Advice & Opinions - Soon to sell my 1999 R129 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
I have finally made the decision that I should sell the SL. It is just not getting enough use and needs to go to a home where it will be used more.

Don't get me wrong it has had a lovely home for the last few years. Has been regularly serviced and looked after by the lovely guys @ PCS. Has always had any money it needs spent on it.

I have been doing bits and bobs to make it as good as it can be without going silly silly. Just would be good to get some thoughts and opinions on how far to go and also most importantly working out a price it should be sold for.

It is a late facelift 1999/T with 73k miles. I am only the 3rd owner with 2 previous owners. It is Obsidian Black metallic with light grey leather interior.

The first owner bought it from Greenoaks Mercedes, Ascot and had it serviced there during his ownership. He owned it for about 7 years from 1999>2006. I have the original bill of sale showing a new price of just over £72.5k.

Then it was owned by the owner of a car sales/service business. It was serviced every year religiously in his ownership. He owned it for about 9 years 2006>2015.

I have continued this and spent about £5k over my about 4 years owning the car. I have just had a service @ PCS last week with additional brake fluid change. Also had a leak in the front roof rams. These have been replaced with brand new OEM rams and also the right mechanism replaced as there was a little play causing the roof not to latch fully. Only £400 for the mech!

I have ordered a new speaker cover for the driver’s side as some of the clips have snapped so it isn’t tight on the door card. I have also ordered a new NSF Xenon headlight glass from Mercedes Stevenage as there is a chip. I have replaced the NSF indicator lens with a brand new OEM part as there was a crack/chip.

I have added brand new OEM spec velour carpets mats sourced from SVS. A full 4 mat set front & rear. I have a brand new OEM leather seat base I bought that hasn’t been fitted. I was buying cost effective spares to keep over time as I know R129 parts can be tricky to by new often.

I know I’m unlikely to get my money back as it stands me in at over £15k. Question is how much I should put it up for sale for? Any thoughts or opinions?

It has always been stored in a dehumidified indoor space on a trickle charger so well looked after. It makes a massive difference keeping a car indoors in a nice dehumidified space. I highly recommend it ;)

I am kind of tempted by an R129.....been looking on and off for a few years. If you still have it in a years time, PM me as I may have the funds then to buy it. FWIW I think it sounds like a £15k car if the condition is as you describe.

Got any pics??

You won't go far wrong with a nice R129. Highly recommended. This is my 3rd.

Thanks for the thoughts. I suspect your right to pop the car up for £14995 and see what offers come in. That price might be a little strong but will see what other thoughts and opinions come in.

Will take some new pics this weekend but have a few fairly recent ones.

24d01b957428fe8703362a6cbe41cbda.jpg
fc0d75f550b67507aa6ed88bbcc047c7.jpg
af1cddec4342781d3bf654bf521fd335.jpg
51962111cd73db4737adafc00710f92f.jpg
ab9fc84bdfacdc577a77dc7019e26c9e.jpg

Gorgeous car there. :)
2 queations:
1. Are you a collector of cardboard boxes?
2. Can't make out from the just showing wheel what the blue cover is hiding.
;)

2 queations:
;)
Thanks.

1. I was an avid collector it seems until recently! As in the last 5 years my garage ended up being the temp home for boxes/stuff from firstly a house move, then closing an office, then closing a second office! Looking a bit better/clear these days.

2. It is a lovely as new 2007 Maserati 4200 with only 14k miles. I have a 4 post lift on that side now so she lives upstairs most of the time. It was in a clever money cars article/shoot in Modern Classics the other year.

The poor garage has endured a long running battle of works but over halfway through now.

One day I'll get there!
6d8bedac8d4c080f133acee320bdeb62.jpg
b481fd8d0e17c67ca01842ed4fa78da4.jpg
6748e8358c276650adc90985b2ad0dd7.jpg

2 queations:
;)
Thanks.

1. I was an avid collector it seems until recently! As in the last 5 years my garage ended up being the temp home for boxes/stuff from firstly a house move, then closing an office, then closing a second office! Looking a bit better/clear these days.

2. It is a lovely as new 2007 Maserati 4200 with only 14k miles. I have a 4 post lift on that side now so she lives upstairs most of the time. It was in a clever money cars article/shoot in Modern Classics the other year.

The poor garage has endured a long running battle of works but over halfway through now.

One day I'll get there!
6d8bedac8d4c080f133acee320bdeb62.jpg
b481fd8d0e17c67ca01842ed4fa78da4.jpg
6748e8358c276650adc90985b2ad0dd7.jpg
Excellent. And a TVR to boot!! My kind of garage.

Indeed. Always wanted a TVR as a kid and realised the dream 2 years ago. Got an early 1993 Mk1 Chimaera initially then changed it last year for a later 1998 Mk2 with slightly more of a 'TVR' colour with Speed 6 headlight conversion.

There is a thread on the garage project detailing the progress/works if it is ever of any use for anyone doing similar:
Any Builders in/around Hertfordshire? Garage Roof Truss mod for 4 post lift

tvr-chimaera-S3591827-3v2.jpg RearSM-Plate.jpg

You won't go far wrong with a nice R129.

You won't go far at all with a nasty, neglected R129. Don't ask me how I know...

That didn't sound like a nice experience. I had similar to be honest as my first R129 SL500 was filled with issues. I learnt hard and fast though! Was it really bad then?

It's all on here:

Bought an R129 unseen - a Cautionary Tale...

Well, except for the final (un)happy ending. I had the R129 running well, and nice new wheels and tyres were fitted, and it was fine; until I was led astray by a gorgeous dark blue Jaguar XK... so the R129 had to go. The day before I took it down for a new MoT to be able to sell it, I took it for a run, and the camchain tensioner let go. The engine was scrap...

That was the last straw. I sold it for breaking to Carl Burgess, and thanks to the genuine AMG bodykit it had on it he offered me twice his first offer before he knew about the body kit, so it could have been worse. It was bad enough, though...

Reactions: 219
I have finally made the decision that I should sell the SL. It is just not getting enough use and needs to go to a home where it will be used more.

Don't get me wrong it has had a lovely home for the last few years. Has been regularly serviced and looked after by the lovely guys @ PCS. Has always had any money it needs spent on it.

I have been doing bits and bobs to make it as good as it can be without going silly silly. Just would be good to get some thoughts and opinions on how far to go and also most importantly working out a price it should be sold for.

It is a late facelift 1999/T with 73k miles. I am only the 3rd owner with 2 previous owners. It is Obsidian Black metallic with light grey leather interior.

The first owner bought it from Greenoaks Mercedes, Ascot and had it serviced there during his ownership. He owned it for about 7 years from 1999>2006. I have the original bill of sale showing a new price of just over £72.5k.

Then it was owned by the owner of a car sales/service business. It was serviced every year religiously in his ownership. He owned it for about 9 years 2006>2015.

I have continued this and spent about £5k over my about 4 years owning the car. I have just had a service @ PCS last week with additional brake fluid change. Also had a leak in the front roof rams. These have been replaced with brand new OEM rams and also the right mechanism replaced as there was a little play causing the roof not to latch fully. Only £400 for the mech!

I have ordered a new speaker cover for the driver’s side as some of the clips have snapped so it isn’t tight on the door card. I have also ordered a new NSF Xenon headlight glass from Mercedes Stevenage as there is a chip. I have replaced the NSF indicator lens with a brand new OEM part as there was a crack/chip.

I have added brand new OEM spec velour carpets mats sourced from SVS. A full 4 mat set front & rear. I have a brand new OEM leather seat base I bought that hasn’t been fitted. I was buying cost effective spares to keep over time as I know R129 parts can be tricky to by new often.

I know I’m unlikely to get my money back as it stands me in at over £15k. Question is how much I should put it up for sale for? Any thoughts or opinions?
Be very careful when you replace the light lens. I did onw on my wifes also 99 sl320 and whilst its not a dificult job the little plastic clips that hold the lens in are quite (after all these years ) brittle plastic and snap very easily. very gentle and ver slow is the way.

Reactions: 219
It's all on here:

Bought an R129 unseen - a Cautionary Tale...

Well, except for the final (un)happy ending. I had the R129 running well, and nice new wheels and tyres were fitted, and it was fine; until I was led astray by a gorgeous dark blue Jaguar XK... so the R129 had to go. The day before I took it down for a new MoT to be able to sell it, I took it for a run, and the camchain tensioner let go. The engine was scrap...

That was the last straw. I sold it for breaking to Carl Burgess, and thanks to the genuine AMG bodykit it had on it he offered me twice his first offer before he knew about the body kit, so it could have been worse. It was bad enough, though...
Ah, I think I remember reading a bit about this now. I am sure we have all had one of those pain in the butt cars/experiences. Maybe a lemon thread is needed.

Be very careful when you replace the light lens. I did onw on my wifes also 99 sl320 and whilst its not a dificult job the little plastic clips that hold the lens in are quite (after all these years ) brittle plastic and snap very easily. very gentle and ver slow is the way.
Thanks very much for that. Luckily a considered and careful approach is one of my primary characteristics.

Good luck with the sale..... :) You've cared for it, and the new owner will have a nice motor on their hands :)

My hunt for an SL has been put on hold for now thanks to the damn ULEZ!!! :(

2 queations:
;)

Excellent. And a TVR to boot!! My kind of garage.
I always wanted a TVR too Cerbera but was never brave enough to take the risk!

Looks like a lovely car. I have no expertise on pricing the R129 today except to say that, from previous experience with its legendary predecessor, good cars with lower mileage and low number of owners command a premium over more normal cars, so at first glance, I think you have a good chance of achieving the number you're suggesting.

Personally, I'd critically research similar cars being offered, while bearing in mind that asking price is never the same as deal done. Many people ask unrealistic prices - it's a vanity thing - you need to work out what they will actually sell for.

Just doing some final jobs on the car. Stereo fixed.....simple blown 10a mini fuse [emoji6]

Just took off and re-fixed the under bonnet insulation that had a few places it had dropped. All complete nicely with the right heat resistant adhesive. Looks very nice now. Knew the old duvet cover would come in handy!

8ce06b6b13dee1bc7e7aed7b305b5b07.jpg
d586b7b388ee0f333afdf579401230cd.jpg

Next job replace Xenon headlight glass that has a chip. Part was a bargain at nearly 150 quid from MD!

a41083cfd0ae066abf35a2eea470d19b.jpg
17fcfe237f02c9a6874160d363cc9280.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom