Advice/Opinions on this CLS55 AMG? - I need an AMG again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Morning all

I have had a long hard think and I have decided that I should part with the SL500 at some point. I am just not getting to using it and it is wasted sitting there in the garage. No rush as have a couple of bits I want to do to get it as good as it can be. It has just had a large service @ PCS to correct anything that needed doing with a new MOT & zero advisories.

Therefore leaves me a spot I could fill and I came across a CLS55 AMG this week that took my eye. I have been itching to get back into an AMG again and having had the SL55 and E55K that 55K engine is hard to resist. I could go E55K or SL55 but think a CLS55 would be a better option.

This one is for sale and is a forum members car:
Mercedes-Benz CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr

It looks like a decent lower mile 2 owner car. Decent spec but not top or bottom spec'd. Only thing I am struggling with is a value as I know nothing about values on these.

The history is not perfect but could be worse and could be better:
Date Mileage
10/10/05 0 - Supplied New
04/09/06 9847 - Mercedes Benz of Newcastle
15/01/08 18329 - Mercedes Benz of Newcastle
18/12/08 25524 - Formala One Newcastle
03/11/10 31745 - Keys Bexleyheath
13/02/13 37869 - Keys Bexleyheath
02/02/15 45662 - Keys Bexleyheath
31/08/16 53163 - Stevensons Maidstone

Anyone know the suggested service intervals? Should it be 10k or annually in a perfect world?

Any ideas on value of the car and anything good or bad about it please?

Service is 10k or 12 months whichever soonest.

Thanks. So this one is nowhere near bible perfect but sat somewhere in between.

I guess it wasn't doing 10k per year and was serviced more on combination of time and mileage. I think to stretch it to 18 months or 2 years max before an oil change at low miles is OK but this one is stretching it a bit far in places? Do you think it is decent enough?

I believe it's 10,000 miles or 18 months for the AMGs.

Service is 10k or 12 months whichever soonest.

Are you certain this applies to this car?

The move to a 1 year max service interval was introduced in around July 2006. For cars made before then, ASSYST would allow a max of 2 years, providing 229.5 oil had been entered when resetting a car's Service Interval setting.

Are AMG models fixed to a 1 year max though?

Last edited:
I was told mine had to be done annually, regardless of mileage.

Codger49 said:
Are you certain this applies to this car? The move to a 1 year max service interval was introduced in around July 2006. For cars made before then, ASSYST would allow a max of 2 years, providing 229.5 oil had been entered when resetting a car's Service Interval setting. Are AMG models fixed to a 1 year max though?

No they are not.
It's a old car and has been serviced regular, people need to stop over analysing trivial matters on car forums, go buy it.

Or, if in doubt, look elsewhere, plenty of cars for sale

No they are not.
It's a old car and has been serviced regular, people need to stop over analysing trivial matters on car forums, go buy it.

Servicing a trivial matter??

whitenemesis said:
Servicing a trivial matter??

When it's in black and white and on a regular basis/low miles like below then yes it definitely is -

Date Mileage
10/10/05 0 - Supplied New
04/09/06 9847 - Mercedes Benz of Newcastle
15/01/08 18329 - Mercedes Benz of Newcastle
18/12/08 25524 - Formala One Newcastle
03/11/10 31745 - Keys Bexleyheath
13/02/13 37869 - Keys Bexleyheath
02/02/15 45662 - Keys Bexleyheath
31/08/16 53163 - Stevensons Maidstone

Codger49 said:
Are you certain this applies to this car? The move to a 1 year max service interval was introduced in around July 2006. For cars made before then, ASSYST would allow a max of 2 years, providing 229.5 oil had been entered when resetting a car's Service Interval setting. Are AMG models fixed to a 1 year max though?

Correct it's up to every two years.

Thanks for all the replies & info. A myriad of different info so I guess I'll pick the bones out of it.

As I said originally & it seems my view is unchanged. It could be better & could be worse. Value therefore middling as can't be top money. However seems a decent enough car & workableif the price is right. Just not 100% sure what that price should be. Any ideas?

At 10k it seems cheap. At 12k it seems maybe high. Maybe somewhere inbetween is the right area.

I agree Graham's E55K looks good & has had more cash spent on it. Just struggling to get away from the CLS being a much nicer shape & looks more youthful than the E55K.

The CLS55 in question has no recent known history of SBC pump, air suspension work/pump, SC cooler, AC compressor or any of these things that these cars tend to need replacing 50k-100k. Brakes were replaced at 50k though.

Decisions decisions.

Last edited:
The seller has been open, honest and very pleasant to deal with which is nice.

Are you certain this applies to this car?

The move to a 1 year max service interval was introduced in around July 2006. For cars made before then, ASSYST would allow a max of 2 years, providing 229.5 oil had been entered when resetting a car's Service Interval setting.

Are AMG models fixed to a 1 year max though?

First bit's right, second isn't.

When I bought mine I was told every 12 months by the salesman, obviously used to newer cars, so booked it in when that time came around. Service department rang back later to say I was misinformed and it didn't need one until it said so and at the mileage I had done they didn't think it would be for the best part of another year...and they were right!

Very impressed how honest they were and it's another thing that makes these cars much cheaper to run than you might think...if you don't do too many miles :)

Makes sense to me that these would be more indicator based so the car tells you when it needs a service. Not sure it should ever be left more than 2 years though regardless.

As the mileage builds, and Any Remap's etc, id half the interval, I do my e55k every 3k miles.

Deleted... I didn't read the first post

Thanks all. So here is a question. As these can cost a few quid to fix if a few big things go wrong I'm guessing most people will often prefer to pay a smidge more & buy from an Indy trader/dealer with some come back and/or warranty. Therefore I can see why some older big lumpy cars are harder to sell especially privately.

Would you agree? What price differential would you say to buy privately against an indy trader/dealer purchase?

I'm struggling to see this CLS55 worth more than 11k to me at the moment. What was the rough new price on a 2005 CLS55?

Tempted by this car but can't see it at a price starting with a 12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom