rests for a week to recover from shipping then we enjoy!

Serving at the correct temperature has always been a bit hit 'n miss and a chore, especially when imbibing more than the one bottle ;)

So, looking to purchase a temperature controlled, 2 zone cabinet, to hold approx 50 bots max. We have a location in mind, understair in our hallway. No direct sunlight and relatively cool.

Does anyone have experience of these cabinets, a recommendation for a reliable, quiet model?

Not to store wine but to keep ready for serving. We tend to get a wine delivery every 4-6 weeks, 36-48 bottles mixed red, white and sparkling. The wine rests for a week to recover from shipping then we enjoy!

Serving at the correct temperature has always been a bit hit 'n miss and a chore, especially when imbibing more than the one bottle ;)

So, looking to purchase a temperature controlled, 2 zone cabinet, to hold approx 50 bots max. We have a location in mind, understair in our hallway. No direct sunlight and relatively cool.

Does anyone have experience of these cabinets, a recommendation for a reliable, quiet model?

We installed a dual zone CDA wine fridge a while back, just under 50 bottles if I remember. Not sure on noise levels but if you call them they should know if OK for home use versus commercial installations in noisy venues.

I've looked into this more than once thinking I'd pick up something "mid range" to keep no more than 24 bottle in at a time.

The thing is there really doesn't appear to be a mid range in this kind of product. There's cheap stuff that doesn't appear to be very reliable and stuff that works really well but it basically commercial quality. This makes it large and/or a bit pricey.

Been looking and they seem to be around £1000 - £2000.

You need a cellar. White may be chilled enough to drink straight from there and reds can be brought up to breathe and reach room temperature.

Mrs Swotty wondered why we needed a house with a cellar.:dk:

Comes as standard in this part of France!

Good luck in your search.

Stuart

I think getting a cellar is going to be somewhat more expensive! :)

We keep a few cases, mixed red, white and rose under the stairs. The white is usually OK to drink without any further cooling and the red is brought to room temperature as and when required.

so if you live in a very hot country where the room temp is way over that, do you need to chill the red down to 18 degrees?

YUP - average UK room temperature is 18 degrees (disregarding pikey and council houses) and the best temperature to have red wine at is 18 degrees. So a perfect match. If you are based somewhere else then you are right - you need to heat up or cool down the old vino tinto :thumb:

p.s. White wine at 10 to 11 degrees for the win :rock:

moonloops said:
YUP - average UK room temperature is 18 degrees (disregarding pikey and council houses) and the best temperature to have red wine at is 18 degrees. So a perfect match. If you are based somewhere else then you are right - you need to heat up or cool down the old vino tinto :thumb: p.s. White wine at 10 to 11 degrees for the win :rock:
Thanks.

I learnt recently that room temperature for red isn't modern centrally heated room temperature of 20/21 c.
More likely to be 17/18 c.

Hence the requirement for a temperature controlled 'serving' cabinet. Take all the guesswork and faffing about out of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom